Author Topic: Flying Flags  (Read 5248 times)

Offline ericccsaysss

• Prepper
Flying Flags
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:07 AM »
What do you all think about having a flag or banner up at you base camp?

I go camping often with the same group of people and on one trip i thought it would be fun
to have a US Flag, along with a Flag I drew up to let them know it was us. We frequent a
hunting ground on some of our trips and when the seasons come around the place sometimes
gets a little crowded, so we use this flag to indentify our camp to our buddies that come in late.

I was thinking about this today at work for some reason and wondered if it was a bad idea...

On our group flag we have a few symbols that represent us, one being the Cross. Do you see
any danger in this? We've run into some shadey people out there that would most like be more
than willing to loot a site in the night. This happened on one occasion, but a pump of the shotgun
scared them away. I know some people think Christians as being vulnerable and so loving that
they wouldnt react to a group of low lifes...

your opinions would be appreciated. thank ya'll

ericccsaysss.
Arizona

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
Re: Flying Flags
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:41 AM »
Some form of identification in a crowded campground could be very useful, and not just to members of your group ("we're 4 tents down from the guys with the flag"), but I would be very leery about putting any sort of personal identifiers on it. Religious symbols, crossed rifles, silhouettes of nekkid wimmen - like on those mud flaps - would all tend to draw unwanted attention to you.

Stick with geometrical shapes or creatures from mythology or folklore and you should be OK. Except if you use fairies. Do not put fairies on your flag. BAD IDEA.

::)

soup

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
A group I used to go camping with would put up an American flag and never had any problems. It definitely helped to ID our site. On the other hand, we never camped anywhere that there was much of a concern about shady characters. I would say even just putting up the American will help identify your site and not tell others too much about you. How many other sites have American flags up?

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
We usually fly a Gadsden Flag or a POW/MIA flag at our site when we camp. Helps people to find us.

TW

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
I would agree with flying a recognized flag, such as the American flag or a Gadsden or such. I would not think TOO much about flying a personal flag. I don't see a lot of scum that would loot a site, sitting around and trying to interpret symbols on a flag they were getting ready to hit. I would say that the sense or organization that would come from having flags flying, would intimidate and possible scare them off.

I now intend to purchase another Gadsden for this purpose. How do you guys rig them at camp?

Offline ericccsaysss

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
Thanks for all the input!

We normally just hang ours down. Tie it up from the grommets to a long branch. We don't have crazywind all that often so that normally works. Another fun thing to do with the flag is place it above the tent of the person that wins a game that we play, be it a primitive fire comp, an edible food hunt, the fastest person to break down and pack their supplies from the last trip. Stuff like that! :D

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
Great read!

Keep em commin... 8)

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
How do you guys rig them at camp?
1 t-post
20 ft section of 2in pvc

Drive t-post in ground, attach flag to pvc, slide pvc over t-post

Ranger Dave

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »
A lot of times we would just walk into the woods and find a 8' plus branch or dead sapling. Plant the end in the ground a couple of inches then guy it out with 3 or 4 guy lines or lash up a tripod. Or we would piece something together from some aluminum fly poles or PVC or similar. We never had a dedicated pole, just assembled one from what was around at the time.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
Can anyone guess what flag I will be flying at my next camp site?  What a great identifier.

Offline ericccsaysss

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:59:18 AM »
 ???the good ol' Bennington 1776? ::)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
I have smaller versions of "Old Glory" and the Gadsden that I can attach to my camper or pop-up. Haven't figured out how I would do it tent camping. (Posibly a tree. Don't know if campsites would allow one on a pole driven into the ground.)

Offline JarHeadTed

• Prepper
    • Ted's Place
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
I usually fly an American Flag (3x5) and a smaller USMC flag from the closest tree to the parking spot at my campsites.  I always put up the flag before I set up the tent.  I usually tie a rock to the end of my rope and sling it as high in the tree as I can with good visibility and double the rope to use it like a flagpole.

The USMC flag is not only identifiable, it has started many conversations with the neighbors.  I've never had any troubles at campsites when I've flown the flag.

Offline xjaggedvisionsx

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
We fly an american flag every time we camp.

I've never been hasseled by anyone except the Forest Service goons.