Author Topic: any recomendations on a smaller everyday carry 45 cal pistol  (Read 8641 times)

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
any recomendations on a smaller everyday carry 45 cal pistol
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
i currently carry a springfield xd 45 but its big and bulky

Offline netua

• Prepper
Re: any recomendations on a smaller everyday carry 45 cal pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
You might look at one of the Bond Arms derringers.  You only get two shots, but it is certainly compact.  It's a great looking little pistol and I've been considering getting one myself.  Wish I could give you first hand review, but it's worth looking into.
You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.  ~ Bob Dylan

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
I have the old XD45 "Compact" myself, and it's ok. I'd really like to have a Glock G36. Quite a bit smaller, but as I remember it's only 6rounds in the mag. It's a single stack mag, so it's thinner.
For "every day carry", and by that I mean all day/every day I carry a P3AT. I'd like to be able to carry a larger gun every day, but I just can't make it work for me.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
I'd look at the Kahr PM45.  I have a PM9 and love it.  Very small, not exactly a joy to shoot, but accurate and reliable.  Not cheap either, but for concealment and ease of carry, you just won't find anything smaller and lighter in that caliber.
In action on youtube.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
I have a kahr cw40 and can vouch for the cw line. It isn't fun to shoot by any means but comfortable to carry. Once you get used to the absolutely garbage trigger pull, its a very accurate weapon. You do get used to it though. Id like to think im getting pretty good with it.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
I have a 3.8 XDM I like, but no way I can CC it so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for the Sig P250.  I have the subcompact in 40 and it also comes in 45.  It's double-stack so fatter than a single-stack, but nice DAO trigger, no safety, and nice night sights.  Having said that, yeah I'm a shorts-and-t-shirt guy so I go .380 (P3AT)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
I've got a XD45 and it is by no means a EDC sort of gun, I've tried the G30 & then the G36..still too bulky a slide for me. I've handled the CW45, thats pretty nice and also the new M&P 45C aint so bad but still bigger than a compact 1911, which is what I carry now when I go full size otherwise I carry a Sig P238. I started carrying 1911's and went around with a bunch of others but now I'm back to them, so much slimmer. Also depends on what kind of trigger you like and safeties and such..

older EDC pic when I first got my P238...

http://heezy.com/ http://ricksdiy.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
I feel your pain, I started CCW with an XD45C in an IWB holster - it hurt my bowels to carry it.

Can't recommend a .45, but can say I am pleased with the PF9.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »
I have an old AMT officers backup. Very small, no sights, no safety, nothing to get caught on your pocket. Kicks like a mule.

I love it.

TW

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
i wrote down all the model numbers you guys recomended so far and there is a gun show this weekend and i plan on looking for them there, keep the recomendations coming please, and thanks everybody for your help

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
It's really not all that easy to pull off the whole concealed 45acp thing, especially every day and in warm weather. I think everybody who's really done it would agree.
Once it cools down around here (and in the last few weeks it has) I like to carry my 45 in the inside vest pocket of my carhartt vest. It stays pretty secure, in the right position, and the vest is just thick enough so there's no "printing". One funny thing, I've noticed that even though I may be carrying sumpthin' bigger, I still don't feel right unless I have the little P3AT in my pants pocket. I guess it's like carrying a pocket knife or wallet every day for years on end. If you don't have it, you feel like you forgot something.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
You may also want to check out a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro.  Pretty compact, 10+1.  I like it better than the Mini Glock that I used to have, I found the Glocks too square and blocky. 
Brew status: 6 gal Dandelion Wine in secondary
                     10 gal Cream Ale in secondary
                     5 gal Hopped Honey Kolsch in Keg

"Everything that Richard Nixon did to me, for which he faced impeachment and prosecution, which led to his resignation, is now legal under the Patriot Act, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)." Daniel Ellsberg

Offline PigPilot

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »
Depends a lot on what you use as a holster;  don't skimp [assuming you go that route] on a quality belt and holster.  I'm big enough that my daily carry is a Combat Commander in a Crossbreed or one of the IWB holsters from UBG on a double thickness belt.  Be careful with jacket/vest/etc carry as even a smaller pistol like the Kimber still has considerable mass and weight and might cause the jacket/vest/etc to visibly sag. Good luck.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Never shot one, but I looked closely at the Para Warthog for a time. 3" barrel, 10+1 cap, 1911 look and feel. I still may end up getting one once I can afford "toy" guns.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
worth a look at when it comes out later this year Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

I am not a big fan of large cal guns in real small packages.  It does make it easy to carry - but a real handful to shoot.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

inbox485

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
I have the XD compact. It has a service length slide and width, but the grip is trimmed about an inch shorter than normal. Basically that the inch of the butt that normally causes printing. It also has the option of full length mags so you essentially have service and compact model in one. I tend to carry at home, and nobody has ever spotted it. My wife doesn't even know if I'm carrying unless she hugs me. Other bonus is since it is effectively service sized when holding it, you get the accuracy and controlability that goes with it. That said, double stack is double stack. They weigh enough that you need the spare mags just to balance the weight, you have to have baggy shirts, and appendix carry just doesn't seem to work well with them.

I'd like to have one more handgun in the single stack compact variety and the XDS got some pretty awesome reviews. If it ever gets into CA, or I ever get out, I'll probably get one. Otherwise, I will probably settle for one of the single stack 9mm varieties.

Offline Cole4theking

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »
You might consider the Glock 36 or the soon to be released xd slim 45. Good luck and God bless!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
Sure, you could go for all the new whiz-bang toys out there, or you could carry an original:

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline YoungGunsPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 06:18:13 AM »
i currently carry a springfield xd 45 but its big and bulky

A lot of people want to go smaller on their carry pistol, one main thing you need to remember is that smaller isnt necisarily better. The smaller the weapon the lighter it is, now this sounds good in theory but that means its going to have more recoil and you will be less accurate. Now for most guys the smaller guns dont fit well in our hands which makes them even harder to control. Also with the smaller weapon you will loose the barrel length again reducing the accuracy of the weapon. I wouldnt say to go smaller in size, I would say go slimmer. Look at the new slim frame glocks. It doesnt look like there is much of a difference but when you go to carry it, it is quite a big difference, and you get to keep the same barrel length and accuracy. If you really want to go with a smaller gun I would reccomend the Ruger LC9 or LCP or a snub nose revolver. I know you said you wanted a .45 cal, but that is just what I would reccomend in my oppinion.
"Leaders are made and not born, But great men are born and re born"

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
worth a look at when it comes out later this year Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

I am not a big fan of large cal guns in real small packages.  It does make it easy to carry - but a real handful to shoot.

Damn beat me to it. I'm surprised at how few mentioned this pistol.  Rob Leatham and his wife are both carrying these from what he says. I'm not a huge 45 fan but I have to say that even I am somewhat interested in this pistol.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:11 AM »
I have an AMT backup 45.

Love it. Bought it for 110 dollars and never regretted it.

Carry it daily in addition to my Glock 17, and Rossi 357.

TW

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »
You might look at one of the Bond Arms derringers.  You only get two shots, but it is certainly compact.  It's a great looking little pistol and I've been considering getting one myself.  Wish I could give you first hand review, but it's worth looking into.

I have one, in 45colt/410. It's a great pistol for what it is. The trigger takes some getting used to, but it is very compact and the recoil is manageable. It is surprisingly accurate with 45 colt considering mine has over an inch of extra chamber to accomodate the 410 shotshells, a set of 45 acp barrels should be more accurate. Recoil isn't bad either. It's main draw back is it's only 2 shots and isn't known for fast reloads, but is faster than other derringers.

I would go for a sub compact auto, and i'm partial to glocks, but their 45's are thick. Some form of compact 1911 perhaps?

Offline DuckDitch

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
Springfield XDs in .45 is coming out this year if you can wait a little while :)

Offline Exile72

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »
ok  might not like this but drop the idea of a 45 and go 9mm so many options . check out Barettas Nano

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
I have an AMT backup 45.

Love it. Bought it for 110 dollars and never regretted it.

Carry it daily in addition to my Glock 17, and Rossi 357.

TW

I also have one, everything you said is accurate, plus a 15 pound trigger

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
Sure, you could go for all the new whiz-bang toys out there, or you could carry an original: [Compact M1911 clone]

The Professor
This is an original.

OP, In addition to the outstanding P220 Sig now makes a P220 Compact and a P220 Carry. Reliable, accurate, lightish, and easy to field strip.
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-compact-sas-gen-2.aspx
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-carry.aspx

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
Well, I sold my old XD45 Compact, and finally bought the Glock G36 that I'd been wanting for years.
So far I really like it.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
This is an original.

OP, In addition to the outstanding P220 Sig now makes a P220 Compact and a P220 Carry. Reliable, accurate, lightish, and easy to field strip.
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-compact-sas-gen-2.aspx
http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-carry.aspx

Just as an FYI, that pistol was not a clone.  It was one of the original, custom compact 1911's offered to civilians.  Since the OP asked for a compact .45, I chose my Detonics.

FWIW, the original Colt Officer's Pistol was made a year earlier but, unless you were an active-duty, commissioned General officer, you couldn't touch one.

The Detonics was the FIRST compact .45 ACP semi-auto based on the 1911, that wasn't a chopped down version of a full-size 1911, available to the public.  It was nine years after Detonics, and several other copycats, came out, that Colt offered the compact version to mere mortal civilians (and, unlike the Detonics, it didn't work very well).

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline 802Shawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »
Kimber Ultra Carry , small and a very well made gun !
Off your ass and on your feet, out of the shade and in heat !