Author Topic: Almost all Preps lost, working on coping with it.  (Read 13737 times)

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Almost all Preps lost, working on coping with it.
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »
First off I'm sorry to hear about the situation you are dealing with. I just have a couple of questions. Do you contribute to the family budget? Are you helping out with the rent? I ask these questions because if you don't maybe they feel they are entitled to some of the food storage as part of your contribution to the household budget. That doesn't make it right and I think it is down right despicable the way it was done. Are they having financial difficulties or in other words is your family having a SHTF situation right now?

I do feel that you should try to help the weakest members of your community when times are tough.
The very old and the very young are the first that come to mind.
People with medical issues and those that are having a medical emergency.
Members dealing with a ongoing SHTF situation at the present time.

I think a good short term solution is to keep your preps in your vehicle if you have one. If not I would try to keep a 3 day pack and some cash in your most secure location in the house.

LJH, I'll participate in the new thread.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:18:31 AM by average_joe »

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »
I am really sorry you have had to deal with this. The other posters have some great ideas and perhaps once you are in your own place and able to store preps safely you can attempt the conversation with your family again.

However; many people simply just do not believe there are hard times ahead. The media has brainwashed many and the rest well they are of the give me, give me crowd.

Best of luck to you in your future prep endeavors. For now focus on those things that are not ready to eat. Wheatberries, rice, beans, wheat, flour etc.

Sarey

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »
Boy that really is crapy.  I would imagine the betrayal  you feel is most painful.  It is true any one of us at any time  could find our preps and hard work gone.  The betrayal is most likely the most difficult to deal with.  It will be up to you if you want to forgive and forget.  Or maybe you can forgive but not forget.  Sounds to me like you mom has an illness / addiction and your sister is an enabler co-dependant.  Maybe finding a support group to help you deal with this may be needed.  It sounds like there are separate issues here.  Dealing with them separately for what they are might make it easier for you to do what you have to. 

If some hard times did come to pass would you really be able to turn them away.  If you think that you would not be able to do that it would be a good idea to store up on basics flour cornmeal what ever that you intend on just giving them.  I think it is wise to have some things stored up with intent on just handing it out.  I also am a firm believer that you get your own back yard in order before you think about helping others. 

I know Mt House is good food but not cheap.  You are having money issues you need to get that in order before you are spending bigger money on long term food items.  Starting simply and at low cost.  Saving money is most important.  Not knowing your personal situation I don't mean to offend.  However if you had a large savings account you could move out today even if that meant going to a hotel or other short term place.  Cash is king.  I know you can't eat cash soup but it is a balancing act. 

The silver lining in this if you can call it that is you now know first hand the importance of protection and security.  You have found out first hand how it feels to have your preps gone.  How it feels to deal with the people that have done this.  If things get as bad as some say then the wisdom and experience you have is priceless.  It has happened at a time when you can and are able to build it back up.  Now when you do that you will be able to see more problems with keeping your stuff secure and be able to make corrections that are needed for security.  I know for me I have huge holes in that area that need fixing. 

Keep doing what you are doing. Talk to and share with those that will listen.  If you spend to much time trying to convince those that really prefer to stay asleep that can suck your energy.  Sometimes it's just better to smile and say well better add another bucket of flour to the pile. 

As for your living arrangements if you truly can't go to a friends house and you are stuck where you are at I would not worry about getting more preps.  Save your money for your new place.  What preps you have left and need to secure friends house? trunk of your car? locks on doors? locking box?  burry in the back yard?  Maybe you could find an old refrigerator or freezer for free and put stuff in there lock it down.  maybe if your new neighbor is receptive they would allow you to store the freezer there until you move?  Something like that could be stored outside even at least for a while.  In any case I am sorry for your losses.  Grieve and press on.  I like chips with my pity party.  We all need them from time to time.  Keep us posted on how you handle things and all the new wonderful creative adaptive ideas you come up with for securing your preps.  Just try not to be to bitter for to long it will only bring you down.  Life is to short for that.  Remember you have lots of shoulders here we got your back.  :D

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
Get out, Valerie, as soon as you can, and don't even think about rebuilding your preps until that time. OK, maybe a case of Spam and a couple of boxes of instant potatoes, just in case........ BUT, the subliminal message that I am getting is that there is much more here than meets the eye. This is not a healthy environment for you to be in, and the longer you stay, the worse it will be for you.

Ignore any attempts to lay a guilt trip on you for being selfish "after all we've done for you", and remember that as an adult with no children, your first responsibility is to yourself. They are the way they are because THEY choose that path.

I'm sorry to see a  family broken because of such a minor - relatively speaking - occurrence, but better it happen now than in a more critical time.

I also agree with the idea of storing foods that you have to prepare - rice, pasta, canned goods, etc., rather than pre-prepared meals (Mountain Home or MREs) At most, you'd need a week's supply as "hard rations", otherwise it is healthier and considerably less expensive to do-it-yourself.

Good luck with your family, and better luck with your move.

soupbone

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
MODERATOR'S NOTE:  I split out a few posts from this thread and moved them to the TSP prep reconstruction initiative topic.