Author Topic: Which two tools would you take  (Read 20349 times)

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
Re: Which two tools would you take
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »
ESEE 3 fixed blade knife and a bic lighter. Although, my ESEE Junglas should be here literally any minute. I may go with that after playing with it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:32:41 PM by Gray Ghost »
"If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"
-Unknown

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »
My short answer: having only two tools would ensure failure.

My real answer: five tools - knife, fire starter, cord, water bottle, metal cup = food/protection, fire, shelter, water

Living is simple; life is complicated.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
My short answer: having only two tools would ensure failure.

My real answer: five tools - knife, fire starter, cord, water bottle, metal cup = food/protection, fire, shelter, water

Throw in a contractor's garbage bag, small first aid kit and some snacks - that's the loadout in my hunting bag. The very basics I would want in case I had to spend an unexpected night in the woods.

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »
Wow, +1 and thanks to Sister Wolf for turning me on to Trace Rinaldi knives. 

I'm not too familiar with custom blades other than I know that almost all are out of my price range.  As I read through the responses, I checked out the different blades and their makers.  Which led me to find the Trace Rinaldi Armageddon! 

WOW what a great looking blade.  The second blade pictured is the TOPS version.  So while I know that I'll likely never be able to afford an original Rinaldi, I can get the next best thing.

As I researched the blade, I found that Ron Hood had used and reviewed the Armageddon.  A link to his review is here -->  http://www.survival.com/trace.htm  Ron says its great and he seems like someone who knows a good knife.  Actually, I just recently saw Ron Hood in the Nutnfancy review of Buck knives at shot show.  In the interview, he unveils a new Ron Hood designed Buck knife, the Hoodlum.  These two knives look very similar to me.  It looks as if Ron may have taken some inspiration from the Armageddon when designing his blade.

I'm going to look further into how the steel of the TOPS version is heat treated.  The heat tempering of the original Armageddon and the Hoodlum is done by Paul Bos.  If the TOPS version is as well, I'll probably go with it.  If not, I think I'll go with the Hoodlum.

Whew... that takes care of item no. 1.

No. 2 would have to be some type of flint firestarter.  Im leaning toward the blastmatch.

On a side note, can anyone elaborate on why they would choose a bushcraft style knife with a 4 or 5 inch blade over a larger blade.  I understand that it is better for small or intricate tasks but a larger blade can still do these things just not as well.  I can't imagine that this is worth giving up the chopping ability of a large blade.

If the short cut was easier or more effective, it would simply be called "The Way"

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
@WV Leo - I think that it is a matter of personal preference. For me, it is also the level of skill that I have using a shorter knife. Honestly, I believe that the size of the knife matters less than the ability to use it.

The reasons I prefer a shorter length knife stems from my professional training as a soldier and also with my familiarity with it in bushcraft.

A short knife is 1) easier to conceal, 2) easier to wield, 3) less likely to be taken (and used against you) and 4) more practical in everyday tasks.

Here is a link to a video that shows how to split wood with a short knife : http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-split-wood-using-an-axe-or-a-knife

Offline A Pirate

• Prepper
  • Loose lips sink ships
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
I would have to say my Tomahawk, and a recurve bow w/ flint broadheads. A tomahawk is the first multi-tool good at many things, the bow can get me food and the flint of the arrow heads can give me fire. Plus I would feel primeval as all get out.
I have survived Iraq and Detroit, so bring on your TEOTWAWKI.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »
I apologize - I responded to this post without realizing that it fell under the Primitive Skills & Earth Skills category.

The two PRIMTIVE tools I would take would be an obsidian "hand-axe" and a bow with several arrows.

The really cool thing about primitive survival is that everything that you really "need" can be found in the wild. Just the skills and knowledge of knowing how to use the items need to be "brought".

Anyway, cool thread - thanks for getting me to think along a different path.

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2012, 10:47:44 PM »
Depends on your wilderness - but I'd say at minimum I'd want a good sized knife and a goodly amount of paracord.  Can start making all sorts of useful items at that point (bow drill, long bow etc. etc. etc. etc.)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »
I'd go with a good knife such as a Ka-Bar with a 5" blade, and a 1-3 gal stainless steel cookpot with an integral bail.

Cordage is important, but the ability to cook & boil drinking water immediately would seem more critical to me.

Cordage isn't hard--even grass can be made into rope. But making a cookpot is a real chore.

That being said, anywhere on earth that people have been they have dumped their trash. So I'd be on the lookout for all kinds of expedient artifacts from the gitgo.
I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
You're absolutely correct on that LdMorgan, I am yet to learn how to make cordage, but all those survival games and trivia tests always have one where if you want safe water - boil it.  A good pot will have a heap of crucial uses

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »
.... I am yet to learn how to make cordage...

Here ya go:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-rope-out-of-dead-plants----with-no-tools/?ALLSTEPS

Watch the video at the end especially. Works for any kind of fibers. One of the easiest fibers is plain old dry grass, just rip it up, cut off the roots, and soak it in water until it gets nice and pliable.

That little twist & turn winding sequence is really hard to describe in words, but the video shows how simple and easy it really is.

Minor digression from the thread, here, but it does point out that the best tools you can have in an emergency are a well-stocked brain and ready hands.

("Don't leave home without them!")

I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »

Felco #2

Stainless Steel bowl

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
I apologize - I responded to this post without realizing that it fell under the Primitive Skills & Earth Skills category.

Oh.. wait.. it is? I have to rethink now.

Cedar

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
Knife and a means of starting a fire. But I'm bringing my hammock.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2012, 11:54:06 PM »
How primative?

This is kinda middle of the road from 900AD

I want that pot

Cedar

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
This is kinda middle of the road from 900AD

that is a nice firestarter...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
I am used to these kind, but the other one was older. I need to make myself a couple

Cedar

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
I need to practice more with mine so i dont smack my fingers.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:22 AM »
Man, just two is tough.  I guess a 5" fixed-blade knife and a magnesium firestarter, but it's not going to be an easy go of it.  I'll get through a few summer months, but without better tools it's going to be very hard to get enough food and have adequate shelter for winter.

If I could have a dirty dozen it might look something like this:

Pulaski
.22/20 gauge with 500 rounds of .22 and 10-20 rounds of slugs (1-2 years supply)
Bow saw
8 quart dutch oven
magnesium firestarter
25' roll of 6mm clear plastic
Cordage (as much as I can get)
Sawyer 0.1 filter
5" fixed-blade knife
seed bank designed for the area
-10F rated sleeping bag
20 pounds of Yukon Gold seed potatoes

Now that would be a decent start. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
How about a good knife and a direct connect phone to Cedar?

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
;D  More valueable than any tool in the world!
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Online Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep Cedar in my BOB for emergencies.    Cloning is still not looking promising.  I'm hoping to digitize her sometime in the next couple of years.  (Hello Tron Ceder)

Doc
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
I believe we have a winner!
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
MacReady - Ron and Trace were very, VERY good friends while Ron was alive. I know (because I've seen both the Armageddon, and the Hoodlum in person) that they're two very different knives. But it wouldn't surprise me if I were to find out that Ron and Trace talked about the Hoodlum and its design before it went into production. Not saying it happened (I've never thought to ask Trace, and Ron has been dead for almost 8 months now), but.... I'll ask him when I talk to him next.

All TSP Members get a 20% discount on any paid membership at Equip 2 Endure! Just enter coupon code "tspforum" (without the quotation marks) to start saving today!

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »
2 things?  A really good single barrel bourbon or single malt scotch and a box of Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios.  I might as well go out in style.

And I carry more than 2 tools at a time in my pockets.  If I'm wearing pants I'm better prepared than the "2-tool rule" you've set.

Offline coldbore762

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Assuming I'm wearing a full set of clothes, a belt, and good boots and choosing from items I own already. I would say the 3 1/2 inch folding knife I carry everywhere and a magnesium fire starter.

If I could stop by cabellas before being stranded in the woods, I would want the very best 4-5 inch fixed blade knife I could find and a blast match.

I want to learn to be more competent making friction fires with only a knife to start with in a wide variety of climates, If I ever got to be proficient than I would swap the blast match for a SS canteen with a detachable cup for cooking/boiling
-They drew first blood, not me -Rambo

Gun control is hitting what you aimed at

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
Assuming I'm wearing a full set of clothes, a belt, and good boots and choosing from items I own already. I would say the 3 1/2 inch folding knife I carry everywhere and a magnesium fire starter.

If I could stop by cabellas before being stranded in the woods, I would want the very best 4-5 inch fixed blade knife I could find and a blast match.

I want to learn to be more competent making friction fires with only a knife to start with in a wide variety of climates, If I ever got to be proficient than I would swap the blast match for a SS canteen with a detachable cup for cooking/boiling

Good thinking. You are starting to gain the two things I was looking for, knowledge and experience. I've handed a magnesium fire starter to people and they would ask how to use it. Remember, the best survival tool you have is your brain, after that it's adapt and overcome with what ever tool or tools you have or can find.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline drick

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
a good knife, felling axe.

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
(1) Berkey bottle.
(2) Pilot knife.

#1 because it's a water purification and carry device; #2 because it's a practical size all-round fixed blade with a sheath and sharpening stone.  Both items do a double-duty, but it's inherent in them so I'm not exactly fudging with the rules.

And if I can squeak in a third item, it would be:
(3) Inflatable goat.
Because, like, duh.  Who would want to be caught out in the wilds without his I.G.?
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »
Assuming I get to keep my boot laces and hat and clothes I would want my survival guidebook and a standard axe one side for chopping one for hammering. My thinking is my hat is waterproof I can boil water (and I have) in it, with the laces i can make a fire bow irritating but workable and my survival guidebook just has alot of random useful things from poisonous/edible plants in my area with pictures as well as common plants used as medicinal herbs. And an axe is what I would use to build my shelter. And if i need a something to cut with I can always try my hand at flint knapping again irritating but workable.
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.