Author Topic: Ham Radio / Comms Go Kit  (Read 21444 times)

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
Ham Radio / Comms Go Kit
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
I have searched the boards and have found nothing specifically concerning Ham Radio / Comms Go Kits. A kit like this would be one which includes a small all band transceiver, both AC & DC power options (also maybe a small rugged solar setup), small antenna tuner, and portable (wire or dipole) antennas of some kind. Plus 2-4 handhelds (2m/440). I would like to put all of this into a portable (small as possible) hard case (like a pelican case).

The idea is to be able to grab this in an emergency and just walk out the door, go to anywhere and set up a small field station. I would prefer it be a kit I can carry and not have wheels.

I suppose including a scanner, handheld CB etc. would also be an option.

Anyone have anything like this or any input on this idea?
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
Re: Ham Radio / Comms Go Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
Sounds like an idea. I want to learn how to Ham radio soon. Would it be better to have it in a Pelican that is lined some way to protect against EMP?

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
I don't think it would be very difficult to remove the padding and install some time of faraday cage inside the box.
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »
Anyone with some product knowledge have recommendations on this type of setup?

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
I got into ham a few months ago specifically for the emcomm aspect.  I'm putting together a system like the one described by Veritas and so far have a Yaesu FT-817ND with an LDG Z-817 tuner and a Buddipole antenna kit, which is a nice portable antenna system but is more bulky than a wire.  No Pelican case yet, still trying to decide how big it will need to be and since I'm way down on the ham learning curve I'm basing everything on what I've gleaned from others.

I got some ideas from this guy's kit with solar panel:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QddygPul1Vc
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
There are a number of ways of doing your go box.  I had my 817, battery, antenna, and other gear in a laptop bag...

There is a thread over in Comms that covers the same thing, albeit for CB,.. the premise is the same.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=28640.0
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
I have a small 2m go bag (camera bag) which includes a mobile 2m rig, battery and 1/4 wavelength antenna, but I am looking to expand into something bigger and better.
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline Ranger.Ivan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Permaculture Padawan
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
I'm looking at getting myself the Yaesu FT-8900R for my mobile rig.  As with all my radios, I'm interested in multi-band operations.

When I can afford it, I'm looking at either the Yaesu FT-897D or the FT-857D or the FT-817ND for my mobile base station option.  They all can be kept in a bag/box and can fit in a large rucksack, so the option to walk away from home and/or vehicles and still have broad comm options is there.  You add in either solar or hand-cranked mobile power generation to recharge the batteries, and you can keep such a base station up and running a very long time.

Since 2006, when I got my tech license, I have carried the Yaesu VX-7R multi-band hand held.  It is the reason I like the Yaesu products so much.  Although I really liked the two Kenwood handhelds I used prior to getting the Yaesu (and still have one as a backup), I have become a huge Yaesu fan. 

That's my two cents worth. 
--------------------------------------------------
Cogito ex archa

Offline GulfGulfQuebec

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »
I don't have the money for a nice all band radio, so I made two bags. One is the VHF emcomm bag, for 99% of anything that will happen locally, and the other is the HF bag, which is just an addition to everything in the VHF bag.

I have several sources for potential power. The Ammo can has a brand new sealed lead acid battery in bubble wrap, a fused switch with connections, a battery tender, the radio, a multimeter etc. Stuff I really don't want to get wet under any circumstance. The bag itself has a scanner, an rf amplifier for the 2 meter handheld, a power inverter, and a whole plethora of multi-colored connectors, tapes, tools, adaptors, and wires.

Offline GulfGulfQuebec

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
Super Cool GGQ. Thanks for the pics. I like your set up. It gives me some good ideas. Thanks!
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline svlearningcurve

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Crazy Boatbuilder
    • Building a Sailboat
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
I dont have a Go kit, but I have a couple 2 meter handhelds I keep on hand and charged. Both are Kenwoods.

The nice thing about modern radios (say, newer than 5 years) is that virtually all of them can be programmed with your PC (with appropriate software). Repeaters can go up/down, change frequencies, change tones all the time. Being able to upload/download memories and manage with your PC is a real time saver.

I also have a Kenwood 2m/70cm dual band on the boat with a masthead antenna. When out in the islands, if I we are away from the boat, I can bring the handheld and repeat through boat's radio to use its range and power if needed. Very handy.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:38 AM »
Sounds like an idea. I want to learn how to Ham radio soon. Would it be better to have it in a Pelican that is lined some way to protect against EMP?

I'm just trying to think out loud, but...

If its in the box not being used, its turned off. If its turned off, it should be safe against EMP effects. Right?

If its actually in use, then it needs and antenna. An antenna cannot be within the protection of a Faraday cage or it would not work. Having the antenna would leave the unit susceptible to EMP effects. Right?

All that to say this: Not sure the time and expense of a Faraday cage radio case would be worth the effort.

I'm not saying I'm certain about this. I'm just askin'.

(I'll defer the question to one of the next four or five posters who is going to amaze us with their answer.)  :-X

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
I'm just trying to think out loud, but...

If its in the box not being used, its turned off. If its turned off, it should be safe against EMP effects. Right?

If its actually in use, then it needs and antenna. An antenna cannot be within the protection of a Faraday cage or it would not work. Having the antenna would leave the unit susceptible to EMP effects. Right?

All that to say this: Not sure the time and expense of a Faraday cage radio case would be worth the effort.

I'm not saying I'm certain about this. I'm just askin'.

(I'll defer the question to one of the next four or five posters who is going to amaze us with their answer.)  :-X
Not to hash out a topic that I am sure is another thread - I've been in a Conex box (SeaPak) and gotten calls on my cell phone, and listened to FM broadcast radio.

I've put my cell phone in a (UNPLUGGED) Microwave,.. gotten calls.

Go Figure.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Although I've never actually tried it, I don't think it would be super difficulet to glue a faraday cage inside a pelican (or other case). Unless I'm mistaken, it's just copper wire mesh. However, if one were not inclined to do this I have heard that wrapping the emp sensitive item in aluminum foil will accomplish the same task.  ???
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline Sparky McBiff

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
Actually it doesn't have to be copper and it doesn't have to be a mesh either.
 Essentially any metallic enclosure should suffice.
You could even line a room with metallic foil and it would work as a Faraday cage, as Michael Faraday himself once demonstrated.

Offline Ranger.Ivan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Permaculture Padawan
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
The nice thing about modern radios (say, newer than 5 years) is that virtually all of them can be programmed with your PC (with appropriate software). Repeaters can go up/down, change frequencies, change tones all the time. Being able to upload/download memories and manage with your PC is a real time saver.

Aside from saving time, if you and a buddy have similar radios you can share your freq mem channels and have the same setup.  This makes it really easy to ensure that everybody has all the frequencies you are likely to use.
--------------------------------------------------
Cogito ex archa

Offline svlearningcurve

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Crazy Boatbuilder
    • Building a Sailboat
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:11:43 AM »
Actually it doesn't have to be copper and it doesn't have to be a mesh either.
 Essentially any metallic enclosure should suffice.
You could even line a room with metallic foil and it would work as a Faraday cage, as Michael Faraday himself once demonstrated.

3M makes special peel-away backing adhesive tape for RFI shielding that should work nicely as a faraday cage. Tinned copper, and the adhesive it self is electrically conductive. '1183' is one of the model numbers of such tape. Its not cheap from retailers (I know DigiKey.com seels the stuff), but sometimes it pops up on eBay for real cheap. This stuff would nicely line the inside of a pelican case. I have seen it in 1 and 5 inch widths.

Offline Hartmann

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
Here's a relevant site to check out.  This .pdf is geared toward volunteers in emergency radio services like ARES, RACES, etc., and is well written & describes a well thought-out set of kits for Day Pack, 24 hr, 72 hr kits., etc:

PERSONAL GO-KIT FOR EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/ke7hlr/ ... andout.pdf

Also, here's the guy's overall website which looks very well put together:

http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/ke7hlr/index.html
"The shortest answer is doing the thing."  -Hemingway

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
Wow! excellent find Hartmann. This is exactly what I was looking for. +1 for you. Thanks a lot.
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

CHAMELEONWALKER

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've two Go Kits.

The first one is the following:

- 20W Max Power on HF
- 5W Max power 2M and 70CM

Specs:
FT-817 ND
LDG Z-817 Autotuner
HF Packer-Amp
7 Amp hour gel battery
Tekkeon myPower ALL Plus MP3450-10
Bag: JUMBO S-TYPE VERSIPACK from MAXPEDITION

With that station I've been working the entire USA, Canada and part of Southern America, Japan and almost every repeaters in the area.

The second one is the following:

- 100W Max Power on HF

Specs:
Power Supply Samlex SEC 1235M
IC-7200
LDG IT-100 Autotuner
One extra power cable with alligator clips for 12V battery

I've been using them with various portable antennas that can be find here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chameleonwalker/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

or here:

http://chameleonantenna.com/

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qzAmI0XWgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brN5wWrdBtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5MpM0ZPKYM

Cheers,

Carl

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 02:54:21 AM »
FT-817 ND
LDG Z-817 Autotuner
HF Packer-Amp
7 Amp hour gel battery
Tekkeon myPower ALL Plus MP3450-10
Bag: JUMBO S-TYPE VERSIPACK from MAXPEDITION

That's a real nice setup!  How do you like that amp?
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

CHAMELEONWALKER

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 10:20:23 AM »
The HF Packer-Amp is a great little Amp. Sometime when operating QRP few watts more is just what you need to be heard.

Offline DMAT

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
Cheapo, down and dirty Faraday cage: metal trash can with a good fitting metal lid. preferably new.  You will probably have extra room for other sensitive electronics to be stored in a single handy location. As most HAMs know, your collection of "stuff" tends to grow...

Offline res2cue

• Prepper
  • Is it time?
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
Hey everyone
Here is my/our G.O.O.D. radio kit. This is our retreats comms gear. The main radio is a Yeasu FT-847 with external antenna tuner. Every family has at least a 2mt/70cm HT and GMRS radio for the kids. I have a G5RV good to 80mtrs all ready hanging it the trees. Was going to go for a vert. but stealthy is better. There is also a 2mt mag mount antenna for 2mtrs. Radio is run with 2 deep cycle battery's to a 65wt solar panel strictly set for comms. It is also used to recharge the HT's and rechargeable batteries for the GMRS's.
and old alum type tool box.

radio and tuner is mounted and jumpers for coax connections and power.
Also keep my spare HT's with extra batteries and spare antennas. Owners manuals for all radios and some different antenna building books inside along with a copy of out retreat freq's. which all HT are programed too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:03:53 PM by res2cue »
Watch your "6" & keep your powder dry!

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Nice one rescue
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
Ok, I'm new to HAM.
As of last saturday, passed the tech class.
I am looking at a mobile radio and antenna for the truck.
I see most of you folks are using YAESU.
Any reason not to use ICOM? or KENNWOOD?

Thanks

LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
  • God's Not Dead
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
Ok, I'm new to HAM.
As of last saturday, passed the tech class.
I am looking at a mobile radio and antenna for the truck.
I see most of you folks are using YAESU.
Any reason not to use ICOM? or KENNWOOD?

Thanks

;) If 2 meters is busy in your AO, I'd recommend the Kenwood 281.  As mentioned elsewhere it can be had from Main Trading in TX for $149 shipped.  I would recommend the Kenwood rig, I have one.  It's sort of a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thing  8)

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
  • God's Not Dead
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
To the OP,

here is a link to a thread where I post about my Portable Shack I've shown here on the TSP Board over the last few days:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/656275_.html&page=1

For some really hot ideas, check out this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/648273_The_EMCOMM_Box.html

and I swear some of those pics posted above look awfully familiar to me?

SCW

Offline gringogigante

• Prepper
  • Firearms & CHL instructor
    • MetroplexCHL
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
I don't think it would be very difficult to remove the padding and install some time of faraday cage inside the box.

If it was in your car trunk, wouldn't that be a faraday cage?
Thanks!

Chris McCollum
concealed handgun Plano
concealed handgun Dallas
Dallas CHL Forum
metroplexchl@gmail.com
www.metroplexchl.com