Author Topic: The family that actually works and pays their debts are now news worthy.  (Read 4150 times)

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
KSTP news story

It is kinda amazing that a family that is working hard and doing the right thing makes the news. I guess it is a reflection of how far removed our nation is from its problems.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: The family that actually works and pays their debts are now news worthy.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »
the article tone is 'this is incredible, someone actually worked'...  damn shame this is newsworthy

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
Well... I am glad this made it into the news... hopefully it will inspire others to make changes as well. It is amazing that this story seems so unbelievable to the newscasters... Stories like this one are on the radio every day with Dave Ramsey.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Yep, sad that this is unusual.  I think that it is newsworthy now because most of the population is not willing to work this hard.

amanadoo

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
I understand that they probably just wrote this in advance of the documentary they mentioned...but this article made me feel weird.  I can't put my finger on why. On one hand, I was saddened both by their son's illness and a mother of almost-4 never being home to be with her kids. And then I thought it was odd that this is news-worthy. I dunno...weird article.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
As a mother of 3, screw the house, screw the car payment, I would live with my kids in my parents' basement if I had to in order to be there for my dying child. What if, God forbid, the child hadn't gotten better? Had died? I could not live with myself thinking that my child needed me and I was out working for the all mighty dollar.

Of course, the article didn't say what the life-threatening illness was. It could have been something like pneumonia that comes and goes, or it could have been an illness like cancer.

I still don't feel it is appropriate for the mother to be out working like that when she has children to take care of. Call me old-fashioned I guess, but I don't find that admirable at all. Kudos to the dad though for hustling his butt to help his family.

amanadoo

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

I still don't feel it is appropriate for the mother to be out working like that when she has children to take care of. Call me old-fashioned I guess, but I don't find that admirable at all. Kudos to the dad though for hustling his butt to help his family.

YEAH, that's it. Mixed feelings. On one hand, the work's got to be done. The money's got to be made. On another...leaving at 7am and coming home at 11pm, pregnant, every night with three kids at home...one of whom was very ill? Maybe they were older teens or something I can't relate to yet? I think the choices they made are just too foreign to me. I am not judging them, I just can't relate. I am also assuming they could not sell their house and hop into a double-wide or a temporary place of some sort.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
Honestly, the bank could take my house before I would leave a sick kid.

I'm sure the article left a lot out about their situation, though.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
The good idea I got was - 2 years paid off the major bills
they figured out what there budget should be
and until the house is paid off keeping the 2nd / 3rd jobs

getting to that level of debt was the sad part

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:17 AM »
Yeah, I would say screw it and file for bankruptcy before I left my sick child like she did. Nonetheless, it is impressive.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
I kind of took it as getting rid of your debit is possible if you are willing to work.  How much debit they had 123k  and that did not include their mortgage.  Wow.  They didn't bail on their financial obligations and ask for someone else to bail them out.  The learned what wants vs need really meant.  Plus they were able to come up with the 30k that they needed to get the treatment their son needed. 

I also took it as an advertisement for the documentary and new book.  Many people in debit wonder how to get out and some just don't think about getting more jobs.  Some yes are lazy but some really are so far stressed they can't see the forest through the trees.  Get a second job oh duh.  Some are so far in debit that they just don't realize how powerful just a nickel can be. 

The saddest thing is how far people get into debit.  They did it without thinking about the out come.  For a while I think a good part of the country was on a spending spree high.  Now people are having to deal with the hang over. 

I have also read articles where people get out of debit but they make over 100k per year. The response from most people was well of course they could get out of debit they make tons of money.  We can't because we only make XYZ$$.  These people are saying BS yes any one can get out of debit if you are willing to do what it takes consistently until it's gone.