Author Topic: iPad/iPod/iPhone for Storage inventory  (Read 10099 times)

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
iPad/iPod/iPhone for Storage inventory
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
I'm trying out an app called "Food Storage" on my iPad 2.   So far... eh.

Its a basic database app, but the best feature is the use of the camera as a barcode reader... if it worked.

Maybe someone else has gotten it to work, so far I've been unable to read anything.  If I have to hand enter all my info (again, currently I use excel) I'm not doing it.

What I want, is to scan a bar code to ADD to the inventory or to USE from inventory.  I should probably try and do this with my current Excel app and a low end Cuecat barcode scanner.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: iPad/iPod/iPhone for Storage inventory
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
Here is a website to look up UPC-A values... it worked on several food items.

http://www.upcdatabase.com/

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
I have that app on my iPod Touch 4Gen. The barcode/camera feature works about 5% of the time. Lighting is crucial...which is a challenge with basement storage. Personally, I would like a dedicated laser scanner and netbook for inventory.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »
Some of the places I was looking today noted that people are using bluetooth scanners.  I'll probably just get a cheap USB scanner for the PC which is sitting next to the stores, and do it that way.  The iPad would be cool, but so far the functionality I need isn't there.

I'll play with the lighting.  Maybe a dedicated light?  It can't be hard else it won't be done.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »
This would be cool if it could be implemented with the app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-iqzH4a550

To me, the only real advantage I see with the iPad (or iPod Touch) for this SPECIFIC need is it's instant on feature. As with any solution, if it's not easy to start and use, you won't use it. Sure you could use a dedicated PC, but if you leave it on, you're using up electricity.

Offline Giantfrog

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »
There is also an app called Prep & Pantry available for the iPhone.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »

Do you have it? How does it work? I spent part of Thanksgiving weekend cleaning and reorganizing my pantry. After finding some cans of fruit cocktail with a 2003 expiration date that had gotten pushed back into a corner and forgotten I realized I need some sort of inventory system.  :-\

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
I don't get it. The Food Storage app has great features, but it's can't scan barcodes worth a damn. Yet the Amazon Price Check and RL Laser app work flawlessly using the built-in camera as a barcode scanner. WTF?! I hope the Food Storage developers get it together. Their app has great potential.

Offline TooCaffeinated

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »
I am thinking of building my own database for food storage using FileMaker.  It would work on an iPad/phone.  What features would you want in the ideal app?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
I am thinking of building my own database for food storage using FileMaker.  It would work on an iPad/phone.  What features would you want in the ideal app?

Would that be exportable, or limited to storage within the iPhone/iPad?

~TG

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

I used this for awhile. Half of the barcodes were wrong, and it ended up being too much hand entered data to mess with. Currently I am using a list taped to the top of the freezer (or near whatever group of foods is inventoried) that I take a picture of before I go shopping (so I can quick reference in the store if needed).

Offline TooCaffeinated

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
@texasgirl - it would be exportable.  I could set up a text by email or you could access on your pc or Mac if you buy FileMaker.

@cheryl1 - sometimes the simplest solution is the best.  Sounds like bar code scanning feature isn't worth the trouble unless it works perfect or near perfect.  The problem with bar codes is that there isn't some big database in the sky with all the bar codes.   I was thinking that entering your items might not be a problem because you probably don't have that many items in your storage pantry.  I could be wrong, however.

Some features I was thing about would be a simple calorie counter so that you could easily see how many days of food you have by calories anyway.   Also if you entered the costs of the items you could get the $ per calorie.  I thought that MIT be useful when making decisions about what to buy.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »

I actually just found this app and started a thread about it here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=38093.0

I am just starting but already loving it. seems that some of the problems it had in the past have been worked on. All database dependent apps usually need time to build the database through the users. If you have ever used a food logging program to track your daily intake you will know what I mean. The scanner works good but not all bar codes are in it.

I really like that my husband and I can share our list and it will automatically create a shopping list if you keep your inventory up to date and set your minimums. I also like that I can take a picture of the item I actually buy so my husband knows exactly which one I want picked up from the store!

Offline TooCaffeinated

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
FrugalFannie,

This app sounds pretty cool.  Does it give you the option to create some statistics based on your food storage?  My wife and I are wanting to store food, but she isn't a store-what-you-eat type.  She would rather have lots of longer term storage.  For me, I would like to do a little of both, however, know what we have and where we are deficient is my concern.  I think that tracking expiration dates would also be necessary for the long-term storage approach.  Also, I think that an option where you could create what-if scenarios would be helpful.  IE What if we need to take care of my parents-in-law?

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
FrugalFannie,

This app sounds pretty cool.  Does it give you the option to create some statistics based on your food storage?  My wife and I are wanting to store food, but she isn't a store-what-you-eat type.  She would rather have lots of longer term storage.  For me, I would like to do a little of both, however, know what we have and where we are deficient is my concern.  I think that tracking expiration dates would also be necessary for the long-term storage approach.  Also, I think that an option where you could create what-if scenarios would be helpful.  IE What if we need to take care of my parents-in-law?

It does not give you anything you can do with the info.There is a database 'function' but so far I have been unable to get it to work and so not sure what I could do if it did work. I would like to be able to set a field that allows me to input number of servings and some other things. Example: If I knew I had 360 dinners I could input the number of family members and see how many days/weeks/months we have. This would be useful to run a what if scenario (in-laws show up, you trade 10 dinners, etc).

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 01:07:31 AM »
Try putting a small led light on the bottom of the ipad. I built one from my  7 year old kid's electronics bin. It is just a bunch of old battery, small motors, gears, screws, speakers, any old part of something he can take apart. It has a few advaced things like my old small solar panels (some taken from old calculators). Dang, that kid is smart :P .

3   years ago, while developing a pilot POS (Ipad cash register) solution for a big box store. I have found that scanning with ipad blocks too much light, where as scanning with my iphone\ipod touch does not block the light. I rigged up a 1 white led with 1 button battery tapped with a simple switch was enough to light up a bar code. There was an $90 case that has 3 LEDs that lit when the camera was on. We ordered several, but they did not arrive in time for the pilot. Mine was secret and free, work smart, work fast, not hard.

I just used double sided tape, 1 battery, and 1 led. I bent the LED wire out a little to make the "switch", kinda like this but with tape. I used it everyday for months, and never changed the battery (or told anyone how I was able to test so fast).

I did quite a bit of testing on the touch, as it did not block as much light. So, you could scan with your iphone, and sync with your ipad (that is what many thought I did.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
I was able to get the inventory report emailed to me.I opened it in excel. Unfortunately the fields are all mushed together instead of being seperated into columns ("Barcode   Name   Description   Tags   Coupon   MinQty   Qty   Location   Exp_year   Exp_month   Exp_day   RawExp" all in one column)
It actually dumped the info into about 5 columns.  The data in this for is useless. I will keep using the app as it is the best I have right now.

Offline TooCaffeinated

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
I was able to get the inventory report emailed to me.I opened it in excel. Unfortunately the fields are all mushed together instead of being seperated into columns ("Barcode   Name   Description   Tags   Coupon   MinQty   Qty   Location   Exp_year   Exp_month   Exp_day   RawExp" all in one column)
It actually dumped the info into about 5 columns.  The data in this for is useless. I will keep using the app as it is the best I have right now.

Try opening excel then opening the file from within excel.  To find the file you will need change the file type filter to "all files".  I've found that Excel will automatically recognize that it needs to parse the text file.  You will probably need to identify the column width or delimiter (a character which identifies a new column within a line).  Looks like from your example it is tab delimited.