Author Topic: hallajuha  (Read 6133 times)

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
hallajuha
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:52 PM »
i just stumbled upon this podcast today and the forums as well.  i think i might be in love.

so, hello ladies.  i've been survival minded for many years but just recently moved back to the country (after living in the city during my wild & crazy 20's) and settled down with a family.  reality must be setting in, because i feel the need for prep.   
my husband only cares about the firearms aspect (well, that's not EXACTLY fair)  ;D   but i'm planning my spring garden, adding fruiting trees and shrubs to our landscape (anybody have any pawpaw recipes?), and wondering where the chicken coop will go. 

we have a two year old daughter and i honestly think our concern for her has lit the fire under both of our butts.

i'm looking forward to sharing and gaining information.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: hallajuha
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »
Whats it gonna take?  teamwork!

Welcome to the forums.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:06:11 AM »
Welcome sneauxball!!!

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
Welcome!

My husband is more into guns than I am (and more into cars than anything,) but he has come around quite a bit since we moved to the sticks.  Jack has a great post about getting your partner on board, and my experience has been that being positive and easy about it helps more than trying to force the issue.  We have only done two gardens to date (about to start seeds for the third,) but he helped till the last one and we put away several gallons of frozen vegetables; canned about 30 quarts of pears and peas, and ate CHEAP and healthy all summer.  We turned off the gas and have been burning fallen trees for heat (rather labor intensive, but saving $300-$400/month) in the wood stove.  It's been very rewarding doing this together.  Even our three-year-old loves helping pick peas and playing in the dirt.  It's a great way.  ;D

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »
thanks for the welcomes.

he is in no way discouraging what i'm doing.  he said before we moved out here "could we plant a lot of fruit trees?"  to which i gave a rather over-enthusiastic "SURE!"  :D

he works nights, so when i'm up planning and planting the garden with our two year old (she loves to help), he's snoozing.  yesterday afternoon i showed him what i planted (two paw paws, a satsuma and a lime), what i'm about to plant (brown turkey fig, row of blueberries, bay tree, rosemary), my spring garden plans, and all the wild blackberries growing ten fet from our house.  he listened, patiently, and then insisted we have a weapons seminar with our guns, to which i patiently participated.  i suppose it was a productive day  ;D

on a plus, my parents live "down the pasture" a quarter of a mile.  my dad is coming over with the chainsaw and tractor this week to help me gather firewood that hurricane gustav "gave" us.  he also has a large garden (if his gmo corn pollinates my heirloom corn i'm gonna be peeved!!! :D)  and my mom cans like crazy.  i'm looking forward to the moter-daughter canning lessons this summer.  Last summer i just watched and helped a bit.

Pokethis

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:26 AM »
Welcome hallajuha.

I live in the suburbs.  My husband doesn't discourage me but thinks I'm paranoid.  He does however enjoy the "fruits" of my labor.  This summer I will have a small garden once again (got out of the practice for a while till I came upon this podcast and site!).  Plan on canning and freezing a lot too.

I've always had the feeling that I need to be prepared "in case" something were to happen.  This site has given me better focus and direction.

Welcome again!

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:41:53 AM »
Welcome to the group!  I live in a rural setting as well and don't have the ability to have the fruit trees you can, but we do have a rather large garden.  Last year we got lazy and didn't get as much from our garden as we should have...but this summer I'm determined will be different!  I'm learning more about canning and dehydrating and storing food..this site has been a terrific resource!