Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 242826 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #840 on: June 04, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »
Been doing some rotating in the storeroom.

You can get DIZZY that way. ;)
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #841 on: June 04, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
I found a package of chocolate cookies that needed to get rotated out of storage....
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #842 on: June 04, 2017, 04:51:09 PM »
You can get DIZZY that way. ;)

Wonder why the doc didn't figure that out?  :o
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #843 on: June 04, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
I found a package of chocolate cookies that needed to get rotated out of storage....

Yum

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Online LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #844 on: June 04, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
lucky you!!!
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #845 on: June 09, 2017, 03:20:17 AM »
We use from our stuff constantly and just don't let it get below a certain level of stock.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #846 on: June 09, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
I'm beginning to think that's the best way to rotate it.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #847 on: June 09, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »
Works well for us.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #848 on: June 09, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
  Why save it if you don't use it?

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Online LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #849 on: June 09, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
That's why we eat what we store.
It's in continual rotation.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #850 on: June 09, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
When I started a couple years ago, I planned on just rotating by the expo dates, but have discovered that doesn't work well.
I wanted a 2 year supply to start with. (Think leave it there for 2 years) Then start using it and putting it back. I found we had too much that was expiring at the same time.
So change in plans. Like Red, use it, replace it. Like coffee, though it will keep longer, I keep 12 36oz bags of whole beans. We burn that.....er......grind that up in about 10 months.
So my limit on coffee can go more than 10 bags.

Milk in a carton. Don't buy 12 quarts at the same time.  :facepalm: It's likely to expire the same time.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #851 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
As far as the "best by" or "use by" or expiry dates I take that with several grains of salt. Never had a problem with anything not too far out. Read here somewhere about 30 yr. old beans. I wasn't clear if that was dry or canned.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2017, 06:08:38 PM »
Usually with bought-en canned goods, we'll go a year or 2 and not bother us.
But last year we were redoing the closet pantry and found some spinach that was 5 years out. Whooo now, it's nasty when it's fresh. Lol. 

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
I'd prefer not to go two years over but as long as the can isn't swollen I guess you only sacrifice some quality on the older stuff.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #854 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:21 AM »
When I started a couple years ago, I planned on just rotating by the expo dates, but have discovered that doesn't work well.
I wanted a 2 year supply to start with. (Think leave it there for 2 years) Then start using it and putting it back. I found we had too much that was expiring at the same time.
So change in plans. Like Red, use it, replace it. Like coffee, though it will keep longer, I keep 12 36oz bags of whole beans. We burn that.....er......grind that up in about 10 months.
So my limit on coffee can go more than 10 bags.

Milk in a carton. Don't buy 12 quarts at the same time.  :facepalm: It's likely to expire the same time.

Indeed. The solution is buying incrementally over the first year of making your stock.
I was of limited funds then, so I discovered the method out of necessity.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #855 on: June 11, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »
I was grafting up the last 17 of the 45 apple trees for my friend today, while waiting to go onto the next project, when on the 3rd from the last, I looked up against my better judgement and took out my left thumb. After 15 minutes I finally got it to stop gushing blood while leaning over the sink to keep it from going all over to clean up later.

Got my FAK out of my truck, and used tefa pads, kling wrap, vet wrap and got it wrapped up (after I got it to quit bleeding the second time as I had to JUST had to finish up those last 3 trees), and did a pretty good job at wrapping it.. and ironically used the same utility knife to cut my bandages that I used to cut my thumb with.

Self medicated with Amoxicillin out of my hoarded stash.

I need to replace a couple things I used in there. But really glad I have a good FAK with me.

Taught my friend how to graft the last 3 trees, as I started to, but then decided it was not in my best interest.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #856 on: June 11, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
  I hope you are OK,that's the only left thumb you've got.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #857 on: June 11, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
  I hope you are OK,that's the only left thumb you've got.

After 15 minutes of it gushing blood, I really thought I was going to have to go to the ER, but currently other than reminding me ALOT that it is still there, I think I am OK. I always tease my friend Bob about when he cut off his thumb (They actually had to reattach it, and part of his toe in in his thumb), so I had to show him photos that I was trying to emulate him. Even he was impressed. I never type with my left thumb, just my right for the space bar, so I am good to go  :P

Actually I am wimping out on the tablesaw right now, letting JD build the bee nucs, but in a bit I will get back on it and start opening hives to move some bees around into them.

And thanks!

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #858 on: June 11, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
After 15 minutes of it gushing blood, I really thought I was going to have to go to the ER, but currently other than reminding me ALOT that it is still there, I think I am OK. I always tease my friend Bob about when he cut off his thumb (They actually had to reattach it, and part of his toe in in his thumb), so I had to show him photos that I was trying to emulate him. Even he was impressed. I never type with my left thumb, just my right for the space bar, so I am good to go  :P

Actually I am wimping out on the tablesaw right now, letting JD build the bee nucs, but in a bit I will get back on it and start opening hives to move some bees around into them.

And thanks!

Cedar

I am truly glad to hear that it should heal and be OK. Yea, I also would avoid the power saw for a time and be sure to use safety sticks near the blade.
But,on the bright side...at least you got to use the medical kit you just bragged about...I hope there is no connection to stuff like that.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #859 on: June 11, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
But,on the bright side...at least you got to use the medical kit you just bragged about...

Actually that was my Trauma Bag I was talking about the other day, this is just a FAK I tossed together and put into an old large camera bag I bought for $2 back in 2010?

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #860 on: June 11, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
Actually that was my Trauma Bag I was talking about the other day, this is just a FAK I tossed together and put into an old large camera bag I bought for $2 back in 2010?

Cedar

Oh, good because Trauma could have been much worse.

Online Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #861 on: June 13, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
I  own suture kits I don't know how to use ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #862 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
I  own suture kits I don't know how to use ;)

If we get to go camping together again, bring them and I will show you how to use them. I also have suture on the reel, so we can use some of that. You have needle drivers?

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #863 on: June 17, 2017, 11:45:32 AM »
Ugh. Brought out my small suture kit last night, debrided the flesh off my thumb which was not reattaching with a #10 scalpal blade, as it was getting kinda ugly looking, and I was afraid I was going to snag it on something when I was airing it out at night..washed it with betadine. Looks​ much better now with extra bits removed. Still on my stash of antibiotics. Hopefully only another week to heal?

Mind you, I do not recommend this self-treatment like this, but it was my work for 20 yrs, so I felt confident doing it, and if anything was looking wonky, oozing something, or smelling weird, I was going to see a doctor. It still is owwie though.

But glad I do have more than a bandaid box ...

Cedar

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #864 on: June 17, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Ugh. 7 to 10 to heal probably

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #865 on: June 17, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
Ugh. Brought out my small suture kit last night, debrided the flesh off my thumb which was not reattaching with a #10 scalpal blade, as it was getting kinda ugly looking, and I was afraid I was going to snag it on something when I was airing it out at night..washed it with betadine. Looks​ much better now with extra bits removed. Still on my stash of antibiotics. Hopefully only another week to heal?

Mind you, I do not recommend this self-treatment like this, but it was my work for 20 yrs, so I felt confident doing it, and if anything was looking wonky, oozing something, or smelling weird, I was going to see a doctor. It still is owwie though.

Cedar

My cuts appear to heal much faster with twice a day ,15 minute application of UV light....

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #866 on: June 18, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »

Cedar

Seven days is long for delayed primary closure, two or three generally being the recommendation.  Not that I'm disagreeing, the best answer to the "suture or not" (1st or 2nd intent) question is often "both" (3rd or delayed closure) imo, assuming no infection which is the whole point of waiting to close in the first place.

Impressed and thanks for sharing.  Thread could use some pics however.  I really shudder to think how many might enter even a minor emergency such as this and, pardon the expression, find themselves without even a pot to poop in. :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #867 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
 :rofl:

We have 5 gallon buckets for pots

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #868 on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
Seven days is long for delayed primary closure, two or three generally being the recommendation.  Not that I'm disagreeing, the best answer to the "suture or not" (1st or 2nd intent) question is often "both" (3rd or delayed closure) imo, assuming no infection which is the whole point of waiting to close in the first place.

Impressed and thanks for sharing.  Thread could use some pics however.  I really shudder to think how many might enter even a minor emergency such as this and, pardon the expression, find themselves without even a pot to poop in. :rofl:

Hey, some of us don't even have a exit... ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #869 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »

At this late date, in hindsight, it probably should have had five-ish sutures tossed in. It won't be the end of the world though. I put myself on amoxicillin 500 BID x 7. I might go ten.  I considered Ceph. Cleaned with betadine a few times. Neoporin at night when I take the bandages off to air it out. Trying to keep it dry under the bandage and my gloves while I am bulldozering.  Looks like raw flesh, definitely all layers of skin gone. It is not that huge of an area. Gonna leave a nice scar, but hey, it could have been in a worse location, than where I did it, so no complaints there.

I just keep checking it for infection,trying to keep it as clean as I can. I am pretty sure I will live.

The only reason I didn't go get it dealt with, was on a Friday, had alot to get done that day, worked in animal surgery 22 years, cleaned and sutured a lot of ugly trainwrecks. I have sewed on humans before (shh -- bush medicine -- 12 hrs drive to a real hospital). But yes, if I had not been able to get it to stop actively bleeding in another minute or two, I would have gone to ER. I did text a couple people on TSP pics of the injury, but I will see if they are worth posting. The piglet I sewed up after getting stepped on by a 600# sow, which I think I posted here, was one I was proud of, as a three corner deep laceration came together better than I had hoped. I probably could have seen this one up, as I can use either hand for it, but in reality I would have had someone else in ER do it, as I am a wimp and cannot inject myself with lidocaine.

But unless you have experience, I wouldn't​ recommend doing self-surgery or self-surgery.

Cedar
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:51:19 PM by Cedar »