Author Topic: Survival needlecraft  (Read 15135 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: Survival needlecraft
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
     Our sleeping bag kits were from Frostline. I've sewn their down vests, booties, gaiters, down mittens, down pants and outerwear. Great stuff. Another similar outfit was Holubar (spelling?). Never bought their kits (no particular reason). They were a good way to get quality camping gear at reasonable prices. Plus you knew how well they were put together. I always liked to put in a little extra reinforcement at stress points. I'm a retired teacher, and I hope Home Economics classes still include sewing.

Offline FireMommy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Fire Wife Life
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:06 AM »
Wow!  This collection of skills from all of you in this thread is simply amazing!  I'm raising and homeschooling 3 daughters and I'd love to teach them some of this stuff.  Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to learn any of these skills growing up and financial funds for taking sewing classes, etc., are limited.  Do any of you have ideas (or good books / online tools to use) where I can learn some of these skills myself and teach my girls?  Or learn them with my girls?  I'm not too proud to learn along side them with a little kid's "Learn-To" type of book.  As long as I'm learning and improving, I'm good.  Thanks for any recommendations!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 08:08:10 AM »
Do any of you have ideas (or good books / online tools to use) where I can learn some of these skills myself and teach my girls?  Or learn them with my girls? 

A 4-H club. Not one in your area for these things? Talk to your extension agency. If there is a want, they can sometimes 'twist the arm' of someone and a leader can be found.

Cedar

Offline FireMommy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Fire Wife Life
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 06:27:03 AM »
A 4-H club. Not one in your area for these things? Talk to your extension agency. If there is a want, they can sometimes 'twist the arm' of someone and a leader can be found.

Cedar

Ohh...great idea!  4-H is non-existent in our area, but we are moving more rural (Yay!!!) within the next couple months and I know they have a 4-H club there.  I'll check into it now and see if crafts like this are an option there.  If not, I'll take your suggestion and talk to the extension office.  I'm sure there will be someone in that rural town who would be willing to help.  Thanks!!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
Your Local Yarn Store (LYS) will generally have knitting lesson, cheap or free. Buy your yarn and knitting needles there and they will help you when you are stuck for free. Often, they will sponsor a class for kids if there is interest. One of ours let our 4-H kitting group meet at their store. I was the leader. You dont need to be that good to help beginning kids learn how

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
An FYI for any sew-y, quilt-y, knit-y kinds of skills: Craftsy. Their classes are top-notch and once purchased, accessible indefinitely.