Author Topic: Ninja Shelter! So easy I should have thought of this!  (Read 10783 times)

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
Ninja Shelter! So easy I should have thought of this!
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »
I recently came across this idea for a shelter and have been pushing it to everybody I know ever since.  You can use lots of different materials, and its incredibly effective. 

http://survivology101.blogspot.com/2011/08/ninja-shelter-video.html

I have a 6x8 tarp that I've set up this way a few times.  It is light, the size of a nalgene bottle, easy to set up in any direction to avoid wind/smoke/being seen.  Also, it has multiple uses, and is easy to conceal if you want to.  The best part is, If you don't already have this stuff, and you are willing to forego the idea of expensive jervin fabric and just use a brown tarp from the hardware store, you can get into this for under 10 bucks.  This one is a keeper for me!

It's starting to get cold here in Iowa.  Lows right around freezing or just below.  I'm taking this idea outside tonight to see how it works out.  I will let you all know.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
Re: Ninja Shelter! So easy I should have thought of this!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:55:22 AM »
That is a pretty simple shelter. Good find.

Offline cdnshooter

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »
Army poncho + 5 bungees + 4 pegs = shelter just about anywhere.

This IS the simplest, fastest way to get basic shelter when I am cold / wet / tired / dirty / hungry / hurt.

Whether the ground is soft or frozen, this works well. Frozen ground = bungees at corners around trees / brush.

Need a little more room? suspend corners by bungees about 1 foot high from trees.

Snow or rain? Increase pitch (slant of roof).

Jungle? Rig as roof, add hamock.

Prairie? (no trees) Add sectional pole / walking staff.

Even... stretcher. Bungee patient into / on folded poncho. Use 4 pegs at corner gromets as handles for four rescuers. Add poles if you got 'em / can cut them.

Good find on the video.

Ben

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:10:16 PM »
Good video, but dang, someone needs to introduce him to the word "brevity."  A minute and a half for an intro?  Honestly, I almost stopped the video about 50 seconds into it.

In re the Army Poncho Shelter. . .I spent many, many nights under one. I even spent the extra $$ and purchased the old, Viet-Nam-style poncho which was more heavily rubberized than current-issue.  Well worth the weight and the money.

The Professor

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
Ya I kind of started listening to the music and forgot why I was watching for a monute the first time I saw it. He seems like a pretty cool guy though.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Thanks for pulling this one back up..

The Jerven is pretty nice.. and from the conversion I did.. EXPENSIVE..

Tarp or the Poncho is a easier option.. and doesn't cost as much.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »
This is a great litttle shelter. Just what I've been kidding around for my car kit.  Best of all I have all the stuff to make this: $0.00, great price.

What will those ninjas think of next? 

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »
Ya I kind of started listening to the music and forgot why I was watching for a monute the first time I saw it. He seems like a pretty cool guy though.

Norseman is one of the best men that I know. He definitely knows what he is talking about, and is a very good teacher. He is a member of this forum.

TW
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:04:06 PM by The Wilderness »

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
Great idea, but I'd forget about using a current GI poncho. They're anything but waterproof as issued, and as useful as teats on a rooster when it comes to weather protection. A $10 brown hardware store tarp would make a better shelter. Better yet, get two and use one as a ground cloth. Granted, they are heavier and bulkier, but they are larger; what price are you willing to pay for shelter?

BTW, I bookmarked this site - it looks interesting.

soupbone

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Great idea, but I'd forget about using a current GI poncho. They're anything but waterproof as issued, and as useful as teats on a rooster when it comes to weather protection. A $10 brown hardware store tarp would make a better shelter. Better yet, get two and use one as a ground cloth. Granted, they are heavier and bulkier, but they are larger; what price are you willing to pay for shelter?

BTW, I bookmarked this site - it looks interesting.

soupbone
I'm with you Soup..  but tarps make a tremendous amount of noise also..  But..  In so many cases,..and $10 tarp is easier to work with..  Shame there isn't a equal to the Jerven..  But at nearly $400 US .. way to much in cost...  Tarp it is for me..

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:11 PM »
I have been using something similar to this daily for the dog.  This basic tarp setup lets her stay outside of the weather more so she can keep an eye on the backyard. 

She looks at the dog house with disdain - unless there is a good treat in it she will never go in it.  At least if it is raining she will go under the tarp shelter for a bit.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
I think this is a great shelter and one that you can easily improvise from found materials if you found yourself in a jam.  For example, for those with knot-tying skills, there are ways to use a rope in lieu of the bungee.  As pointed out above, you can also use some additional 550-cord and make a between-the-trees shelter with a hammock in between (hammock sold separately! :) )  Alternatively, if no tree is available a hiking pole with an extra guy-wire will stand in nicely.  I guess that's one of the appeals to me - the versatility of the design - it should work in most environments through 3-seasons. 

I like the Jerven poncho, but will wait on buying one as there are many other un-met priorities in front of it in my case.  For those on a budget, as others have pointed out, hardware-store tarps can also work (use a grommet kit to add extra grommets - http://www.campmor.com/brass-grommet-kit-size-4-1-2.shtml ).

Thanked Norseman elsewhere for posting the video, but will do so again here - very informative!
-N

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
Another suggestion at a quarter of the price might be a sil-nylon shelter made by scores of other manufacturers and individuals.  I bought one of the catenary shelters made by Jacks-R-Better (no affiliation and no compensation) and spent about 12 days this year out in it.  It's light, adaptable to both ground and suspended shelters (as in a shelter covering my hammock) and I liked it so much, we swapped our standard Spring-Winter shelter for them.

They can be set up the same way as described in the video, but we prefer some other ways.

The Professor

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
Another suggestion at a quarter of the price might be a sil-nylon shelter made by scores of other manufacturers and individuals.  I bought one of the catenary shelters made by Jacks-R-Better (no affiliation and no compensation) and spent about 12 days this year out in it.  It's light, adaptable to both ground and suspended shelters (as in a shelter covering my hammock) and I liked it so much, we swapped our standard Spring-Winter shelter for them.

They can be set up the same way as described in the video, but we prefer some other ways.

The Professor

That is what I use, sil-nylon, mine is  a combo poncho tarp, but I am quite happy with it and it weights much much less than a hardware store poncho. I use mine over a bivy sack, to have some room outside the sack, and the sack keeps the bugs off me and dry even if some rain blows under the tarp. great way to make a shelter without carry a 5 pound tent.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
I have used this shelter before.  Works good.  Just make sure the opening isnt facing the wind!  I used it on a 2 week backpacking trip and I have used it in winter months for a weekend backpack.  My hiking staff makes a good upright pole when using trees are not available or not convenient.  I use a 9x9 white sportsmansguide tarp. 

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 05:38:13 AM »
I guess it's spring now, but I went out with this in February.  Temps were in the teens F.

It was cold and the ground was frozen, but I took a bunch of dried grass and made a large pile, then built the shelter on top of that.  The dried up grass insulated me from the ground and the shelter kept me warm.  I even was able to face it toward my campfire and got a lot of heat reflected in that way.  Works great!