Author Topic: Commercially Packaged Longterm Food Storage Companies  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Commercially Packaged Longterm Food Storage Companies
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:30:15 AM »
I don't need to tell you folks about how many companies are selling emergency food.  They are stumbling over each other for your dollar.  I am in the market for some of the goods they are harking but it's quite a task to decide what and where to buy without sampling everyones food, which is expensive and time consuming.  Though not as expensive as buying 6 months or a years worth of food you don't like it's still a daunting task. I have tried a few.  Mountain House sent me straight to the outhouse.  >:(  I just ordered some samples from My Patriot Supply and Valley Food Storage I will be trying. 

Just so you know, I have canned my own food to a degree.  I also "copy can".  I also have cases of #10 cans from LDS which is great for a larger group.  For a couple of people it makes no sense to open a #10 can of Spaghetti unless thats all you have. So now I'm looking for vendors that pack in smaller serving resealable bags.  I'm trying to extend my food stores in more reasonable size packages that are light, portable, resealable and of course taste good too.

Does anyone know of a website or YT vid where someone has reviewed some of the long term food vendors?

AND THE ALL IMPORTANT MOST RELIABLE INFORMATION:
Any personal experience with a vendor that you have tried that you like?

Thanks all, I look for to your responses.
FF

d3nni5

Re: Commercially Packaged Longterm Food Storage Companies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »

There was a blog posted in some thread on the forum where a lady lived for a month on emergency food.    I hope others remember what it was called and can post it here for you.   I can't find it.    I don't remember why she did it, but it may help you make a choice.

Anyone out there remember where this was posted?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
Do a forum search on the various brands.  I know there was a thread about Augason Farms somewhere
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22553.msg246428#msg246428

d3nni5

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
There was a blog posted in some thread on the forum where a lady lived for a month on emergency food.    I hope others remember what it was called and can post it here for you.   I can't find it.    I don't remember why she did it, but it may help you make a choice.

Anyone out there remember where this was posted?

Found it.  She ate a " Premium Kit Valley Food Storage ".    Read that.   It may help you decide.

http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/what-i-learned-living-off-a-30-day-emergency-supply-of-food/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 08:05:02 AM »
Most are pretty basic...get a well equipped spice rack.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
Thanks everyone.  This helped.  Since I started this thread I found this.
FF

http://www.foodstoragereviewer.com/product-reviews/

Offline britexport

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
I know this is an older thread so not sure if you got your answers. What I do is buy the #10 cans and then store in mylar bags that zip close and have oxygen absorbers added. Plus usually they say once opened food will last a year. Augason, Food4Patriots, Emergency Essentials are 3 I have bought from that offer pouches (Food4Patriot only does pouches) as well as cans or buckets. Since I do not like all the crap they put in their food (modified corn anything, hydrolized anything, and other bad ingredients) I started building my own buckets of pouches of individual ingredients to make our own food. That way I can control what we have. E.g. I buy wheat grain that we can mill as we need it, rather than buying flour or bread mix.  Wise and Mountain house are two more that sell pouches, and all much of a muchness in my view.  I've also bought some bulk ingredients from preparetheway.com because they do non GMO ingredients.  Better than some, still not perfect.

Hope this helps

Offline Fancypet

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
I bought the Food for Patriots 3 month supply to have as back up. I bought 1 month supply for my son. We have tried at least 1 of everything and so far like about 2/3rds of the meals. I also buy online and from sport or camping  stores similar meals from other companies to try and compare. Since my husband is meat and potatoes type guy most are useless to him. I told him he would eat what ever we had if he gets hungry enough.

Offline Here Again

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
I have found that I can do better by drying my own foods.  From those home dried foods (I have a dehydrator) I then make up my own meals in a jar that we can add water to later and make.  Yesterday I put up 12 jars that way......beef stroganoff, beef and potato soup, chili, and brownies.  Okay, the brownies didn't have anything I dried in it....but I still made them up.  Pennies on the dollar compared to pre-made.  I have had them last in the cupboard for more then 3 yrs without any difficulty.

And before you ask, yes, I dry beef (google hamburger rocks) , make my own instant beans and instant rice, etc.  I don't do chucked meats, so I would have to buy those. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
I have found that I can do better by drying my own foods.  From those home dried foods (I have a dehydrator) I then make up my own meals in a jar that we can add water to later and make.  Yesterday I put up 12 jars that way......beef stroganoff, beef and potato soup, chili, and brownies.  Okay, the brownies didn't have anything I dried in it....but I still made them up.  Pennies on the dollar compared to pre-made.  I have had them last in the cupboard for more then 3 yrs without any difficulty.

And before you ask, yes, I dry beef (google hamburger rocks) , make my own instant beans and instant rice, etc.  I don't do chucked meats, so I would have to buy those.

Here is some KARMA for your popcorn.   :popcorn:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
To the OP, we've been buying Augason Farms through Walmart. (Cheaper than from AF).
Perfectly happy with what we've used.
Buckets wheat
Buckets Oats
Potato soup mix
Cheesy brockley soup mix
Butter

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 03:59:51 AM »
To the OP, we've been buying Augason Farms through Walmart. (Cheaper than from AF).
Perfectly happy with what we've used.
Buckets wheat
Buckets Oats
Potato soup mix
Cheesy brockley soup mix
Butter

I got pallet quantities of AUGASON when first stocking the BOL and suggest getting extra HOT SAUCE, spices ,cheeses and milk ,at least as it is kind of bland

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »
Copy that. We've been kinda working on the extras

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:57:37 PM »

would you post your recipes of what you put in the jars for your dried foods recipes ? On a new thread so it can be found ?

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:19:21 PM »
Here's a review company I found.  Don't know much about them though... http://wessonresearch.org/?gclid=COb4ma608tACFUtNfgod5ncD6w