Author Topic: Self defence for a 61 year old grandmother - further suggestions needed  (Read 3346 times)

Offline AussieNana

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I have been bothered for years that I wouldn't be able to protect myself if someone had some bad intentions. There are also increasing numbers of home invasions in our city where elderly home owners are beaten up in their own homes. I was getting old, fat, chronically unwell and unsteady on my feet. I couldn't run, or even move quickly on my feet. I live in a country that doesn't allow firearms, and carrying any knife is a criminal offence - I'm not sure how one is supposed to get a carving knife home from the shop as its an offence to carry it, though if one is 60 I guess the police would accept it was for lawful purposes - as is pepper spray or any other weapon. On top of all that I have known for years that I freeze under any sort of threat (abuse as a young child didn't help here).

I had to stop being a victim waiting to be bashed.

So as a starter I focussed on improving my health -

- A paleo type diet has lead to a loss of 15 kg (35 pounds?) and improvements in my chronic illnesses - now almost in remission.
- walking daily and now what took me at least an hour now takes 45 minutes
- I took up karate after being talked into it by my grandchildren's Sempai and that has been fantastic - a hip problem that 19 physiotherapists over 15 years in 2 countries couldn't help has improved by about 50%. I can now stand and move without feeling like I'm going to fall over. I am also practicing close up on how to have someone in my personal space and not freeze. If someone comes at me with a punch I automatically go into a blocking posture, series of blocks if necessary.
- daily meditation and contemplation about actually doing some damage to someone else - breaking through the taboos of actually hurting someone.

So now, after some 6 months of karate, I think if someone threatened me I would now be fit and agile enough to be able to run away. My karate capacity is still very limited but if someone grabbed me I have the beginnings of the ability to break a hold, to block some punches and to use fists, hands, elbows, knees, kicks etc to do some damage. Give me another 3 years and I will be even better at it.

I feel happier about the direction my ability is going but I would love any further suggestions from people. After 6 decades of living in a culture where a nanny state says I mustn't hit back at aggressors I have a lot of ground to make up.

So what else should I be focussing on? What else can I do to reduce my chances of being a victim or to do at least as much damage to them as they might do to me?

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Self defence for a 61 year old grandmother - further suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
First, congratulations on the progress you've made, and the subsequent improvement in your health.

I have two suggestions for you with regard to self-defense weapons.

First, a manrikigusari. That is a short length of steel chain with a small weight at each end. A chain about 16" long is good, and 1" steel ball bearings work well. Any welder can Tig one together in nothing flat--and would probably do it for free if he knew it was for your self defense. A welded chain with with links about 1/16" in diameter is plenty strong enough. You want the whole thing to fit neatly into one hand without being visible.

Mr. Manriki can be used to strike, block, trap, trip, and choke. It is fast, easy to use, and can be less than lethal or lethal according to your need. It also bends past a block, and that can be an unpleasant surprise for your target.

For a more restful defense that's good from up close to about 30 ft., I recommend a good-quality child's squirt-gun--loaded with household ammonia, straight out of the bottle.

One shot in the face makes pepper spay look like Kool-Aid. It won't blow back into your face, and you can be extremely accurate with it. And it's cheap. And you get lots of shots.

One good squirt in the face will put a grown man right down on the ground.

It's also an excellent defense against ANY animal attack. ( I think. I haven't tried it on African elephants, yet.)

As a long-time martial arts instructor, I recommend that older practitioners (like me!) study up on eye strikes. The Whip Hand and the Live-Long-&-Prosper Strike are especially effective. And usually unexpected.

I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
At our age we can not spend a lot of time sparring with an attacker. Our defense has to be swift and accurate. I would also recommend you practice strikes to the eyes and throat from different attacking positions. Your strikes need to be fast, accurate and remove any doubt in your attacker's mind that you are not a victim.  As soon as your instructor feels you are ready, start training with multiple attackers, say three. One thing I would say to you is once you start your attack, mean business, don't hold back. Make it very clear, especially to a man, that you mean business and that you will not hesitate to hurt or injure them.

There may be some common things that you can carry with you that may not be considered a weapon by the authorities such as a steel finger nail file. I would hate for one of these to end up in my eye or throat. Also, your car keys can be weapons. The main thing is don't appear to be a victim, walk with your head up, be aware of your surroundings and who's in it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
It is sad in today's society that the criminals have all the rights. I suggest Wasp spray. It can be owned and stored in any house hold and not interprted as a weapon. Keep it handy within arms reach, spray it in an attackers eyes, it has a long distane spray( 15 feet I think) and it will not be interpreted as keeping a weapon in  a house by a left wing liberal district attorney looking to use your case to get re elected.Besides, how many times a year do we see on the news an elderly perosn being attcaked and fighting off the attacker and it makes great news?

Offline Northernlight

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »
First of all, congratulation! Your story is an inspiration. You took matters in your own hands and decided to stop being a potential victim. That's great!

Did you ever considered owning a dog? Even the little yippy-yappy one are a big deterrent for thief . For home invaders, though, I do not think a chihuahua would cut it!

Living myself in a nanny state (Ô Canada), were ciminals have more rights than the law abibing citizen, I would advise you to inform yourself about legal matters first. That way you would learn about what is tolorated by the judges and waht will land you in jail!   

Offline AussieNana

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am feeling pleased with what I have achieved to date and am becoming more empowered to take charge of my own life.

Northernlight, we do have a dog, a medium sized staffy-kelpie-shepherd cross who looks ferocious when she barks - one we share with family next door. We have our daughter and grandchildren next door after we subdivided our lot and built two houses here. The dog has also shown its worth after she has scared away two potential burglars/home invaders. One burglar was forcing entry through a six foot gate at our daughter's place. Another some months later jumped our 6 foot fence and knocked oh so quietly on our front door to be very surprised when my husband opened it. He asked to use our phone and was getting difficult when we refused. When the dog raced out barking he was over that fence so quickly we knew he had bad intent.

Re the legal matters. In karate we are taught various punches from the surrender stance (hands up). It seems that if someone is still menacing you and getting in your space then it is permissible to push them away hard and if the heel of your hand forces their nose up into their brain or your fingers go in their eyes then that was considered to be much more accidental than if you had a closed fist as they approach. And if you "fear for your life" then anything is permissible. Even more so if you are over 60 and in your own home.

The karate I learn is very focussed at adult level on self defence, not just on gaining the various levels of belts. In fact anyone who focusses solely on grading (other than the few weeks immediately preceding) is firmly put in their place. This is about increasing one's skill level and about teaching it to others as well. Great fun and the increasing flexibility I'm getting is a bonus. Plus learning karate is about a quarter of the price of going to a  physiotherapist.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
Nana, I hope you can understand me, because I don't speak "Strine", as they do in 'Stria.  ;)

;) ;) I'm sorry to hear that your health is such that it requires you to have a cane, just in case your balance starts to go. That's a nice piece of hardwood, by the way, and I love how someone carved a snake's head in the end of the handle. With a sharp triangular head like that, it must be a poisonous snake. Didn't know they had those in Australia. And that heavy tip on the other end - you'll never wear that out.......  ;)  ;)

So what are you reading on the net? So this is on your must read list, yes?:
http://www.donrearic.com/cane1.html

Seriously, best of luck in a tough situation. I often carry a cane for an occasionally bad back, and, living in an apartment where I know my neighbors, I wouldn't want to actually seriously hurt or cripple someone because they got out of hand at a (rare) "party". At close range, a cane will allow you to use the full spectrum of force from a warning display all the way to a thrust/strike or ripping someone's groin off.

And of course, being a close range device, there's no question that your personal space was invaded, and that you were in fear of your life.....

Best of luck,

soupbone

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Since you're already enrolled in a martial arts class you could speak to the instructor about training with weapons. Ask about the use of a bo staff and escrima's. If you have a mop or broom in the house you have a bo staff. Break it in two and you have a set of escrima's.

Check into some heavy duty ink pens. Something like a Cross with a metal barrel. It could be used as a stabbing weapon.

http://www.thenerds.net/A_T_CROSS_COMPANY.Cross_Classic_Century_Lustrous_Chrome_Ballpoint_Pen.3502.html
Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road.    Voltaire

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »
As someone who's been studying and teaching martial arts, both traditional and reality-based for upwards of 35 years, I might make a couple of suggestions:

First of all, as has been already recommended, a cane.

Another suggestion would be to consider studying one of the Aiki styles that have a concentration on self-defense.  I might remind some that traditional Aikido was created by an elderly martial artist.  Granted, it does have quite a bit of basis in spirituality, which some find good, and others not so much so.

I might also suggest researching Michael Janich's Martial Blade Concepts.  It's very easy to learn and quite intuitive. It also teaches simple techniques and drills that are applicable across a wide variety of easy-to-hand weapons (from, say, a boxcutter to even a hanbo or cane).  It's based heavily upon filipino styles and I've seen people with no martial arts background become quite competent in a short period of time with weapons that are legal and easy to carry.

As with anyone's suggestions about weapons, I'd check the local laws very carefully.  As an example, the manriki-gusari is disallowed in some areas and is sort of hard to explain to responding law-enforcement agencies as well as judges, even with the "martial arts practitioner" defense.  Ditto many bladed weapons, which are frequently legislated to disallow possession of various blade lenhts, opening systems and even blade styles.

However, a much-chanted mantra by many who refuse to be a victim is "I'd rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six."

Hope it helps.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline AussieNana

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »
It isn't acceptable legally to carry any weapons here in Australia, but I'm not too worried about that at the moment as I'm aware that any weapon I carried could be easily taken from me and used against me at the moment. Now once I've had some three years training in karate it might be a different matter, but as yet I don't have the skill to hang on to canes or whatever.

I think for me one of the big things is the mental mindset. I have been brought up that violence doesn't solve anything and it will only get you into more trouble if you hit back than if you don't do anything. Now thinking that through I think it is rubbish and even more so for someone my age. I've never been in trouble with the law and don't have an anger problem so am not concerned that I'll suddenly change and go beat people up just because I can. But I have had to mentally go through various scenarios to support the idea that I can protect myself. It takes a while to talk oneself out of the no-violence training I've had.

However I am aware that I shouldn't think about karate as I drive as I drive much faster and more aggressively when I do.

Offline AussieNana

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:12 AM »
I have to tell someone. I passed my first grading in karate at the weekend. I'm quite pleased. i'm still very much a beginner but not quite the beginner 6 months ago.

Spent some time with my instructor using plastic knives. Feels odd so I need much more practice in the future, though it isn't in our usual training.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
AussieNana- I tip my hat to you. Keep going strong! I would suggest some weight lifting to improve strength and some balance training.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
 Tai Chi is a form of martial arts that elderly people can easily practice. It has slow movements, but requires balance and is good for you health. There are sword forms as well. Finding a good tai chi teacher may not be easy.

In my opinion, karate is a bit of a hard martial art, at least from my understanding (not sure about akido) I believe the philosophy of kung fu is softer and also perhaps well suited to older people because you can practice kung fu slowly and instructors do not generally discourage that as there is no prescribed speed for the most part at least for many of the forms. If I was old I would also try to work with a staff or large stick, though that tends to be taught to more advanced students.

Part of fighting I think is realizing that a fight is not simply a contest or points. Boxing matches are about points. Self defense is defending yourself in a real situation. There are no rules or referees neither for you nor the opponent. It is very important to stay relaxed. If you tense up, it effects your movements and your judgement. This is actually perhaps not at all easy as it may sound and there is a psychological component. A true warrior they say should not fear death. He would rather die than lose his honor. Unfortunately being wounded could be a gray area someplace in the middle, but as they say there are worse fates than death, again easier said than done ..

Maybe something like this book might give you an edge as well:

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Foreword
    Vital Points of the Head
    Vital Points of the Neck and Throat
    Vital Points of the Upper Trunk
    Vital Points of the Lower Trunk
    Vital Points of the Hand and Arm
    Vital Points of the Leg and Foot
    Vital Points of Pistol Shooting
    Further Reading

Legal Warning!

The self-defense techniques described in the Black Medicine books are extremely dangerous. These techniques, particularly the use of weapons, inevitably reflect the author's individual beliefs and experiences that the reader cannot duplicate exactly. Therefore, they are presented for academic study only. The author, publisher, and distributors of these books disclaim any liability from any damage or injuries of any type that a reader or user of information contained within these books may encounter from the use of said information.
Excerpts from Black Medicine, Volume 1

She has great teeth, doesn't she?

"EAR LOBE: Under certain circumstances, the ear lobe can be seized in the teeth and even torn off, severely distracting the opponent. Women can use this technique to dissuade a drunk from amorous advances." Page 22.

Sure you can use your car keys as a weapon, but how?

"FACIAL NERVE: The facial or seventh cranial nerve emerges from the skull just beneath the ear canal, from which position it branches out to supply the muscles of the face which control facial expressions. A knuckle blow to the soft spot immediately beneath the ear will bruise this nerve, producing startlingly severe pain and possibly some disorientation due to the shock to the inner ear. This point is frequently used as a "releaser," in that a coordinated attack on the left and right facial nerves will disconcert a masher or strangler sufficiently to allow his victim to escape. A gouge at this point with a yawara stick is very effective." Page 25.

Who says karate books have to have dull pictures?

"SCIATIC NERVE: The striking point is the center of the back of the thigh just below the fold of the buttocks. The largest nerve of the body, the sciatic nerve, is vulnerable at this point. The sciatic nerve gives rise to the peroneal nerve and the tibial nerve, hence a kick to the gluteal fold will interfere with muscular control of the back of the thigh and the entire lower leg and foot. The blow also produces relocated pain the abdomen as well as pain and cramping at the point of impact." Page 73.

Actually, as pictured here, this kick stands a good chance of breaking the thighbone.

In a lot of places it is illegal to carry MACE or pepper spray. Hair spray is legal to carry everywhere. As for the legality of spraying it in someone's face, that's a different story.

"EYEBALL: The layer of bone behind the eyeball which separates the eye from the brain is paper-thin, and the brain case can be penetrated at this point by a knife, pencil, or even stiffened fingers. In general, any finger poke or foreign substance in the eye will serve to distract and temporarily blind one's opponent at the very least. Permanent blindness is also quite possible." Page 16.

N. Mashiro

Copyright © 2008 by N. Mashiro. All rights reserved.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:20:51 PM by surfivor »

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 07:49:25 AM »
Another important aspect of protecting yourself is to not get into bad situations. This refers to being aware of your surroundings at all times. Do you really need to go to the grocery at 10pm in that section of town? Could you frequent another store that is in a better section during daylight hours? Are the hairs on the back of your neck standing up? Get back in your car, lock your doors, make sure your phone is within reach, have your hand on that wasp spray someone suggested you have - in other words, pay attention to your instincts. There is a good book by Gavin DeBecker called The Gift of Fear. Everyone should read it and pay attention to your instincts.

In your home, always lock your doors. This drives my husband nuts but lately all we are hearing about are home invasions and murders seems like every other day. I read a few of these stories to him and now he gets it. Keep a bat near your door and a can of hair spray or wasp spray. If yo are able, look in the driveway before going to the door when someone rings and you are not expecting visitors (do it even when you are) and be sure to ask who it is before you get near the door. If you don't know who it is grab that bat and don't open the door until YOU are comfortable with who is on the front step. Don't trust utility workers who come in your house. Supervise them, stay far enough away from them for your physical safety, and keep a phone in your hand or on your person while they are in your home. Have bats in other rooms so if you had to you could defend yourself from any room. I know this sounds paranoid but given the fact that these things are happening to people, I think it just makes sense to be prepared.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »
It is sad in today's society that the criminals have all the rights. I suggest Wasp spray. It can be owned and stored in any house hold and not interprted as a weapon. Keep it handy within arms reach, spray it in an attackers eyes, it has a long distane spray( 15 feet I think) and it will not be interpreted as keeping a weapon in  a house by a left wing liberal district attorney looking to use your case to get re elected.Besides, how many times a year do we see on the news an elderly perosn being attcaked and fighting off the attacker and it makes great news?

Mace may be illegal in some places (I don't know why), but bear spray isn't (not that I know of).  Bear spray is pepper spray that is designed to stop a bear instead of a person, so it is just more powerful.  Not that expensive either.

Offline M.U.C.T

• Prepper
  • I bring a knife to a gun Fight
    • Modern Urban Combat Tactics (M.U.C.T)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »
Hey nana great to hear that you are working so hard and really enjoying not only the training but the benfits from such... I understand that the legal system in australia is very tough but I do understand that atleast for protecting oneself at home that one can have a 22 rifle please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that that and maybe shotguns may be legal but a good little rueger 10/22 will easily stop an attacker with 2 or 3 well placed shots and being that it comes with a 10 round clip you should be able to stop him a few times..lol Also please take a look at this key chain it is really cheap and very easy to use and is most definitely legal...good luck http://www.amazon.com/Brutus-Bull-Self-Defense-Keychain/dp/B003JTF3G0
Real Violence Needs Real Solutions
http://modernurbancombattactics.blogspot.com

Offline Wild Colonial Boy

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
G'day Nan,

great to see a fellow Aussie posting on the forum and well done on the steps you have taken so far....all your hard work will definitely give you more confidence and your obviously benefiting from the extra fitness as well.  There is an Aussie section in the International part of the forum so I might see you there in the future....

For M.U.A.T, Australian firearms laws are far more restrictive than places like the 'states' but you can still buy a range of firearms in different categories. A Ruger 10/22 (being semi auto) would be a Category D licence which is tough to come by. Standard rifles and shotguns are much easier to come by.  As for using any weapon is self defence, different states have different laws but you would more likely than not get a day or 10 in court and be charged with manslaughter.  The link may explain more...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defence_(Australia)

For ttubravesrock, mace (pepperspray) is illegal for citizens to own in Australia. Only the military, law enforcement and private security have access to it.  The use of bear spray isn't an option because we don't have bears unlike you lucky guys in North America.

Hope my 2 cents worth is appreciated

Cheers
Arte et Marte - With Skill and Fighting

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

. . .snip. . .

The use of bear spray isn't an option because we don't have bears unlike you lucky guys in North America.

Hope my 2 cents worth is appreciated

Cheers

What, you boys don't have Koala Spray?

Hell, I saw that movie with the Kangaroo shooting back at the hunters. . .you have DANGEROUS animals down under.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Nana,
   I hope you are still around reading this thread. You are one cool lady. If you have the money, you may look into getting a trained personal protection animal if that is legal where you are. DO NOT fill a squirt gun with ammonia. Bad Idea. 1. Just because something isn't considered a weapon, doesn't mean that you cannot get into trouble for using it as a weapon. 2. Squirt guns are notoriously unreliable, and delicate. 3. Producing something that looks like a gun but isn't a gun is usually a really bad move in public and can result in being hurt very badly or shot and killed by police.
   Instead, and I don't know if they sell lemon and lime juice in the little plastic bulbs that look like lemons and limes, but these are pretty good for self defense from thugs and dogs.
  It's perfectly explainable if you are questioned about carrying it, you can say you like to put it in your tea, coffee, water, salad what have you. It fits in the hand and is easy to use. You could pour the juice into a water gun but it could leak, which is also why I don't reccomend the amonia route. Ammonia would work as well as bleach too but the possible problem and consequences are too much to deal with. If lemon juice isn't sold in OZ in this fashion, let me know, we have it cheap here and I could send you a few.
   I have to advise against the manriki chain not because its inneffective but because she may not have the strength or speed to use or deploy it quickly. Also, one of the favorite things for legislators to ban is martial arts weapons becuase not many people actually carry or use them and don't care so they can pass those laws easily and use it to show how they are serving the public and saving lives.
    So its probably illegal already. Maybe not, but there are better options for her.
  They make self defense umbrellas that aren't super expensive and can be used for thrusting and clubbing. An in austrailia, you can be carrying it because its raining or as a sun shade and if its night you are simply using it as a walking aid.
   Never underestimate the benefit of a loud personal alarm, it could scare someone off and draw attention to you if you need it.
    You could increase the effectiveness of your punches by using lead filled gloves, though I'm sure they are illegal there but probably available and hard to detect visually unless you know what the look like and happen to be looking close enough to tell. You could cut the tops of the fingers off and say they are medical devices for treating arthritis.
    If you can wear steel toed boots or shoes safely and comfortably, they make a great force multiplier for your kicks. Not only are they hard but the are heavy and increase the impact of your kicks and protect your feet from impact well. If you can't have the lead gloves, look into the aerobic wrist weights, these are heavy and even at just a pound, they add thud to your punch. It would be hard to get in trouble for carrying or using these because you could be actively engaged in exercise by walking and they just happened to get knocked out by them when the attacked you. 
   There are weapons all around us ready for the using if only we look and think. If you have long hair you could wear it up using the long hair sticks (kind of like long chopsticks) and if you had some that were sturdy enough, jabbing with them could change someone's mind about trying to mug the helpless old lady. Also a hard item to get in trouble with.
  Nana, good for you for taking responsibility for defending yourself, pm me if you need some lemon juice, I will send you some. If you ever come to the US, ring ahead and I will clear some time to be your body guard.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Just saw this and I know its a pretty old thread... hope the OP is doing well.

I would highly suggest making some serious home security improvements and getting a dog or two. Situational awareness and physical fitness to run away will resolve (for all intent and purposes) all situations outside the house.

If improvised weapons are your thing then thats cool....but some of these things sound like an absolutely horrible idea for the OP's situation. 

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
Yeah livinitup, I agree getting away is the best idea. IF you can. Someone like me, I'm not in the best shape for running away from someone smaller than me. I'm kind a like cheetah, I can go real fast but not very long and when I stop running, I am done. So more than likely, I would have to stand my ground. It sounds like this lady is preparing for either situation. And honestly, she may have to use a weapon to create an opening and opertunity to run away. I agree a good well trained dog or two could be a good option but it strenght is an issue, they may prove to be a problem to control if they get over excited. Even the most well trained dog she is likely to be able to get could spaz out in some situations. Sounds like she might have trouble holding a strong dog back.
     And where she lives, its not impossible for her to end up in trouble if her loyal companion chewed on some dirtbag trying mug her. Its that kind of world sometimes. Its not a reason not to get one but it is something to think about in breed selection such as a large lab over a doberman or rot.
   Its all situational and the only best solution is if she had a couple strapping grandsons that could escort her around. But she is doing a great job of makin it on her own. I was just trying to give her some options she might not have thought of. Hope she is still reading.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 03:05:26 AM »
AussieNana,

If you're still reading this, I'd like to lend some suggestions as well.  I'd definitely recommend looking into Aikido very seriously.  It was the first martial art I ever took, and I trained in it the longest.  You will be amazed at what a skilled Aikidoka (practitioner of Aikido) can do.  Google some videos and watch high level "dan's" against multiple attackers with weapons.  Many of these men are elderly, but they have also been doing this for years.  It is indeed my first choice for a self-defense art, and is well suited for almost all ages and abilities.  It should lend credibility to you to know that I have been asked by other martial artists which arts I've trained in.  These people come from many backgrounds (kickboxing, Silat, Krav Maga, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, etc.), and when I get to mentioning Aikido as one of the arts, they quickly decide they'd rather not spar (although up to that point they were eager).  They aren't too keen on being thrown, having arms/shoulders/elbows broken or dislocated, or letting me make finger puppets with their hands.

An interesting article/history of Aikido:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

As a starting place for your "weapon" selection, I'd steer you to a couple PROVEN and effective weapons that would most certainly not be legally incriminating.  First is the kubotan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

You can state that it is part of your key ring and "a loving child/grandchild gave it to you to use to break your car window in case of submersion/emergency", or some other likely story.  These are very effective for adding some "Get away from me!" to your strikes.  I'd personally recommend one more like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Defense-Keychain-Kubotan-Aluminum/dp/B009BZY36C/ref=sr_1_82?ie=UTF8&qid=1353487483&sr=8-82&keywords=kubotan

I'd stay away from this type:

http://www.amazon.com/AK-Night-Ninja-Keychain/dp/B0034ZZ3D2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1353487570&sr=8-11&keywords=kubotan

I'd stay away from the above type, as it's more difficult to get out of a pocket, and may result in you damaging your fingers in a strike.  You should also stay away from any of the "Tactical Pens", "Hidden Knife Pens", or any of the other products that are specifically marketed as weapons.  You can come up with all kinds of reasons why you have that normal looking kubotan.  Maybe it's for crushing your pills?  As you advance in arts like Aikido, the kubotan can be used for devastating controls on attackers.  Until then, it can turn a hammer fist punch into a fight stopper.

You may also want to pursue the Eskrima martial art, as was mentioned before.  Sometimes erroneously called "Filipino Stick Fighting" (which is Balintawak Eskrima).  Modern Arnis or Eskrima trains in more than just stick fighting.  However, the "stick fighting" is extremely effective, and you might "just happen" to have a couple escrima sticks behind your door.  Who knows?

For security I would definitely put a loud alarm on each entry door, as well as an inexpensive camera system in.  The addition of an intercom would go a long way as well.  These are all deterrents, but no deterrent will stop a determined criminal.  Keep on developing your martial arts skills.  I applaud you and wish you the best!

Hope this helps, and sorry for the length!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Lucid

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:20 AM »
Hi Nan,  as another fellow aussie can I assure you that owning a pistol is NOT illegal.  Go join a pistol club, visit 4 times in 6 months and then you can apply for your first gun.  By that time you will have more shooting training than a rookie policeman has.  Keep training.  Get your karate teacher to train you to bypass your freezing problem. 
If you intend to carry your pistol concealed the DON'T tell anyone during your training or ever!  Tell them you were attracted to guns a a sport and nothing more.  I would very much doubt that a policeman would search a 61 year old woman for a concealed weapon so don't give them any reason to.  When out and about act as though you are unarmed meaning lock your locks, avoid the dark parking areas etc.  When you need to act you will not look like you were baiting scum so you can shoot them.
At home if you have your cleaning gear out then when the police come and see you have blown a perp away you can say that you were cleaning your gun when the perp broke in and you were just lucky that when the break in occurred that you had just finished cleaning your gun.  When you are sick or injured then karate may not be as useful as being able to line up the sights and squeeze.
Hope to see you on the range! (all these comments are meant as possibilities and are not in any way professional legal advice)

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »
Liucid,
   Geat advice. I'm sorry where you have to have a bs excuse to defend yourself against an attacker/invader. "That way you don't look like you were baiting a scumbag into attacking you so you could shoot them." I'm sorry the polkice's first concern is for the dirt bags. You gave her good advice though. Hope this helps her.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
AussieNana,

For home defense do what ever you have to do to get a .22 or a 12 gauge shotgun.  During a violent encounter you are playing a game with younger, stronger, more agile, and more experienced opponents.  You can not possibly win hand to hand against a determined attacker.  You need something that take away all those advantages, and that is a gun. 

Best of luck. 

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Mark,
    That's great advice. I have no problem with the logic of it. Almost. She has already spoken of physical issues and at her age, she may have arthritis and holding or relabily using a gun especially the cannon that a 12ga is, even if it were legal, may be prohibitive. Also if I believe, I OZ, I believe that even if one is allowed to own a fire arm, the required storage and security requirements are not home defense friendly. I think a gun has to be stripped to its componnent parts with magazines unloaded, and ammo stored and loxked seperately. I could be wrong or outdated on that information though. I am not disagreeing with you at all, Mark, if she can get either by hook or crook, and use a firearm, it puts her at a serious advantage over not having one.
    That being said, I am going to suggest some other measures she may be able to take to keep her home safe.
  Nana,
   There is a product called door sentry, look it up on the internet. It theoretically increases your doors resistance to breaking from kicking and battering. Get the strongest most secure door you can afford. Get one for every exterior door you have and get on for your room. Maybe even one for the loo. Install a door sentry on all of those doors even the interior ones and put a deadbolt on them. They also make a product similar to THE CLUB for house doors. You can use that to secure your doors. Does this mean that no one could get through? No. But it will slow them the hell down long enough for you call for help and pick up a cricket bat and whack them if you need to. Windows are just about as easy and I will leave it to you to look that up. And if money is a problem, look on you tube for improvised ways to add security to your living space. There are solutions, and you are going the right direction ma'am, if you need or want more suggestions, pm me or respond here.
Fear is the mind killer.