Author Topic: Protecting yourself from an aggresive dog attack  (Read 31021 times)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
Re: Protecting yourself from an aggresive dog attack
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
Rita,
   You seem like you know what you are doing, and seem pretty comfortable in it now. I know you are not allowed to carry pepper spray. I will make two suggestions to this end. One it to carry the bulb of lemon juice I mentioned. Its a pretty unconventional weapon and probably not likely to be questioned as or identified as a weapon. There is also an item called the key defender made by asp, the same people who make the collapsable police batons. It is a pepper spray dispenser that doesn't look like anything more threatening than a metal stick the width of your palm. It attaches to your keys and can be used as a flail with the keys on the end and used to strike with the end of the stick and of course it has pepper spray in it. It comes in different sizes and colors and textures of the metal. Its very low profile and probably won't be identified as a weapon by anyone unfamiliar with it. And someone familiar with it probably recognizes the need of it and won't say anything. It also works very well against two legged rats. It would suck loose your job over using it if it ever came down to that. Biut better to have and not need than need and not have. Just for informational purposes.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
Thanks, blademan.  I'll definitely look into it.  The job is probably only going to last another 2 or 3 months (thanks to new technology even the public doesn't want) but that sounds like a really good idea even when it's long gone.

Believe it or not, I've had one kidnapping attempt where the guy was mentally ill and locked me in his yard (high walls, iron gate - but if you want out badly enough, you find a way) and another man try to convince me to stay in his house "forever", so I'm much more worried about the 2-legged threats than dogs.  At least most dogs are pretty upfront about whether they intend to do you harm or not.

I did date a guy once that tried to talk me into carrying a knife anyway, and I told him I couldn't because I'd be fired.  He argued that no one would know unless I actually had to use it, at which point I'd be unemployed... but alive to gripe about it.  Good point.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
I'd imagine that if one of those guys found out you had a pocketful of hotdogs, things might have gotten real weird....

Of course if they were frozen hotdogs you would have a weapon that could do some serious damage.  Not something they would relish!!

:rofl: :clap:

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
I'd imagine that if one of those guys found out you had a pocketful of hotdogs, things might have gotten real weird....

Of course if they were frozen hotdogs you would have a weapon that could do some serious damage.  Not something they would relish!!

:rofl: :clap:

Good one!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
Nothing says, "I don't give a rat's ass what you think about me", like this guy.  My hero.