Author Topic: What is your EDC...Every Day Carry  (Read 227607 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: What is your EDC...Every Day Carry
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
It's a watertight and durable capsule, sold by ContyComm. I had some alluminum capsules before, but they were either too small (really just pill size) or too large. This one is perfect.
http://www.countycomm.com/edcother.html

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
county comm is a dangerous place for the wallet... i try to stay away from there.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »
Egads that place has some cool stuff.  Lots of stuff I didn't even know I HAD to have!!!  Quick someone hide my wallet.

Offline SLBurgos

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
I like to keep it simple.

H&K P2000 .40 cal
Spyderco CPM-S30V
Surefire U2 Digital Ultra
Gerber Multi-tool
iPhone
Keys
Wallet
Glasses
Zippo
Good ol Carmex
A little bit of 550 cord.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
What do you have in your EDC kit/bag?
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »
I haven't found anything like this on the forum and well I'm surprised, I mean you might use you're EDC kit every day but your BOB maby once in your Life or so.

Well my EDC (witch I love, it's so practical) contains
1 waterproof notebook
1 pencil
1 waterproofed paper with the morse code on it
a couple of cable ties (?? maby the wrong Word)
1 firesteel
wire
some safety pins and fishing hooks
some fishing line
some electrical tape
a piece of soap
a multi tool
some wet wipes
a sanitary napkin and some tampons (for tinder and... you know)
some sterile compresses and wound swabs

and in my Medical EDC
some pain meds (both normal ones and prescription ones)
allergy medicine
more sterile compresses and wound swabs
adhesive bandages
steri strips
and tape

outside my EDC kit I also carry extra clothes and a lighter

so what do you carry in your EDC?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:47:01 AM by Varginna »

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
Re: What do you have in your EDC kit/bag?
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:33 AM »
Well of course now when I started a post I find it (under weapons for some reason) and I searched the forum Before I started this but I guess I didn't get the way the search button works here

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
In my pockets I carry keys with a CPR mask and a caraibiner, my wallet, two handkerchiefs, my Streamlight stylus pro, my Buck Vantage and Spyderco Tenacious pocket knifes. 

I carry my man bag everywhere, a Runner from gorunner.com, in it I carry a water bottle, store cards ie Costco, lip balm, tweasers, a pen and mechanical pencil, lighter and fire starter, 1.00 in quarters for a pay phone, extra batteries for the Streamlight, another hankie, duct tape wrapped around an old gift card, my Classic Leatherman, and a 5.11 A2 flashlight from my police days. 

I usually have on my watch a Casio Wave Captor, my wedding ring and a paracord bracelet.

Offline Atkinson

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
Alltheminkeys

I just added handkerchiefs to my Edc and I love it. They come in handy all the time.

Offline Sinzitu

• Prepper
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
Well until I escape Maryland...  my on-person EDC is:

wallet
cell phone
keys
Gerber folder
Energizer 1W led pocket flashlight

I also carry a GHB when out.  Stays in the vehicle except when I'm at work then it goes with me.

When outside of MD I add either a Ruger LCR 38 plus a speed strip or a Springfield XDS .45 with a spare 7rd mag.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »

As seen above I carry my
M&P Shield
Wallet
Benchmade Seatbelt cutter
S&W ExtremeOps Knife
just a cheap flashlight

Later on I will show you what I carry on me when I am on shift as a firefighter.  I cannot carry everything seen here and I also increase what is in my pockets while on duty.

Offline Cavy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #220 on: March 26, 2014, 03:34:19 AM »
Wallet, keys(w/resQme, whistle, squeeze light),
Samsung note 3, kershaw cryo 2, pen, nebo redline flashlight,
Chapstick, mini bic, and a gerber dime.

When I'm not at work I also carry a glock 19 in a black mamba or
A ruger lcp in a pocket holster.

Offline DallasDentist

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »

S&W tactical pen (not sure what model)
cash in a moneyclip
no credit cards
id

And yes, after browsing this thread, I think I'm going to make some additions. 

endurance

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
My newest additions are small bits of plastic.  My firefighter ID gets me free use of the light rail and I bought a B-cycle pass so I have access to the bikes for local transportation.  Sure, in a real TEOTWAWKI that might not save my bacon, but I can ride from my work to the light rail and ride the light rail to my wife's work, which sure makes things convenient for getting my car serviced, parking for concerts (she can ride downtown and meet me, too), and get home in case my car is having problems.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #223 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
that's cool. public transportation sucks where i'm at, and is not an option at all.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »
My EDC changes depending on what time of year it is and whether at work or not. Basically the only thing that changes is the weapon of choice.
Fall/Winter/Spring/Not at work is a G23. Summer is a a KelTec P3AT with CT laser and an extended mag
Either weapon carried IWB in a N82 tuckable holster
Any time not carrying the G23 i carry the KelTec with a regular mag in the back pocket under my primary weapon with an extra mag beside the boot knife.
Extra mag carried in the right watch pocket
Surefire PX2 flashlight
Wallet with 2 cards that have little money in the accounts and less than $20 cash in pocket opposite weapon
Money clip with knife blade built in and cash and prepaid Visa card in front pocket
Benchmade 154CM as my utility knife in right front pocket
Benchmade 9051 as my tactical response knife in the pocket under my weapon
S&W boot knife carried inside leg of off hand (not sure the model but double edged)
Gerber Muti-Plier Det Black Sheath with an Telura Deluxe lighter in the case
Watch G-Shock (not sure the model but its analog)
Keys nothing special just a P-38 on it and braided paracord 4" lanyard
S&W Tactical pen
Samsung Galaxy S5 in an Otter box on a belt clip, off hand side (work pays for that)
LG neck bluetooth

Put a lot of thought into this EDC, I'd love you guys feed back on improvements and why.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:21:09 PM by jhull87 »

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »
Man sure would be nice to be able to have job that you could carry at work other than working in a gun store or being a LEO.

Homeshow are you permitted carry at work or .....??

I'm not which is why I carry the way I do. In NC LEGALLY I'm allowed to carry at work but because of my out dated work handbook it says I can't. The next step is informing the boss of new laws. My next step is just informing my boss of the 2011 "new" laws.

Offline tburto33

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Outdoor Articles
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:49 PM »
My EDC:
Kal Tec P11
Streamlight Stylus Pro LED Flashlight
Mini Standard Screwdriver w/ pen clip(you have no idea how often I actually use that)
Winchester Pocket Knife
Keys, Wallet, and Cell Phone

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
Excluding any type of pack, here's what I keep on my person:

- Wallet: ID, carry permit, insurance cards, AAA card, credit & debit, business cards, spare check, ~40$ cash
- Key chain: truck key, fiance's big freakin' car key and fob, house key, various other keys, 8GB USB, P38 wrapped with rubber band (recent addition).
- iPhone 5: I don't go crazy with apps, but there are some really useful ones. Even just having access to the internet pretty much everywhere has incredible utility
- Knife: I like to say, 'any man worth his salt carries a knife.' I carry a Gerber Paraframe I 1/2 serrated. 3.5" blade with thumb peg for one-handed opening. Carved out handle makes it unnoticeably light
- Watch: Nothing fancy, just a Timex Expedition. Waterproof and glows in the dark.
- Pepper spray: Sabre Red. Runner strap makes grabbing it in the correct orientation very easy.
- Flashlight: Old one crapped out. Debating the MAGlight Solitaire LED vs Fenix E01 vs new Fenix E05. Any recommendations?
- Handkerchief: Like a knife, you'll never realize how useful one is until you carry it.
- Pen & mechanical pencil: Come to think of it, I should probably add a very small notebook, or a couple scraps of paper in my wallet...
- Solid footwear: I never leave the house in sandals. At minimum, something I can run in. Generally Chippewa boots with paracord laces.
- Leather belt: Keeps my pants at a respectable altitude, and I figure a length of leather could come in handy in a pinch
- Baseball cap: Sort of like the knife and handkerchief, I find many uses beyond keeping the sun off my face

Put a lot of thought into this EDC, I'd love you guys feed back on improvements and why.
jhull87 - I'm curious how you decide what to include in your EDC. You seem to carry a lot of things, including multiple knives. For me, something really has to 'earn' its way into my EDC by providing a near-daily utility. The exception is the pepper spray, for obvious reasons. Many people on this forum seem to have an EDC very much like yours, and I'm not knocking your choices in any way, but we've both thought about the minimum set of things we'd like with us and have come to different conclusions.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
- Flashlight: Old one crapped out. Debating the MAGlight Solitaire LED vs Fenix E01 vs new Fenix E05. Any recommendations?

my Fenix E01 died after a year. the spring became too compressed. Tech support suggested cleaning then stretching the spring. The spring was a pain in the butt to get back in after stretching it and it only worked for a few months after that.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
If you want advice on flashlights look up Endurance. He'll tell you more that you could ever want to know about what you could possibly carry.

endurance

« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2014, 04:51:55 AM »
If you want advice on flashlights look up Endurance. He'll tell you more that you could ever want to know about what you could possibly carry.
Thanks for the nod.

If I were looking for the most bang in the smallest, most reliable format I'd have to go with the FourSevens 123 mini

So small you don't even notice it's there in your pocket, but super bright when you need it but capable of dimming for long battery life over 100 hours.

I'm not a fan of the AAA battery because of its low output and short life.  None the less, some people insist on it because it's cheap.  My experience is limited with the Fenix and whiles the LD01 I had served its purpose as a clip on head lamp, the 70-85 lumens that the AAA lights put out pales in comparison to any CR123 light.  I can get good CR123s online. For $1each, and since they'll outlast 4-5 AAA batteries for the same output, the 123 is the better value in the end.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:25 AM »
Endurance, what about the AA instead of the AAA?  Do you have any single cell AA recommendations?  Or is the AA just as bad as the AAA?

Thanks!

Doc

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
I can get good CR123s online. For $1each, and since they'll outlast 4-5 AAA batteries for the same output, the 123 is the better value in the end.

Where are you getting those prices? The best I've ever seen is ~$3 per battery, which is why I've shied away from them for a flashlight form factor. A rechargeable AA seems to make more sense given my uses and the price point of batteries. Especially because the light you linked says not to use rechargeable 123s (is that legit or marketing?).

Offline Tactical Hamster

• Survivor
  • Maybe he is born with it, maybe it is the beard
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »
I carry a Gerber religiously and a zippo. From there it becomes hit and miss, I do better in the winter since I have more pockets with jackets, it is hard to try and stuff everything into shorts pockets. I wear a vest if it is not too hot. In that i carry a pocket knife, bandanna, small Prince Tec flashlight.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
Where are you getting those prices? The best I've ever seen is ~$3 per battery, which is why I've shied away from them for a flashlight form factor. A rechargeable AA seems to make more sense given my uses and the price point of batteries. Especially because the light you linked says not to use rechargeable 123s (is that legit or marketing?).

I have found batteries for 1 - 2 dollars for cr123's.
http://search.batteryjunction.com/mod_search/index.php?query=cr123&catalog=theshorelinemarket

My choice on should I use rechargeable or not is based on the mfg.  The power rating between rechargeable and non-rechargeable can cause issues on performance and over powering the device.  If the device is not designed to work with both types I will often skip buying the hardware.

For pure power output skip rechargeable batteries.  However, for day in and day out use I would never be without rechargeable batteries. 

I do like using this flashlight on the bill of my baseball cap.  It does kick out a lot of light, and it is not always cheap to feed.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-s10-xml2.html

The big problem with this flashlight is that the on/off button is way too easy to trigger when in your pocket. 

endurance

« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
http://m.batteryjunction.com/tpen-tcr123a-.html

And yes, AA are no more efficient than AAA. It's the chemistry and the voltage that give 123s the advantage.

endurance

« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
Sorry, I was in a hurry when I made my last post and didn't compete my answer.

I'm a flashaholic. I pursued perfection from the start and the Quark mini123 was the first light that amazed me, but I didn't stop there and I have a trail of lights I've bought since then to demonstrate my obsession. I stand by my recommendation for most people who aren't as obsessed as me and in this case because the person making the original request was carrying something that was, IMHO, an easy light to improve on.

The quark mini123 is a hard light to fault for it's size, simplicity, and lack of things to break. On most lights the single greatest cause of failure is the clickie switch. The mini has no clickie switch, so therefore it is more reliable than any light in it's price range. Now, my reason for leaving this light behind (now in my hiking kit rather than edc) is because of a) it's size- it's actually too small for my pockets and I was having to dig for it which annoyed me and b) the lack of a momentary on switch for tactical applications. I also have an older generation that only put out 185 lumens and while that is adequate light for most applications, I'm a lumen-whore without apology. Oh, and yes, the rechargeable thing needs to be taken very seriously with CR123 lights. The voltage between a CR123 and and RCR123 is significant and using an RCR for a light not designed to handle it will fry the light.

My next EDC was the JetBeam PC10. This is still my nightstand light and a light I have very few issues with. It became my light when the Lumen-whore in me discovered that it could use either a cr123 or an rcr123 and with the rechargeable would put out close to 500 lumens!  It also had a tactical momentary switch, a programmable brightness setting and a way to always get to your brightest setting with a twist of the bezel. This was an important feature because I was finding with the mini that getting to my brightest setting without scrolling through settings was valuable for dealing with the homeless after work in the winter.

But alas, I was on a quest, so along with the wanting instant full bright, I also needed to be able to access the dimmest setting on demand, too. In the mornings I need to be able to find my clothes in a dark room without disturbing my loving wife. So I need something between a half and three lumens without having to cycle. So on to the scene came my Sunwayman V10R. Still 500 lumens, still a momentary switch, but a super strong spring that's reversible so I can clip it to my hat rim for headlamp use and a dial brightness setting that goes from .5-480 lumens with the twist of the wrist. I carry every day with a rechargeable 123, but have a primary 123 in every kit and pocket for the lower output but several day battery life on the super low settings. When I got this light it was on close out for $50 because they were upgrading from 480 to 500+ lumens. When I lost my light I nearly cried and was fortunate to find a replacement on sale for $70 since they now retail for $79-100. The new one was the upgraded 500+ lumen model and, well, I didn't like it as much. The lowest setting with the RCR is too bright, like 3-5 lumens vs .5 with my old one. I was disappointed until I was cleaning out my car and found my old one. It remains my edc while the new one is part of my EMT pants for middle of the night calls.

So my pickiness has no limits. I relegate a $70 flashlight that is brighter and newer to occasional use while holding on high a cheaper, dinged up, dimmer light because of one little thing that bothers me. And of course, I can't bring myself to sell any of them. Which is also why I have both an Olight E3s and a fenix LD01, two nearly identical lights, filling identical niches in my life (although I'll confess, I didn't pay for the Olight, it came free with my new sleeping bag, but is now my preferred of the two, but suffers from an inferior clip to the fenix, which is why I still recommend the fenix first).

My name is endurance and I am a flashaholic.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2014, 12:39:49 AM »
well, no one is perfect. take it from a flashaholic buddy....

Now i geenrally agree with the latest posts but i will have to add:

For pure power output skip rechargeable batteries.

that is not true for hi-drain, high-output devices. Modern AA flashlights will be compromised with the use of alkalines. These were never designed to stand the 2 amps draw of modern flashlights (getting a bit technical)

we have missed the game changing effect of the AA & AAA lithiums.
A Energizer L91 (AA) is very similar to the CR123 (yet those can be found cheaper among lithium batteries)

in similar terms, the lithum rechargable AA battery is the same (some argue a tiny bit better) than the rechargables RCR123s.

So a common man can skimp on the CR123 lights and go for the equivalent 1xA models, one the expense of larger size.
But he will be able to use
AA rechargables
AA alkalines
AA lithiums (Energizer L91)
14500 (lithium rechargable AA)
14505 (3V lithiums, non-rechargable AAs) (a bit esoteric option)

Actually modern flashlight manufacturers use the same head for both the 1xAA, 2xAA, and Cr123 versions of the same light.
Some also offer an extender for their CR123 lights to take the AAs.

So one of my EDC lights is a Sunwayman V10R+extender= the V10A model.
this way i can enjoy the CR123 types of batteries too

and in total flashaholic smugness....
I have bored out the Sunwayman extender to CR123 inside thckness. And I amable to use 2 more Esoteric battery types.

Seems a write up of my EDC accessories is in order.

Offline MyFreedom

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:42 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for an everyday carry that does not (for legal reasons) include guns?.  Thanks!

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:31 AM »
Are you looking for suggestions on EDC items for self-defense, other than guns? There are other threads on this topic, so I'll keep it brief.

Here is a short list of ideas, and I'm sure others on the forum can offer many more:
- Knife
- Pepper spray
- Stun gun
- Cane
- 'slap cap' or similar

Personally, I carry pepper spray. It provides a less-than-lethal option to deter an assailant from a safe range and get my a$$ out of harm's way. It's small, affordable, and can be carried almost anywhere. True, some people (especially those on drugs) can fight through it, but in most circumstances it will be more than enough. In fact, I believe even those who concealed carry would benefit from a less-than-lethal option.

As always, you need to determine your personal needs/wants, understand the relevant laws where you live, and make an informed decision.