Author Topic: Kombucha  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
Kombucha
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
http://lifehacker.com/5856755/kombucha-is-a-fermented-mildly+alcoholic-beverage-based-on-sweetened-tea

Here's something I just rediscovered.

Kombucha has grown in popularity over the past few years around the same time as kefir and probiotically-augmented yogurts. Like yogurt, kefir, and sourdough bread it requires a starter culture which is added to black or green sweetened tea. The result is a tart, fizzy drink (0.5% ABV) that tastes a little like apple cider and is touted by many for health benefits.

I remember my mom was into something like this for a bit. I remember she had a "vinegar mother" brewing on the steps to the attic and every now and then she'd make us take a drink. I seem to recall it tasted funky, but I think it would be different to me now.

Anyone ever make this regularly? What are your thoughts, tips and tricks?

Thox Spuddy

Re: Kombucha
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »
Never heard of it, I'm going to try it. Kefir is incredibly expensive.

Offline mommy2jj

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
Ok this is something I always have brewing in my house.  It tastes like a fizzy tea.  You can do a second ferment with fruit and then it will be fruit flavored.

You don't have to order a scoby either.  Find someone willing to share because they multipy quickly or just buy a bottle of raw kombucha from any store and leave it out until there is one floating on top, then make your tea.

As far as kefir don't buy the stuff in the store.  The store has too much sugar in it.  Get the grains and you will have a new batch every 24 hrs or less.  Easy too, just need a glass jar and a lid add milk and grains.....strain...done!

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
As far as kefir don't buy the stuff in the store.  The store has too much sugar in it.  Get the grains and you will have a new batch every 24 hrs or less.  Easy too, just need a glass jar and a lid add milk and grains.....strain...done!

I buy plain unsweetened kefir, 16oz for $3+. Two a month. I don't consume anything with sugar in it, I hate the stuff.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
OK, I'd like to get this thread going again. Any of you brewing kombucha? I just put my first batch in the fridge and I'll try one tomorrow. I did a gallon and got 6 16 ounce bottles (3 plain, 3 raspberry) and kept enough to keep my scoby going for the next batch. The process couldn't be easier. Make sweetened tea and toss in the scoby. Wait two weeks and bottle. Add desired flavors to the bottles.

I love kombucha but haven't been drinking it due to the price tag. But any homebrewer is already set up to make plenty for pennies a bottle. Feels good to pick up a new skill as well.

Anybody else making kombucha or thinking about it? I'd love to get some other opinions.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline helper106

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
I've been making it for 6 months now, very easy.

I leave mine 9 days, then brew tea switch the "mother" over with a cup of the previous batch.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »
My friend makes the BEST Kombucha ever (I like her Pineapple one the best). I hate many commercial brands. Failing to be near my friend's kitchen, I started drinking "Brand A" at the store, which I actually liked after going through a few brands. I drank a bottle a day there for around 8 days, with a day off in the middle somewhere...

Then around the 12th day after starting to drink Kombucha, I thought I might have Giardia from something. I was horribly ill with gastric distress. Like SERIOUS Gastric distress... The only thing I could figure out was it was the Kombucha. I quit drinking it.. and 2 weeks after I felt normal again,  I drank 1/3 of a bottle of Booch to see if there was an issue. And yeppers... I was ill again. This is a commercial brand, not homemade. I googled Gastric Distress and Kombucha, and yep.. there are actually a few people who cannot drink it, and I seem to be one of those people. I lost 12 pounds in 9 days from being ill.

So if you start making or drinking this stuff, a head's up that you might get issues from it. I might get brave and only drink my friend's concoctions of it, but I am not ready to test it out yet.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:35:59 AM »
Just sitting down to my first bottle. Wow, this stuff is delicious. I'm sampling a bottle I finished with a handful of raspberries and what a flavor it has. Definitely better (fresher?) than the commercial stuff.

Even if you ignore the health benefits which get a little woo-woo for me it's still an amazing product. And something that tastes good between coffee and beer. I struggle as a person who dislikes soda and wears out on tea so another option is welcome.

The pineapple idea sounds great, I'll add that to my list.

Well worth a try if you're interested.
The rotation of the earth really makes my day.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Brew Dr. Kombucha is my families favorite.  The 'spiced apple' is the one I like the best.  Haven't had any homemade yet, mine or someone else's, but looking forward to trying it someday.

A friend of my wife's makes both Kombucha and kefir.  She swears that kefir has saved her life and is religious about making it fresh every day.