Author Topic: No Mowing Grass ++++  (Read 2227 times)

Offline MsGarden

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
No Mowing Grass ++++
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »
We have a permanent BOL...we live here and wouldn't leave. The farm supplies a lot of our food, energy and more. We've been working on making the location secure and safe for ourselves.

A few years ago we bought some naturally short growing grasses a few years ago from NoMowGrass.com and planted it around the buildings to keep down rodents and snakes (they don't like open spaces). There are other no mowing grasses, but they all seem to be taller and we wanted really short grass....or Irish/Scottish mosses which would have been much more expensive.

It keeps down the maintenance on the place too so we've been planting a little every year - I put it in paths in the permaculture gardens and around the base of trees. I plan on eventually doing more around the wooded areas so I have a good visual for deer, coons and other things that tend to invade my gardens, orchards and permaculture gardens. They can take down a lot of good food fast - trouble is - they often only take a bit out of an ear of corn, a tomato or bite off the heads on the broccoli. I've even seen them take bites out of apples on the dwarf fruit trees!

I have to give them a 4-Star. It would be a 5-Star but the stuff isn't cheap.

MSGarden'er
MSGarden'er

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: No Mowing Grass ++++
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
I dig the Idea. How much rain fall do you get in your local? It rain's a lot in my area. My back yard borders 8,000 plus acres of forest. I get that forest affect rainfall jack talks about all the time. I spend way too much time mowing. My current plan is to get some fencing done this winter, put cages around my fruit tree saplings and get two llama for mowers.

Offline Spencerusvi

• Prepper
    • Three Palms Villa
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »
I'm going to look into this as well .... Hoping to get a nice area and fight back the weeds.

Offline cdhm22

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
Did you guys look at clover instead of short grasses? It usually stays below a foot and actually helps attract wild life. We had a mostly clover back yard and I reseeded it to grass when I bought my house and totally regret it. The clover was easier to maintain and never needed watering. I'm talking about the white flower version, don't remember the name.

Offline Spencerusvi

• Prepper
    • Three Palms Villa
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Totally agree with the clover and know Jack would as well.