Author Topic: .22 shorts in a single-shot-- why does Rossi say "Don't do it"?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
.22 shorts in a single-shot-- why does Rossi say "Don't do it"?
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Hi all,

The manual for the Rossi Matched Pair says that firing .22 shorts or anything other than .22 long rifle in a barrel marked .22 LR would void the gun's warranty.  This is a single shot, break action rifle with two barrels, one in .22LR and one in 20 gauge. 

My understanding is that a single shot, break action rifle in .22LR should handle .22 shorts just fine.

So does anyone have an idea why Rossi is saying not to do this? 

Thanks!

-Mandevu.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: .22 shorts in a single-shot-- why does Rossi say "Don't do it"?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
For Legal reasons I'd wager.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
maybe they have had issues with some bullets getting lodge in the barrel ?
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
The .22 CB cap uses a light weight conical bullet in a .22 short case, but it only uses the primer for power. I can see how this could get stuck in the barrel. Rossi is probably trying to cover their, uh, liability by cautioning shooters against .22 shorts. The two cartridges look identical.

Also, I've heard that using shorts in a lr chamber could leave a ring of gunk or corrosion that could make it difficult to chamber the longer cartridge in time.

soupbone
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline Mandevu

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 04:23:08 AM »
Thanks for the ideas everybody! 

I had figured that it was legal CYA stuff and/or bullets lodging in the barrel.  However, I remain curious about why lodging could be a problem in the Rossi when the Marlin XT-22 tube fed bolt action has a longer barrel than the Rossi and specifically mentions the ability to fire .22 shorts in the company's product description.

Never heard about the chamber gunking problem-- I'll watch for it.

If it blows up or anything when I try the shorts, I'll post a follow-up...

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas everybody! 
<<< SNIP>>>
My father gave me a 22 rifle for Christmass when I was six years old (60 years ago)
During that time I have shot many thousand rounds through it.
I still remember my father advising me to brush the barrel and chamber after using shorts, and have always done so.
Never had a problem.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline Rock Deer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rock Deer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
maybe they have had issues with some bullets getting lodge in the barrel ?

In addition the 22 short is just that. Shorter than the 22 LR. When fired the bullet "JUMPS" between the casing and where the lands and grooves of the barrel bore start. In this short distance it can "Wobble" and enter the barrel at an odd angle. Thus wedging in the barrel. Also over time the heavy impacting of a jacketed bullet "Jumping" can wear down the leading edeges of the Lands and Grooves. Damaging accuracey. I've repaired several .357 Mag pistols that people have shot TONS of .38 special through because it's cheaper. Same differance between .22 short and .22 LR. Ruined barrels and ruined cylinders.

Thats just my experiance for what it's worth.
Better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Type 7 FFL manufacturer of long distance rifles.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
There are some reduced load .22LR that are like the Short or CB in velocity but loaded in a .22LR length case.  I think it is Remington or CCI.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Yeah, CCI makes a "CB Long" round that's very quiet.  Muzzle velocity is something like 700 fps.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 02:01:15 PM »
I've put a few shorts through my marlin 60, not something I do regularly but they worked.

For a very quite .22 round try Aguila Colibris they are silent. Seriously I shot a phone book in my basement just to see. You hear the action of the gun, then the bullet thwack the target. Don't know if it would kill anything, got a little penetration in the phone book, and none in a 1/2" piece of OSB.
Quail Stuff

Ebook. http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf
Thread. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42890.0
Prezi. http://prezi.com/kssuytlqgjs4/raising-quail-for-meat-and-eggs/?kw=view-kssuytlqgjs4&rc=ref-37650931
TSP Episode 1017. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-for-eggs-and-meat

Virtual tour of my property, Google Sketchup overlay on Google Earth image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8gkPz1otw

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
~Thomas Edison

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
Soupbone and Rock Deer are correct but I'm not sure they explained it good enough.

Basically the barrel is bored to accept a LR, which is longer than the short. The ball of the short will wear down the edge of the this bore. Over time, either build up can make the LR not fit properly or it can effect the ejection of the round. The factory can tell if shorts are used from the wear on the bore.

The above affects the warranty if you try to get it fixed, but the bottom line is that good cleaning will solve both problems, allowing you to shoot shorts in a LR breakover.

Offline Rock Deer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rock Deer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
Soupbone and Rock Deer are correct but I'm not sure they explained it good enough.

Basically the barrel is bored to accept a LR, which is longer than the short. The ball of the short will wear down the edge of the this bore. Over time, either build up can make the LR not fit properly or it can effect the ejection of the round. The factory can tell if shorts are used from the wear on the bore.

The above affects the warranty if you try to get it fixed, but the bottom line is that good cleaning will solve both problems, allowing you to shoot shorts in a LR breakover.

Over time it can break down and damage the leading edge of the lands and grooves basicly "Shhoting Out" a barrel.
Better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Type 7 FFL manufacturer of long distance rifles.