Author Topic: Mandatory Flu Shots At Work  (Read 85873 times)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Mandatory Flu Shots At Work
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
Daughter Number Two works at hospital in Indiana and she told me a couple days ago that flu shot is mandatory this year and she isn't very happy about it. Legal???, have no clue, but just the idea that they are saying it is mandatory annoys her and actually me too. My job has optional flu shot available if we want one and it's free. I don't get a shot, but that's just my weirdo choice. ;D

endurance

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
That (in bold) I didn't know. How do they draw the line between religion and personal belief. Documented position of an organized religion?

Also good point on the state issue.
From 29 CFR:
Sec. 1605.1  ``Religious'' nature of a practice or belief.

In most cases whether or not a practice or belief is religious is
not at issue. However, in those cases in which the issue does exist, the
Commission will define religious practices to include moral or ethical
beliefs as to what is right and wrong which are sincerely held with the
strength of traditional religious views. This standard was developed in
United States v. Seeger, 380 U.S. 163 (1965) and Welsh v. United States,
398 U.S. 333 (1970). The Commission has consistently applied this
standard in its decisions.<SUP>1</SUP> The fact that no religious group
espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the
individual professes to belong may not accept such belief will not
determine whether the belief is a religious belief of the employee or
prospective employee. The phrase ``religious practice'' as used in these
Guidelines includes both religious observances and practices, as stated
in section 701(j), 42 U.S.C. 2000e(j).
There's the law... and then there's the case law.  In many cases the individual will actually have to have the pastor, minister, etc. testify as to the duration of the relationship with the individual in the church along with the practices of the particular church.  With the more conservative (read: pro-corporate) courts that have evolved over the last 20 years, the interpretation has really shut the door to deeply held personal beliefs being protected unless you're backed up by a congregation.  However, in Colorado there is actually a very broad interpretation of a state religious discrimination law (that reads almost identical to the federal law, but does specifically state "deeply held personal beliefs", thus the state court case law has backed it up).  You're probably going to see the full spectrum on the state level from state to state, but on the federal level, the case law is pretty entrenched through the appeals courts.

Don't forget the amount of religious persecution that the courts have not only allowed, but sanctioned in the modern era, particularly with the Mormon church.  While I personally agree with the courts on the issues regarding the legal age of consent (and marrying children at age 13 is wrong), the rest of the poligamy argument blows me away.  What occurs behind closed doors between consenting adults is no business of the police or courts.  What business is it of the courts to tell citizens what constitutes a family?  <steps off soap box>

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
All the physicians in my clinic got immunized this week, even though it's not mandatory....although as brainwashed members of the medical-industrial complex we are powerless to resist. 

But seriously, like every year, I'm crusading to get the rest of the staff to follow our lead by explaining the same old facts in an attempt to dispel the same old myths.  Most days I wonder if I'd get better results by banging my head against a concrete wall, instead. 

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
I applaud your willingness to stand by what you believe.  Perhaps you will convert another sheep or two in your workplace.

Whether the flu shot is prudent or not does not matter.  These silly one-size-fits-all policies become accepted without question.  It's a dangerous trend.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
I agree it's a dangerous trend.  Mandating behavior change is a very slippery slope.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
A previous poster stated earlier that you have less rights than you think you do in the work place.  And if anyplace can claim safety as the reason, a hospital is it.  And in our current political environment, I don't think there is any argument you can win.  Is this a private or public hospital?

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
So I went to work last weekend expecting to see the flu shot policy unveiled, but nstead our website says it is undergoing further review. I had talked with the employee health nurse, and she told me the current policy had passed every Boards' vote except the lawyers and that vote was to be in a couple days. I told her that I would not be taking the shot due to a religious exemption and she told me the plan is to fire anyone who doesn't take it. The points I made to her were:

-the policy allows people who are allergic to the shot to remain at work

-people who are allergic will be required to wear a mask when at work from November to March

-I do not vaccinate for religious reasons

-I am willing to work under the same accommodation they are making for others, so there is no danger to patients

-the hospital would be firing me over a religious belief that, while it may inconvenience me, poses no threat to patient's

After that she said she hadn't thought about it like that and would bring the issue up. I am hoping they will just add the exemption to the policy rather than fight it out. We'll have to see.

I am actually a big believer in employer rights, but there are protections in our state constitution that apply to everyone.

Just a funny side note, but my kids usually ask me "did you bring me anything?" when I get home on the evening. Last Sunday they both greeted me like it was Christmas morning, asking "did you get fired yet?". They would love for me to be home all the time!

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
Okay, now you would have a lawsuit on your hands.  While I think an employer is within their rights to mandate shots or make you take precautions, they are violating your rights if you claim religion as your reason and they still fire you.

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
My work offers them but they are optional. Two days each year you just go up to a conference room and get a shot. I skipped the first day. I'm cannot decide if I'm going to get it or not.

Offline Wrender

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
I have a few sources I will share that will answer all of your vaccination question... well, at least most of them ;)

National Vaccine Information Center

Here you can find a large source of information that will help you to make a more informed decision on vaccinations.  There is even a vaccination ingredients calculator that breaks down vaccines for your age / weight / vaccination type into the ingredients used in those particular vaccines. 

There is also extensive resources showing the laws in each state in regards to grounds you may object to vaccinations.  Which can be found here.

I highly recommend reading the following article posted on Lew Rockwell's website by Joseph Mercola of mercola.com:  New Proof That This Common Medical Treatment Is Unnecessary and Ineffective

Regardless of your beliefs / feelings on vaccinations, please make informed decisions.  The adjuvents in the vaccinations are typically the source of adverse reactions.  To summarize an article written by Viera Schiebner PHD which can be found here

Quote from: Viera Schiebner PHD
VACCINATION: A SAFETY WARNING
The conclusions which follow the study of relevant medical and immunological literature dealing with vaccines and the adjuvants used in vaccines is that the absolute safety of these substances can never be guaranteed. According to Gupta et al. (1993), the toxicity of adjuvants can be ascribed in part to the unintended stimulation of various mechanisms of the immune response. That’s why the safety and adjuvancy must be balanced to get the maximum immune stimulation with minimum side effects.

My conclusion is that such balance is impossible to achieve, even if we fully understood the immune system and the full spectrum of deleterious effects of foreign antigens and other toxic substances such as vaccine and drug adjuvants and medications on the immune system of humans, and particularly on the immature immune system of babies and small children. Injecting any foreign substance straight into the bloodstream will only cause anaphylactic (sensitisation) reactions. Nature, over thousands and thousands of years, has developed effective immune responses; yet man, without respect for nature, demonstrably causes more harm than good.

Vaccination procedures are a highly politically motivated non-science, whose practitioners are only interested in injecting multitudes of vaccines without much interest or care as to their effects. Data collection on reactions to vaccines is only paid lip service, and the obvious ineffectiveness of vaccines to prevent diseases is glossed over.

The fact that natural infectious diseases have beneficial effect on the maturation and development of the immune system is ignored or deliberately suppressed.

Consequently, parents of small children and any potential recipients of vaccines and any orthodox medications should be wary of any member of the medical establishment (which is little more than a highly politicised business system) extolling the non-existent virtues of vaccination. Even though Australian law requires doctors to warn patients about all side-effects of all medications and procedures of a material nature, whether the patient asks or not, doctors as a rule do not uphold this important law.

As a side note, my wife works for a University (one of the biggest) in medical research.  Her and several colleagues used a religious waiver that covered them for opting out of 'mandatory flu shots' without infringing upon their own beliefs or honesty.  I will try and find out what she used and link it if I can. 

endurance

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
Just curious if you also refused to get a Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccine.  If not, that might be used to demonstrate how your request isn't based on deeply held religious beliefs. 

I've looked at as much case law on the topic as I can digest and from what I've seen, regarding healthcare workers and religious exemptions, it's undecided territory.  There's no real established case law in the appeals courts on the topic so you're rolling the dice.  If you have the money to fight it out in court it might make some interesting new case law, but if you're relying on your income to keep a roof over your head, I know what I'd do.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
Popcorn parties where I work are to be feared.  It means someone is about to get fired.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 12:40:53 AM »
Regardless of your beliefs / feelings on vaccinations, please make informed decisions.  The adjuvents in the vaccinations are typically the source of adverse reactions.  To summarize an article written by Viera Schiebner PHD which can be found here

Before anyone takes Dr. Schiebner's anti-vaccination claims as gospel, please understand that she failed to complete more than one year of medical school, has a PhD in geology, and none of her claims has been published in a peer-reviewed journal.  If you can wrap your brain around her claims that shaken baby syndrome is actually caused by vaccination then skip the Wikipedia entry documenting her dubious career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viera_Scheibner

I will return now to banging my head against a concrete wall.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
We live on my husband's income, which I am so thankful for. I don't want to be in a position where I would have to choose between taking care of my family and following a conviction God has placed on my heart.

I did get the Hep B vaccine, but that was back in the 90's. I haven't gotten any vaccines in the last 10 years or so, and I stopped vaccinating my children as well. My youngest has had none.

I don't want to get into an arguement with my employer about if people should or should not vaccinate, I just want to preserve the right to choose and keep my body sovereign.

Deadline to vaccinate is Nov 19th, but still no official policy I can read yet.

Offline Wrender

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
Quote from: freelancer
Before anyone takes Dr. Schiebner's anti-vaccination claims as gospel, please understand that she failed to complete more than one year of medical school, has a PhD in geology, and none of her claims has been published in a peer-reviewed journal.  If you can wrap your brain around her claims that shaken baby syndrome is actually caused by vaccination then skip the Wikipedia entry documenting her dubious career.

My mistake for picking an unreliable source.  In my haste I used the first supporting evidence I came across.  I'm not the scientist in my family so I have to go on what my wife tells me from the many many toxicology studies that she has done.  I at least tried to link what I considered reliable sources in the links to the National Vaccine Information Center which takes a very balanced approach to the issue.  What I have learned from my wife is that you cannot always trust the figures and facts that pharmaceutical companies provide as gospel

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
I at least tried to link what I considered reliable sources in the links to the National Vaccine Information Center which takes a very balanced approach to the issue. 

I respectfully disagree.  The National Vaccine Information Center isn't even as balanced as Fox News or MSNBC.  It attempts to portray itself as a government sponsored entity, but is a propaganda organ of the anti-vax movement.  It reminds me of a history professor who liked to say the Holy Roman Empire was neither roman, an empire, or holy.

If you want straight info, with reliable facts regarding the risks and benefits, look at the CDC's vaccine recipient info sheets.  The information has been peer-reviewed and is about as straight-forward and balanced as you can get and allows people to make an informed decision based on facts, rather than emotion.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/

The anti-vaccination movement reminds me of anti-gun proponents who tell us that firearms owners are more likely to be killed by their own weapon than to use it to protect themselves from an attacker.  True, there is a risk we could shoot ourselves accidentally, your spouse might shoot you during an argument, or the bad guy might grab your gun away from you, but that is a small risk we are willing to take in order to be able to defend ourselves.  Vaccination, while it does have a small chance of bad outcomes, is much more likely to be a benefit to me than to harm me.  I see it as a vital part of my preps, just like my firearms, and I encourage others to view it likewise. 

Offline Wrender

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
I think you may be misinterpreting my stance on the issue Freelancer.  I didn't say that you should never take a vaccination and neither does the link I provided. 

This is obviously a little too touchy of an issue so maybe we should just drop it.  :)

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
I think you may be misinterpreting my stance on the issue Freelancer.  I didn't say that you should never take a vaccination and neither does the link I provided.

If pressed on the issue, I'm sure the people behind the link below would deny being opposed to "all" concealed carry.  But I'm still not going to take their information as fair and balanced.    ;)

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

Offline odimodus

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
My hospital recently made it policy also, but you were grandfathered if employed already. I work in a NICU though, so it's a bit more of an issue. Personally, I usually take the shot just to shut them up. I'm not against it so much as dont think it does as much good as they think it does. Also, I'd not be upset at wearing the mask anyways.

If there is a major outbreak I will probably refuse the rushed vaccine and just come to work in a motorcycle helmet. Hmm, maybe there is a market for that, the pandemic helmet. Make a killing on ebay the next govt. sponsored flu scare.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
So the policy is finally out and the rumor is true. It includes mandatory shots, only exemption is a proven allergy, and if you are excused due to allergy then you must wear a surgical mask whenever you enter a patient room from October to March. The deadline to vaccinate is Dec 15th or face a 3 day unpaid suspension, then termination. The deadline to have your waiver signed by your doctor was today. Here's what I did:

I filled out the waiver form, but instead of marking a medical reason, I hand wrote a polite request for a religious exemption along with a statement saying I agreed to follow all of the accomodation rules found in the policy. Since it's Saturday, I slid the request under the Employee Health nurse's office door. I also e-mailed her and told her of my request and listed my contact information for her so she can get ahold of me during the week. I cc'd that e-mail to my department manager. I also printed off the policy, announcement, and all related e-mails for my own records.

So, what do you guys think? Time to get a lawyer? Sit and wait?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
So the policy is finally out and the rumor is true. It includes mandatory shots, only exemption is a proven allergy, and if you are excused due to allergy then you must wear a surgical mask whenever you enter a patient room from October to March. The deadline to vaccinate is Dec 15th or face a 3 day unpaid suspension, then termination.

so, wait... if you DON'T fill out the exemption form, you can put off getting the shot until Dec. 15, and not wear a mask for the next 2 months.  But if you do fill it out, you get to wear a mask starting tomorrow?

further, what is with the 3 day unpaid suspension?  why not IMMEDIATE termination?

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
My guess is that they suspend you first to put pressure on you to get the shot completed. I went ahead and filled out the waiver because I don't plan on getting the shot at all and I wanted everything to be on-time and above board on this issue. But you are right, the masking would start now even though the shot isn't required until Dec 15th.

This is the hospital that banned employees' smoking while wearing scrubs due to the dangers of "third-hand" smoke.

I talked to a lawyer friend of mine who recommended that I contact my state's civil rights commission and the EEOC right away as well; I guess there are pretty strict guidelines on how long you have to make a complaint.

endurance

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
In most states you have 300 days to file a charge with the EEOC from the date of the adverse action.  A few states it's 180 days if there is no Fair Employment Policy Agency (FEPA).  You cannot file a charge with the EEOC and the FEPA, you need to file with one (which is called dual filing since the EEOC oversees the FEPAs).  You cannot file until they take an adverse employment action; there is no projecting potential harm into the future.  They cannot prevent you from being fired, they can only take remedial action to attempt to "make you whole" from what you lost due to the adverse employment action.  In other words, you are only entitled to reinstatement, front pay, back pay and any direct harms.  Without slurs about your religion, etc., there are no pain and suffering damages just for losing your job, so it's not the lottery with a six figure payday waiting at the end.  http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm  An in person interview is always preferable to phone or mail in processing.  You do not need an attorney to represent you during the EEOC processing, however, neither the FEPA nor the EEOC are advocacy organizations; they are law enforcement agencies and the investigators are neutral fact finders until a determination has been issued by the Director. 

A typical investigation takes 12-18 months, but due to backlogs can sometimes approach three years for the investigation to be completed.  You can request a notice of right to sue after 180 days if the investigation has not been completed and most offices will issue them (on average, most investigators have an inventory of 75-100 cases at any given time and are expected to process 120-130 a year, so don't expect a lot of personal attention to your case).  Statistically, about 65-70%- of EEOC case are dismissed without a finding of merit (but still receive a notice of rights to allow you to proceed to federal court), 20-25% are successfully mediated (25-30% attempt mediation, 70-80% are successful), and 5-10% of cases have a "for cause" finding and move on to conciliation.  About 0.4% of cases are litigated by the agency.  Litigation on your own generally costs anywhere from $25-75,000, however, very few cases actually go to the point of a full jury trial.  Most are settled long before that.  Depositions are where the money is spent and it's not uncommon for them to run $600 an hour or more.  Also, after depositions are completed generally the case is referred for summary judgement, where the judge can decide whether the case can proceed or not based on the evidence collected.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. I really don't want a payday from this, I just want to keep my job and my beliefs together. I think I am going to go ahead and talk to our lawyer just so I don't make any mistakes that could hurt my chances down the road.  I was really hoping that talking with the employee health nurse before the policy was final and letting them know that this was going to be an issue would be enough for them to add a sentence to the policy. That way this whole thing would have been a non-issue. Now I am hoping that a letter from a law firm will fix it, but I am beginning to have my doubts. This sounds like it's going to turn into a giant PIA.

endurance

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
Contact your state bar association and ask for a list of employment lawyers; you don't want a family attorney who occasionally "dabbles" in employment law.  Interview three over the phone.  If someone is telling you it's a sure thing, but wants to charge you by the hour, run away from them; they only want to lighten your wallet.  If someone tells you both the warts and the positive aspects, that's a good sign.  If someone wants to take your case on a contingency plus expenses basis, you have an absolute winner.  That means they're working for 33-40% of the final settlement, but it costs you nothing out of pocket except filing fees, etc.  The one's to really stay away from are the hourly/contingency hybrids, where they charge you $175/hour plus take 1/3rd of you settlement. 

A letter works well if they cite very similar cases in your judicial district or appeals courts.  That tells them you've already won, it's just a matter of course.  My search found no big appeals court cases that would help you, but no unifying decisions either.  If you happen to have a good local precedent, you're golden.  If not, it's a growling chihuahua.  If they have a pit bull, it won't make any difference at all and they're going to do what they're going to do.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
I don't personally know of any local cases that have been won, but I do know that the other local hospital is facing the exact same action by a nurse over there. Also, my hospital is getting ready to begin a high-profile medical malpractice lawsuit next year, and maybe they don't want the bad publicity of two things going on at once.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
Here is a legal analysis of the issue printed in the New England Journal of Medicine during the H1N1 pandemic. 

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp0910151

The summary paragraph below suggests that healthcare workers refusing vaccination will have a very tough legal climb ahead of them.

Certainly, courts must take into account Constitutional guarantees of personal autonomy, freedom of contract, and freedom of religion when reviewing the current lawsuits. These rights, however, have been constrained when they conflict with government measures that are intended to protect the community's health and safety. Health care workers have a profound effect on patients' health. Although they have the same rights as all private citizens, it is likely that courts will continue to make the health and safety of patients the priority in permitting exceptions to individual rights.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
I understand their rationale of invoking patient safety. But to me,  if Nurse A cannot take the flu shot due to allergy and is allowed to wear a mask to protect the patients, then Nurse B is not endangering patients by wearing a mask as well. If they put the nurses who medically cannot take the shot on paid leave for the flu season so they weren't even in the building, then that's different. It just seems like to me, the only difference between Nurse A and B is religion, therefore Nurse B is facing discrimination based solely on religion. Whether a judge, committee, or jury will agree is another story however.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
My work offers free, but not manditory, flu shots and I told them I would be happy to take them as soon as they stop putting mercury in them.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
My work offers free, but not manditory, flu shots and I told them I would be happy to take them as soon as they stop putting mercury in them.

Then you'll be glad to know that thimerosal preservative is only used in multi-dose vials of flu vaccine.  Check to make sure it's being drawn up from a single use vial and you can be assured it's mercury free.