Author Topic: Are you Tough enough?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
Are you Tough enough?
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
This past week I started a team to run the Tough Mudder in May of 2012. For those of you that are not familiar with the event, it's 10-12 miles and 20 os so obstacles to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. I already have 10-12 people on my team and have made a personal goal to raise $500 on my own. I haven't been the most fit person over the last few years and was looking for some external motivation. The Wounded Warriors have a special place in my heart and they deserve every ounce of sweat that I can give them.

I have only been running for about 2 weeks and can run about 2.5 miles pretty comfortably. My workout plan is to run 3 days a week. My goal is to increase my distance about 1/4 every week or two until I can run 8 miles easily. As my distances increase, I will increase the days in between to rest. Every other workout will include at least 1 mile that is run at full speed to help get my lungs ready.  Included in my weekly workouts will be pushups, pullups, dips, abs, and other exercises that I can do on my own. 

The purpose of posting it here was to give myself some more accountability. It motivates me knowing that the people close to me... and some people I have met online... are expecting me to follow through with my commitment. The goal of Tough Mudder is simply to finish with your team. Only 75% of people finish and that is my main goal. I plan on taking every one of my team members across that line with me.

Check out this cool video of the event. The final 90 seconds is particularly motivating to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31CblNtLbkg&feature=player_embedded

frosty

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
Re: Are you Tough enough?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
I finshed the Vermont TM last year with my wife.  It's good that you're training now.  Run alot, lift weights, we actually did the workout videos Insanity in preperation.  10 miles up and down Mount Snow, not to mention the 36 degree water you get to be submerged in 3 times.  We've already signed up for 2012 but I think I'm going to have a schedule conflict this year.  Bummer, it was a high point in our 2011.  When you're done you will feel a GREAT sense of accomplishment.  Good luck!