Author Topic: Almost all Preps lost, working on coping with it.  (Read 13734 times)

Offline valerie21601

• Prepper
Almost all Preps lost, working on coping with it.
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
Earlier this month I found out my mother and my sister, (who I live with) nearly ate all of my emergency prep foods up!!!  As in almost all of the Mountain House meals I have bought through out these past 14-18 months!  I thought they especially my sister was on board with preparing for the hard times to come.    I bought enough emergency food preps for a month for 4 adults (a niece lives with us too) and thought I was helping to build up several weeks worth of food up for us too. Plus several days worth of emergency pet food and treats.

Due to a painful tricky knee I can't go up and down  stairs especially the steep ones our basement has, so I would hand the food to my sister to take down to the cellar and put it up for later.  I went out of my way to make sure my mom didn't find out about the Prep Foods and my sister agreed with me at the time.    (My mom is morbidly obese, she can barely take care of herself and when she knows there is food around that she loves to eat she has little self control on the amounts she will eat.)

When I caught my mom eating a Mountain House 4 serving package I knew my sister had given it to her.   I went down into the cellar and found out barely anything was left!   Turns out they were often waiting for me to go to bed for the night and they would fix, eat it and hide the packages in the trash can so I wouldn't see it.     I felt so betrayed by my sister.  I really thought from our talks and everything I truly believed she was working with me on this.   Sadly she has no regrets about doing this to me.

From the way she now talks, she has taken not one but three steps back about the times coming and towards preparing and has a horrible case of normalcy bias.  Now she refutes almost everything I thought she and I believed in on it.     She's washed her hands on preparing, tells I am on my own from now on.   Not easy to do in our household since her and my mom have pretty much found every hiding place I have around the house.  I am a 47 year old, single woman, no kids,  stuck in my mothers house for now.   Not at all sure where to go where it concerns my preps.  Advice?  Maybe all I want is a shoulder to cry on.   
I have family members who sincerely believe they will be RAPTURED out of this before it gets too bad, so it does no good to talk to them about the subject.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Almost all Preps lost, working on coping with it.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
Oh wow, I'm so sorry to read this.

Unfortunately, I doubt there are any easy answers.  Maybe a temperature controlled storage facility to keep your preps?  Not an ideal plan, but it keeps your preps under your control.  Unless you think that they would find out and manage to get a hold of your key to the facility.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
Sorry to hear - a friend of mine had a bunch of her long term food storage evaporate when she was in the hospital.  A bunch of other things turned up missing, but with some help from her oldest kids they manage to track down her 20 ga shot gun and squirrel rifle. 

If you have the ability to cook, the only thing I could recommend is start back up with a core of rice, beans, pasta.  None cost that much - and a simple plastic jug(s) could be used to store stuff that will last a few years.  The next step if possible is to lock it up the "good" stuff.  Whole wheat flour stored up the same way can have a good shelf life.  Nope, none of it will last 20 years - but these are the basics you can stock back up on the cheap - and when you can afford longer term food - eaten as daily food.

What get's me on this - if they believe they will be part of the rapture.... ahh fuzzy peanuts - I guess they just don't believe what they are doing is stealing and some how feel they deserve it.

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
This is really sad.

My feeling is that you've done all the prepping you should do for your family members.  You bought them emergency food, they ate it.  Fine, you're done.  Take whatever is left -- it's yours.  Get it all out of the house ASAP.  Maybe a friend can store it for you temporarily, until you can find a secure spot.  Don't store anything important in your mom's house.

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  At this point, all you can do is prep for your own needs.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
Sorry to hear this. A possible suggestion would be to rent a storage unit away from sister and mother. Don't tell them it's location and then begin again. Since you have already done this before you will know what to store and how much.

Trying not to diminish what's happened to you, but it could have also been a flood or tornado or other bad weather related thing that took your supplies. Surely something for us all to think about ourselves.

In the mean time, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back in the saddle. We are all here for you and support your effort.

Offline valerie21601

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »
I have thought about using a storage facility but I can't afford the money it costs around here on my budget.

If I had lost the food through a natural disaster or house burning down I could cope with it being outside of my control.   In this case it was done by family and they aren't the least bit ashamed about what they did to me.  I can see now my sister was playing me for a fool.

With luck I will have my own tiny place by the end of the year.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 01:49:23 AM »
I have no ideas, but an so sorry for what happened to you. I urge you get out as others have suggested. Please don't loose hope or will. Things will improve.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:59:32 AM »
Would some of your extended family allow temp storage till u get your own place? 
I hate to mention it but even when u move, you will still have to be carefull when stocking up.  Unless, the dont plan to visit. But if they do In an emergency, you will be in the same boat.  Im sorry, but I grew up in a similar situation where your siblings had no respect for what was not theirs...
I hope you are able to find  a solution.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 03:07:27 AM »
Getting your own place sounds like the best idea,however, if your sister is still mobile and she comes over to your new place, you might have the same problem again. Hopefully not.

It's a very hard thing to take when you've worked so hard for your family only to have all your effort and hard work taken away by the very people you're trying to help and protect.

I salute you for your determination, commitment and hard work. I know that when the sting of this wears away you will begin again. After all, you are a survivor.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »
You can just have it shipped to my house  ;D  Seriously, do you have a closet or a room to yourself that you can fit a lock and padlock on? Sounds like getting away isn't possible right now, so keeping your own space completely private and secure might be your best option. You can always store your clothes in the basement and your food in your bedroom if that's what it takes.

And I doubt that unrepentant thieves will experience anything during the Rapture except shock.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »
First, let me say that I am sorry this happened to you! The betrayal of family is most hard to deal with!
Second, why can't you move? I hear that money is an issue, but a private room as a renter might be a better idea!
I think if it were me, I would still buy preps and put them in MY room...in a box marked "rags" or some such and put a real LOCK on the door.  Be creative and don't share that you have bought anything...smuggle it in or whatever (big bags are good for that!)
Let them know that you feel betrayed and that they have stolen from you and you will never, ever trust them again, and stick to that.

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
    • http://www.mavericksolar.net
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
I think it is the same as if you had money an envelope and they took it out while you were not looking. I would expect them to pay you back.

If they can't pay it back, then I would not live with people that steal and lie to you. Respect is thicker than blood.

P.S. Can a person be raptured if they can't obey "Thou shalt not steal".

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »

get out now while you can.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
If they can't pay it back, then I would not live with people that steal and lie to you. Respect is thicker than blood.

Regardless of whether they can or do pay you back, either you or them need to resort to alternative living accommodations.

Just my two cents.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you, Valerie.

My family is allowed full access to the rotating food storage with the caveat that they mark down what has been used. The accounting gets slack at times though and can really put me behind when it's not accurately tracked, especially with donations to food drives that they don't mark down.

Still, they don't try to lift this stuff behind my back. I'd feel completely betrayed if i were in your shoes.

In any case...

Without the options of either moving out of the house or securing a secondary location for food storage, I'd look into something in my home that was only accessible by me.

If I were in a similar situation I'd start storing supplies in my bedroom's closet and add a lock to which only I had the keys. This would most likely mean that I'd have to move my clothes elsewhere in the home, but no one would mess with those. It's probably the cheapest, easiest solution to this type of problem.

Barring that, I'd try to find a decent chest with a lock. I've seen a number of suitable chests, footlockers and steamer trunks around that weren't too pricey. If worse came to worse, with a little ingenuity, some scrounging and a trip to Lowes I could build a lock box on a shoestring budget. It may not be the prettiest piece of furniture to be made by human hands, but I could always put a nice drape over it for a little flare. :D

In those two cases you're probably not going to be able to store what you once could have due to limited space, but something set aside is better than giving up and having nothing to fall back on in an emergency.

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
If I were in a similar situation I'd start storing supplies in my bedroom's closet and add a lock to which only I had the keys.

Bedroom closets typically have the hinges on the bedroom side.  So a really determined person could pull out the hinge pins and take the door off, even if it had a lock.

It's my impression that the temptation came from the "instant meal" nature of your supplies.  I'd bet that if you stored raw materials (flour, rice, beans, and such), your family members would be too lazy to steal them and cook them.

amanadoo

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
First of all, I'm sorry that happened. It sucks.

My thought is that it would be more frugal to store more basic stuff, rather than mountain house instant type. As was said above, that's more appealing too for thieves. Or is there something you love that they hate?

I am envisioning two grown women waiting to STEAL food from a close family member....how awful.

Noah

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
You have problems much bigger than food stocks right now.  You are living with two family members who have no regard for what you have worked for or value.  You will likely not be able to keep anything as long as you are sharing a house with them.

Maybe you should just focus on saving money and keeping it in the bank for the day when you can be secure again.   There are no easy solutions for you right now.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
Bedroom closets typically have the hinges on the bedroom side.  So a really determined person could pull out the hinge pins and take the door off, even if it had a lock.

That there is a fine point.

That calls for a set of Non Removable Pin Hinges. You can find them in most standard sizes for about $3.00 a piece.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:48:11 PM by Nicodemus »

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
Ugh this sucks! Sorry to hear it Val. If you're stuck in the house and can't trust them, why not get a locking cabinet for your basement? Might be the best bet to keep the more appealing preps away from the family.

Hope you're able to figure something out..

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
I am sorry this has happened to you. I can tell you this though. When you start over, it may not be simple but you don't need them.

You don't need family or friends who will do that to you. I recommend moving now before you put any more money into anything.

And if you say you can't....then you don't want to. Where there is a will there is a way. Understand that you are the only one you can truly trust. Take care of yourself first. And you are worth better treatment.

Cry and get it over with, pack up and move on.

Offline valerie21601

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and the advice.   I forgot to mention I can't move into my own place until the place I have lined up, the current tenants move out between now and the end of the year.   Then wait a bit for total cleaning, carpet removal and a fresh coat of paint for the place.   

It's looks like a pretty good location to me, it's near some local forest.   I hope to be able to do some guerrilla gardening/planting in the area of ground nuts, sunchokes, sunflowers, woods strawberries in the woods. Found grapes growing wild and ignored by the neighborhood.  I found long forgotten black walnuts, hickories, chestnuts and a few other nut trees I am working on identifying, an elderly neighbor said there used to be an old nut orchard in the area, nearly 70 years ago, it was broken up and sold to realtors when the nut orchard owner died.

While my sister and mother will still be able to find me.  I am pretty sure they aren't going to show up at my doorsteps.  My mom is barely able to move on her own because of her morbid obesity and my sister has a double vision and sense of balance problem that keeps her from safely driving any car.  My two other sisters and their own families live too far away for them to just show up at my future doorstep.

My mom and sister don't believe in the Rapture (unless they totally fooled me there) but other family members in my family do.    The one aunt who I dearly love and I can talk to her about almost everything but she turns a deaf ear and a blind eye when it comes to preparing.  She says she and her family doesn't need to prepare for really hard, bad/evil times because God is going to rapture them out of it and only those who believe in false ideals like prepping will be LEFT BEHIND to face the horrors of the Tribulations!   (The Left Behind series is her Number 1 favorite books series.)      What is the most painful and the most lonely is not being able to find someone to talk about this directly, who understand what I am trying to do and why.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
We understand what you're trying to do any why.

I hesitated to comment on this one because I'm coming from an entirely different family dynamic than most. Mine was (I use the past tense because I don't know who's still alive) around 80% pure pieces of shit. I figured that out at a pretty young age and as a result have zero patience with liars and/or thieves. I've never understood the 'blood is thicker than water' thing.

Some people are good, some are not. Some people are honest, some are not. Relatives can hail from either camp and all you can do is separate yourself from the losers as best you can. If you can't physically move at this time at least change your prepping plan to exclude those who would steal and lie. I like the idea of storing your new preps somewhere other than the house. Let them think you gave up on the idea and rebuild your stash in secret.

Just one cranky, unforgiving old blister's opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

Offline Orion53

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
I'm so sorry you went though such betrayal.  As a short term, maybe look for an army footlocker from a military surplus store.  You might be able to pick one up and judging what you say about your relatives, they wouldn't have the ability to break into it.  I also like the idea of telling them "you've given up prepping" and then keeping it up in secret.  That way they might be less likely to come knocking if TSHTF.  You do have to admit that Mountain House is darn delicious  :P

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
<snip> While my sister and mother will still be able to find me.  I am pretty sure they aren't going to show up at my doorsteps.  My mom is barely able to move on her own because of her morbid obesity and my sister has a double vision and sense of balance problem that keeps her from safely driving any car.

This whole thing is too sad for words! I can't even imagine your pain and disappointment.

I am sorry to be a that person, but if the balloon goes up and things get really bad, your mother and/or sister will find a way (or worse, will persuade others to go to your home to get supplies for them). I believe you can count on someone showing up for your preps (not if, but when) and my suggestion is to stock "decoy preps" for the beggars/thieves/raiders that will assuredly show up if times (everyone's or just theirs) get hard. Correspondingly, you must hide your real preps well enough for them to to remain undiscovered.

The one aunt who I dearly love and I can talk to her about almost everything but she turns a deaf ear and a blind eye when it comes to preparing.  She says she and her family doesn't need to prepare for really hard, bad/evil times because God is going to rapture them out of it and only those who believe in false ideals like prepping will be LEFT BEHIND to face the horrors of the Tribulations!   (The Left Behind series is her Number 1 favorite books series.)      What is the most painful and the most lonely is not being able to find someone to talk about this directly, who understand what I am trying to do and why.

The Left Behind authors wrote wonderfully entertaining books full of action and suspense (I've read them all  ;)).

I understand the pain of loving someone who doesn't see the need to prepare. I suggest that instead of a confrontational approach to help her, you begin by asking her for information. Ask her to teach you, to show you where in the Bible, it talks about "the Rapture". Ask her if preparing herself might leave behind supplies to sustain those who are supposed be "saved" during the Tribulation if they don't starve to death. Ask her to show you where the Bible says it's wrong to prepare for hard times. I don't know . . . just keep trying to help her. Perhaps you'll just have to prep for her.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
I also am sorry for your sake.  It sounds like you have a plan in place and are just waiting out the time until you can move forward.  Good for you.

I am an Evangelical Christian.  I very much enjoyed the Left Behind series.  I do believe in the Rapture.  I also believe in the historical account of Joseph in Egypt setting up the storehouses during the seven years of plenty against the 7 years of famine.  I believe in the statement by Paul in a letter to one of the early churches (can't remember which one and my Bible isn't close at hand to look it up) that basically says, "If they don't work, they don't eat."

In Genesis, the Bible speaks of God cursing the ground for Man's sake.  That is, he made is so that man had to work at it to grow and harvest food.  He made death a reality for Mankind.  Historically, famines, wars, and other disasters have occurred that are not the plagues and punishments foretold in Revelation and elsewhere in Scripture.  In Noah's time, God decided to wipe clean Mankind from the Earth, but repented from his decision when he looked upon Noah.  That right there could have been the end of the world for Man, but was not.  Moreover, more could have been saved from the flood had they only listened to Noah's message of repentance and preparedness.  Preparing against hard times is a mark of wisdom...a virtue highly valued in Scripture.

Keep your chin up, your hopes high, your faith strong, and your wisdom within you.  For whatever it is worth, I am proud of you for your efforts.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
This will make you a better person.  In my opinion, they owe you money.  It is easier said than done to cut ties, especially with family, but you need to start looking out for yourself.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
Maybe they only heard the "eat what you store" part of "store what you eat..."
This might make an exciting episode on a Jerry Springer show.

Okay, just trying to lighten things up, seriously it appears as if you experienced a "S.H.T.F." event that wiped out your storage no different that had it been a flood, tornado, house fire. Sorry to hear about it and hope things work out.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
Well, this is a little different.  Unlike a natural disaster or mass man made scenario (war, accident, etc.), in this case, Valerie has a specific cause close to home upon which her anger and hard feelings can easily be focused.  That it is family that intentionally caused her balloon to go up only adds a layer of complication to matters.  On the one hand, being betrayed by family is far worse and less forgivable in the eyes of most people than being betrayed by friend or stranger.  On the other hand, that the offender is family imparts a compulsion to forgive whether or not that forgiveness is warranted or even justified.  It is even worst in Valerie's case as one of the people who has hurt her also gave birth to her and the other has been a lifelong companion and ally (in theory).

With the exception of a rather abrupt and rude awakening which will prevent her from being blindsided again and the fact that she wasn't blindsided right in the middle of some major balloon going up, no good can come of this no matter how it falls out.

My heart goes out to you, Valerie.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to be of help to you.  Now if a case or 2 of canned goods once you can secure them would help, PM me your address and I will get them in the mail in a couple of days.  We can call it the TSP prep reconstruction initiative.  ;)

Incidentally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like the above actually come into being here.  It occurs to me that many of us here have had times where we could use a little help but had no one to whom we could turn.  I can't save the world or even a handful of those here, but I might be able to offer enough help once in a while to buy a member in need a couple of days.  If enough of us were in such a position, those relatively few of us who came up short once might have an easier time of it.  The flip side is that those helped really ought to consider that they may be called on to do some of the helping in the future.  Not lending a hand after receiving one would be a good way to become a pariah around here.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
Now if a case or 2 of canned goods once you can secure them would help, PM me your address and I will get them in the mail in a couple of days.  We can call it the TSP prep reconstruction initiative.  ;)

Incidentally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like the above actually come into being here.  It occurs to me that many of us here have had times where we could use a little help but had no one to whom we could turn.

THIS is a fabulous idea! I don't have any clue how we could structure it but wouldn't it be great to have some kind of TSP 'in house' help system in place. Let's start a separate thread & brainstorm it!