Author Topic: Which two tools would you take  (Read 70517 times)

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Which two tools would you take
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2012, 06:12:07 AM »
Assuming I get to keep my boot laces and hat and clothes I would want my survival guidebook and a standard axe one side for chopping one for hammering. My thinking is my hat is waterproof I can boil water (and I have) in it, with the laces i can make a fire bow irritating but workable and my survival guidebook just has alot of random useful things from poisonous/edible plants in my area with pictures as well as common plants used as medicinal herbs. And an axe is what I would use to build my shelter. And if i need a something to cut with I can always try my hand at flint knapping again irritating but workable.

Good answer. Using knowledge instead of gadgets. Gadgets will fail after awhile, some sooner than others. I would encourage you to select a wood handled axe (handle can be replaced) and the axe worked against some flint like stone can make enough sparks to start your fire. Keep your laces on.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2013, 02:06:05 AM »
(I'm answering the start question, I haven't read the whole thing)

a medi size axe (so called skogsyxa) and firesteel
The axe for building shelter, collecting firewood, building fishtraps and other traps and so on. A Sharp axe can be used like a knife too that's why the axe over the knife.
the firesteel.... well that's obvious

Offline reroderic

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
Klein number 7 s and a wire reel I can make any thing and fix anything but I'm trained would love to teach this one

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2015, 05:33:47 PM »
Good thread.

I'll go with a nice Forest Axe and napalm (for firestarter).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:03 PM »
I just went back to see if my answer three years ago was the same as it would be today. Yuppers... a pot and knife/Felcos.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
My HOBO-knife and my microwave.

Offline survivaladvantage

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Survival Renegade
    • Survival Advantage
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2017, 02:27:15 PM »
1. Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
2. 2000ml Stainless Steel Pot

:)

Offline Davew223

• Survivor

Offline KeithH

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Australian Survival & Preppers.
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2020, 09:05:23 PM »
My flintlock fusil & my tomahawk.

Keith.

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »
Knives and axes never run out of ammo.. 8)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
Can't answer without additional information. What kind of wilderness? Tropic, subarctic, desert...? For how long? Am I trying to get out of there, or do I keep hiding there...? Is it just me and the nature, or are there other people? If so, are they friends or enemies?
Based on various circumstances, my answer could be anywhere from "axe and lighter" to "AK and bayonet"

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
This is the problem faced on Naked and Afraid.  You can have two items when you really need at least 3, preferably 5 items.  The result is suffering and drama and that is what they want for a TV show.  Based on the show the most important items are a big knife and a cooking pot. 

Dave Cantabury has his 5 Cs list.  This is really the minimum for survival in the woods.

cutting tool- knife or axe.
combustion device-fire steel
covering device- wool blanket or tarp
container- stainless steel pot
cordage- tar line or para-cord.

If your fire starting skills are rock solid you could skip the combustion device.  If you ever watch the primitive survival you tube channel then you have seen him do amazing things with clay like making pots.  This could be your container if you have the skill to do this and start a fire.  Problem is if you need to boil water then you have limited time to make a container. Cordage can also be made with primitive  things found in the woods. A covering device could be made from animal skins if you have the skill to hunt large animals and tan leather with primitive materials.

I think you have to take the big knife.  It can be used to make other tools.  An axe is tempting especially if you are in a cold climate and need a lot of wood. The next question is do you need to boil water or stay warm in order to survive.  If it is hot and you need water fast take the pot.  If it is cold take a wool blanket.