Author Topic: Mandatory Flu Shots At Work  (Read 85875 times)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Mandatory Flu Shots At Work
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Well, folks, my stance on the issue of flu shots is very simple. Don't take one. Ever.

Especially if you are young, old, or sickly, or in very good health.

And don't let your children take one, either.

I have read a lot on the subject. EVERYONE should read a lot on the subject.

The mercury in the vaccines is bad enough, but it is far from the worst ingredient.

I'm not going to go all tin-foil hat on everyone in this thread, but I am going to say that until you research the subject thoroughly, you can not possibly be aware of the risks.

If it came to me losing my job (or my wife losing her's) rather than take the needle, I'd laugh all the way out the door even if it meant we had to go bankrupt, lose our home, and live in a cardboard box under a bridge.

If I found out someone intended to vaccinate my grandchildren against their & their parents wishes, I would cheerfully break the law to prevent it. And I'd do my time in jail with no regrets--however long that might be.

Other than just being in jail, I mean. (I simply hate it when they put me in jail!)

The issue about what an employer may or may not do to an employee that refuses the needle is utterly insignificant in proportion to the issue of simply taking or refusing the needle.

Once you have that issue properly understood, everything else can be seen as trivial.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
Well, I put in a formal request for a religious exemption and accomodation regarding the flu shot. I was notified by a letter taped to the nurse's station that it was denied by the vaccine waiver committee. I have done my research and I really feel that this is a clear violation, but we'll see. I am contacting human resources on Monday morning to put my request up that chain of command. The final, final, they really mean it final deadline is now Dec 15th. Then comes a 3 day suspension, then termination for refusal to comply. If they keep extending the deadline, maybe we'll make it to the end of flu season  ::)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
Update: I requested the religious exemption through the employee health office and was denied. I then contacted human resources for a religious accommodation under Title VII, they forwarded me to the hospital's VP, who said he would follow through on this and get me a final answer this week. I have a lawyer friend of mine looking for the best employment attorney who isn't affiliated with my company, so I should have some "official" answers soon.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2011, 05:55:09 PM »
Best of luck to you.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »
My workplace is pushing it like crazy.  Have to sign a declination form if not going to get it, and do a mandatory computer learning module also.  Anytime they "force" you to get it and over sell the reasons you need to get it, then you need to think maybe something is not right.  Don't trust it, and think it is oversold......

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »
Update on my request- I am down to the last scheduled work weekend before the vaccination deadline. I have requested twice, and been told no twice. The reasoning behind the last denial was that I had received vaccines in the past. So today, I sent back another request, along with a more detailed timeline of my beliefs, so we'll see where that goes. I really don't think what someone did 10 years ago means they can't have a religious belief now. If that's true, we're all screwed. I did have  a lawyer friend hunt down a couple of labor lawyers who would     be interested in this kind of case. I guess it's time to call them  and move on from there. I am pretty fed up with this and am  ready to get it over one way or another.

One funny note to all of this- I am scheduled to work Christmas Day, so we told our girls Santa will come to our house on Christmas Eve. That way I can watch them open their presents.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Sorry-posted before I finished my thought.

The Christmas Countdown at my house goes like this: Christmas in 20 days, unless mom gets fired, then it's 21 days till Santa.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
good luck!

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »
Firstly, I would not take any "flu shots" regardless of any threats. They are not safe, and do not reliably prevent flu. Secondly, I would check state law; there is a legal opt out in all as far as I know of, and there is no provision stating you need a letter from a doctor or pastor. I would just say no. And if any friction comes your way ask two questions; "does the shot actually prevent flu?" If yes, "Then why do I need a mask since anyone who has taken the flu shot could not possibly get the flu from me".

endurance

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
I would just say no. And if any friction comes your way ask two questions; "does the shot actually prevent flu?" If yes, "Then why do I need a mask since anyone who has taken the flu shot could not possibly get the flu from me".
She works in a hospital, working with patients who may not have received the flu shot and may have compromised immune systems.  I see both sides on this one. 

Personally, I see the benefits of vaccines far outweigh the risks, but this isn't about that.  This is about an employer who has an obligation to protect vulnerable patients vs. individual rights to freedom of religion.  I think it's an interesting area of the law and I look forward to seeing how things turn out for you.  Personally, I'd love to see a case like this go to court, but I wouldn't wish that upon you or your family.  Litigation, even when you're 100% right, is a miserable process that ruins lives.  One eight hour deposition is like taking a year off your life as far as misery and anxiety.  Hopefully the employer will come to their senses and you can put this behind you.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
I wonder if more people would be upset if the flu vaccination/employment policy read like this: WE think you need this, even if you don't. WE are going to fire you if you don't take this medication. Oh, by the way, here is the list of possible side effects, including death. WE are not concerned about the risk of death, because WE think the risk is small enough to justify our actions.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
She works in a hospital, working with patients who may not have received the flu shot and may have compromised immune systems.  I see both sides on this one.
And do hospital staff now not wear masks around people with conditions that include compromised immune systems anyway??

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »

It is a tough one, all right.  The people who would benefit from the vaccine the most (ie. the immunocompromised, who will likely die if they contract flu) are the least likely to actually develop any immunity from it.  The only way to protect these people is to avoid others with the flu, which you have little control over when you are sick enough to require hospitalization.  Those infected with the flu can range from the very ill to those without any clinical symptoms, and those who do develop symptoms begin shedding virus particles before they realize they are sick and need to stay home. 

The effectiveness of the vaccine is fair to middling for most flu seasons, but it's the best thing we got.  Masks can help prevent transmission, but are prone to operator error (ie. not idiot proof), and may not be as effective as the vaccine, and definitely not as good as complete isolation.  This is why healthcare facilities push the vaccine, it's the best of a bunch of mediocre solutions.  But you can't always get what you want, no matter how much popular culture tells us we can.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
I WON!!!!!!! Got the confirmation today that they are granting my request, along with an apology that it took so long. It was the first Title VII request the HR department had ever had. Christmas is on!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
I WON!!!!!!! Got the confirmation today that they are granting my request, along with an apology that it took so long. It was the first Title VII request the HR department had ever had. Christmas is on!
Excellent! Congrats!!! woohoo! party time!!!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
Congratulations!!  :happydance:

endurance

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
Congrats.  Kudos for you doing your homework and doing such a good job on demonstrating your beliefs and convictions and kudos to them for coming around.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
Good for you!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:03 PM »
Good for you!

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »
Well done! And a toast to the victor!

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2011, 06:58:55 AM »
Way to stick to your principles.  Bravo.  :clap:

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »
I slept great last night. No more sword of Damocles hanging over me. I didn't realize how much of a stressor this whole situation was until it was over. Facing losing my job has made me even more fired up about having things prepped at home.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
Congratulations! Way to stick to your guns!

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
+1 for your determination and sticking to your convictions.

Offline BikerKat

• Prepper
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2011, 09:51:16 PM »
Congratulations and may you and yours have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
Congratulations! I just got a nurse externship and I was required to get the flu shot as part of my acceptance. I got it on Friday. It's now Monday and it appears I have the flu. I got the shot which is supposed to have dead virus in it. So I shouldn't have gotten it from the shot. It sucks.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
Congratulations! I just got a nurse externship and I was required to get the flu shot as part of my acceptance. I got it on Friday. It's now Monday and it appears I have the flu. I got the shot which is supposed to have dead virus in it. So I shouldn't have gotten it from the shot. It sucks.

It's the interferon produced by the immune system in response to what it perceives as a true viral infection.  I usually feel crappy for a few days after the flu shot.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
In the past, I have bounced back from the flu faster than the side effects from the shot. It makes me have joint pains, fatigue, and headaches for up to two weeks.

Offline moprep4life

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
This has been an interesting thread to read through.
Congratulations on winning! I hope y'all have a wonderful Christmas.