Author Topic: Please help me pick an airsoft pistol (Glock 17 form factor)  (Read 3791 times)

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
Please help me pick an airsoft pistol (Glock 17 form factor)
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:00:44 PM »
I attended a simunitions based force-on-force training event at cqtusa.com here in Michigan. The also do regular force-on-force training using airsoft. I would like to purchase an airsoft pistol to use at the training events. I would like it to be based on the Glock 17 and I don't care about blow-back, color or even weight necessarily. I really want it to fire semi-auto. I don't need the full auto option, because my Glock 17 isn't full auto (bummer). I would like it to be able to fit properly in my Blackhawk SERPA holster and hopefully be durable enough to no self destruct if it gets dropped during training.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
Re: Please help me pick an airsoft pistol (Glock 17 form factor)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
Here it is.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Tokyo_Marui_Tokyo_Marui_G17_3rd_Generation.htm

You can tell by the price it is not a toy.  When I ever get some spare cash (hahaha) I want to get one to train with.
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
That one looks really nice. Are all the force-on-force usable pistols gas based? I would rather have to deal with batteries instead of gas, but if gas it the best way to go...so be it.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
I can't say for sure, but from my research, all the high end / non-toy air soft guns are gas operated. 
When did the Constitution ever stop a liberal.  - nkawtg
Nobody really believes in Hell, until they get there.

Inflatable goats, angel farting unicorns, zombie raptors, sunburnt pig-zebra, bug-eyed-rat-dog, undocumented photosynthesizers, The Rabbit Emperor... and the TSP menagerie grows.

Offline Spencer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Preppin' in Tomball, TX!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
Hey, I know it's been a while since this thread was active, hope I'm not necroing something dead, but:

All airsoft pistols I use are gas operated; since they're not getting heavy duty in milsim ops (like my M4 is), the gas works just fine, especially since you're mainly using it for last-ditch CQB (close-quarters battle) situations.

I prefer the gas over say, AEG (electric) or basic spring pistols.  That doesn't mean the others aren't good, just my preference.

Tokyo Marui is one of the best Airsoft manufacturers in the world; their items are amazing.

As for 'high end' being gas or electric (AEG), it depends on the manufacturer.  For my M4 and my M249, I stick with AEG...much more upgradeable and I like how they operate, but again my pistol is gas.  Less chance for electric components to go haywire :)

Some great vids and products over at www.airsoftgi.com  The frontman, "Tim", gives excellent gear reviews.  Take a looksie :)
Spence
USS Portsmouth SSN-707
USS Topeka SSN-754

TSP Member Support Brigade!

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
FWIW: I have the G18c (http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Pistols_SMGs_Tokyo_Marui_Tokyo_Marui_Model_18c_GBB.htm).  I bought it to match my G17...which, with the exception of the select fire lever, it's identical in looks and feel (and full auto is just damn fun). I left the orange markings on it for good reason. Pick it up with a mag in it and you have to think twice...it's that close to the real thing.  I use it for "dry-fire" exercises both inside (garage) and outside. Pellets have enough force to penetrate cardboard, so you get good feedback at close ranges. While the blow-back force isn't nearly as much as live rounds, it's realistic enough.

Gas shouldn't be an issue because you gas up the magazine, not the weapon. Unless the training includes loading magazines "live", you can just top off the gas when you reload the mag. Pop in a new mag, you have new gas.

I wouldn't be dropping the mags too often on hard surfaces, though. They are not as stout as the real thing.

Offline BillyG60

• Prepper
    • Central Florida Video Surf Report
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
Bringing back a dead thread.
 I have just purchased a Glock 19 airsoft gun that is made by We. I had been trying, very unsuccessful I might add, to get an advantage arms .22 conversion kit for my Glock 19 for training purposes.

Started looking at glock replicas in the airsoft world and recently came across http://www.popularairsoft.com/news/we-glock-19-gbb-pistols-airsoft-helper at airsplat.com.

So for 99 bucks I figured Id give it a shot. Also got the propane conversion piece. Pleasantly surprised. It weighs about 5 oz shy of my loaded Glock 19 (29.7 oz)  the WE Glock 19 (24.1 OZ). Minor adjustment had to be mad to my holster, but it is an exact fit.(The extra barrel length comes from the Orange saftey tip---about 1/4 of an inch.

Been shooting and running drills inside for about a week now and this thing rocks. Sights are pretty accurate at close range, but the further out you get (past 25 yrds or so) the airsoft bb's start doing some crazy curve-ball type trajectories.

Glock 19 at airsplat   http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GP-WE-G19-GBB.htm

They also have the 17 in stock  http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GP-WE-G17-GBB.htm