Author Topic: Sheriff encouraging concealed carry (from 11-1-11 show)  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
Sheriff encouraging concealed carry (from 11-1-11 show)
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
This guy is awesome http://www.wyff4.com/r/29638219/detail.html but that's not why I started this thread.

Check out some of the comments. The general consensus is positive and I know the folks mean well but it is glaringly obvious how many people think Hollywood is reality:

My one and only problem with this is with 5 rounds fired, the thug survived. If a person is going to carry, they need to practice. Train for the head shot at distances from 5 yards to 25 yards.

shoot em in the leg first !, lol dont neccessarily want to kill them,unless they don't understand a warning shot

I knew several police officers in CA. The one thing they said made a lot of sense. Take out a knee cap - it will stop anyone and they won't be running around anymore if they do get back out on the streets, plus you haven't killed anyone.

and it goes on and on.

Very few people understand stress / fast moving body parts / cognitive ability under stress, etc... thoughts?

inbox485

Re: Sheriff encouraging concealed carry (from 11-1-11 show)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:36:11 PM »
Those sorts of comments are so painful to read, I feel like I'd be trying to polish crap off rocks inside a sewage processing tank. The typical intelligence of fully uncensored comment boards (like YT and most news outlets) lays bare just how excruciatingly ignorant, yet loud mouthed people have become. I don't mind chiming in on forums where facts trump keystroke counts, but I gave up on things like that years ago.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Several good things here - first I agree with that sheriff that every law abiding citizen should conceal carry a gun especially women. Not long ago at a NRA fund raiser our sheriff personally asked us all to please conceal carry.  He absolutely believes in it and so do I.

I also agree that many of the comments about how to take out a bad guy were, shall we say, a bit dramatic but I believe with the right training and practice you could win over the situation and beat the bad guy.  Am I 100% positive that I would win? No but I would do my best because my life (or a loved ones) may depend on it.

And last, the one thing I think hasn't been mentioned is when you conceal carry you are definitely more aware of your surroundings. You watch for the bad guy potential. You project a different picture - you're not a waiting victim and I think these above all give you an edge.   
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »
Spartanburg, SC

Not too far from my home town.

Glad to hear they haven't lost their kick.

:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
<SNIP SNIP>
And last, the one thing I think hasn't been mentioned is when you conceal carry you are definitely more aware of your surroundings. You watch for the bad guy potential. You project a different picture - you're not a waiting victim and I think these above all give you an edge.

+1

Never thought about that before.  I scan alot anyway, but when I can be armed I do it constantly, and am more aware of people in "my personal area" around me.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:39 PM »

This.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »

Absolutely agree with that. I find myself watching more, making eye contact with people, and am more conscientious of how I carry myself in public when I'm carrying.
Stay strong everyone. 

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »
Absolutely agree with that. I find myself watching more, making eye contact with people, and am more conscientious of how I carry myself in public when I'm carrying.
Stay strong everyone.

Heck, I do this when I'm just carrying a decently sized knife. Can't carry in the state of Illinois   :'(

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:14 AM »
I especially have been watching my surroundings these days as the holidays get near. It seems like the more I look the more I see "lurkers" in the parking lots of the shopping centers.  I watch them as they watch me.

I have been playing scenarios in my mind as to what I would do if confronted so I have a sort of plan.  I don't expect that an attack would play out just like in my head but I am trying to think of what I'd do so I won't panic. 

BassManNate - a knife is better than nothing - but darling no offense intended, I'd have to move outta Illinois.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Online ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
I have been playing scenarios in my mind as to what I would do if confronted so I have a sort of plan. 
Excellent!
I have probably been in acouple hundred shoot outs in my mind over the years. Always trying to plan for the next senerio so I know how to react to win.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
I especially have been watching my surroundings these days as the holidays get near. It seems like the more I look the more I see "lurkers" in the parking lots of the shopping centers.  I watch them as they watch me.

I have been playing scenarios in my mind as to what I would do if confronted so I have a sort of plan.  I don't expect that an attack would play out just like in my head but I am trying to think of what I'd do so I won't panic. 

BassManNate - a knife is better than nothing - but darling no offense intended, I'd have to move outta Illinois.

Yeah, the problem with moving out of Illinois is that my wife's parents live here. Heck, they're less than a mile away. I guess the best we can do is keep hounding the politicians until they allow us to carry. Although, the governor has already said that he's perfectly fine with Illinois being the only state with no kind of carry laws.

Knives on the other hand have no laws that really prohibit carry. It states that you cannot carry a knife longer than 3 inches with the intent to use it unlawfully. Then it goes on to cite how in one instance a walking cane was grouped together with deadly weapons like guns. So, the law is extremely vague in that respect.

Offline newsur

• Prepper
  • WE THE PEOPLE
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
  I Dont have a License To Carry a Gun So I Carry A StunGun That Looks Like A CellPhone.  Got 1 For My Lil Sis Too.
"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think."--Adolph Hitler