Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 242272 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #870 on: June 23, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »
This is such a wonderful recipe that I can't wait to prepare this.

Yumm ,toasted squirrel bits with onion and banana pepper.....
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #871 on: June 23, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »
While the use was not 'prepper' related, I did use my preps.

First part is my debit card. I think the daily limit is set at $200. A few years ago I had the limits for my wife and I increased by quite a bit. The purpose of this was in case we needed to get cash quickly in a large amount and the banks were closed.

Second part was to keep cash on hand. We had a decent sum in my safe and usually added to it a couple times a year to slowly let it grow.

Both were used when I bought my bike last weekend. It was a Sunday when I found it and a great deal that I wanted to jump on. I didn't have enough in the safe to cover the purchase price but I was able to go to the ATM and pull out enough to cover the remainder that I needed. This allowed me to get the bike. We'll restock our cash reserves over the next couple months and be right back where we were.

So while buying a 'bike' wasn't preparing, being prepared allow me to do something that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #872 on: June 23, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
Flexing of Prepper Power if ever I saw it. And no one got injured!

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #873 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »
You know that trauma bag we were talking about Carl? Sadly I had to use it today as JD ran his hand through a table saw with a dado blade on it, losing two fingers on his right hand. Index and middle fingers.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #874 on: July 10, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
  OUCH...bad accident...good you were there or it could have been much worse.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #875 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
You know that trauma bag we were talking about Carl? Sadly I had to use it today as JD ran his hand through a table saw with a dado blade on it, losing two fingers on his right hand. Index and middle fingers.

Cedar

:jaw-drop:
Poor guy!
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Online Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #876 on: July 10, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
Gad. Sorry to hear that.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #877 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »
Three days no hot water and/or no water at two houses, so grateful to myself for having wet wipes for a "bath' tonight.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #878 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:55 AM »
the day before yesterday we had a short power cutoff.
I used the chance to spend the time upgrading a flashlight of mine.
Music from the HAM radio, headlamp for lighting, battery powered soldering iron etc.
It turned out tha it is good enough for PCB work, but not for soldering on brass pars and heatsinks. :-[

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #879 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »
Made lunch in the solar cooker on the deck, tamale pie, using dehydrated tomato powder, home dehydrated celery, home dehydrated peppers, canned beans, corn, olives from pantry. I did boil water for polenta in the house, could have done this outside too if I had wanted the meal for dinner, rather than lunch, my deck has alot of East shade. A bit of grated hard goat cheese on top.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #880 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »
Made lunch in the solar cooker

I am building a new one now mm, what does your look like? I left my former one in Canada.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #881 on: July 20, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »
I am building a new one now mm, what does your look like? I left my former one in Canada.

Cedar

After the early years of experimentation with home made ones, I eventually went to store bought. Sturdy, lightweight, portable, works well. I have the Sun Oven for years, when I was cooking for a family everyday, I was using it every day half the year and ended up buying a second one, so I could cook multiple items at once for the family.

I have taken a sun oven to the county fair, where we have to camp in the parking lot all week, We would make ahead cassaroles and freeze them, and each morning, take a partially thawed one out of the cooler and into the sun oven , set it and forget it and have food later.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #882 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
I have been thinking g about buying a crockpot since I lost all of mine, and two days ago, I was like "duh", make another solar oven. So I started compiling materials two days ago and hope to take it to the table saw today.

Yes, the same one JD cut his fingers off with, and I think your u asked... He is doing ok. Might have to have surgery down the road, but he just tore out their laundry room floor and replaced it, and moved three cords of wood yesterday.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #883 on: July 20, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
  Glad to hear he is better , my older brother stuck his hand into a RUNNING lawn mower while removing the bagger  when he was 15 and that was not so good...he is an IT person now and thinks he is the smartest of three brothers.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #884 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
I have been thinking g about buying a crockpot since I lost all of mine, and two days ago, I was like "duh", make another solar oven. So I started compiling materials two days ago and hope to take it to the table saw today.

Yes, the same one JD cut his fingers off with, and I think your u asked... He is doing ok. Might have to have surgery down the road, but he just tore out their laundry room floor and replaced it, and moved three cords of wood yesterday.

Cedar

glad he is fine. The plywood ones are heavy, and it is hard to have reflectors as good as the store bought ones. Heavy is bad for me, but you are stronger. I also do not have as much scrounged materials to build with.

Our first homemade so,ar oven was made with cardboard and foil with a window on top. Worked well, held up for years, the box part was light weight, and we carried the window seperate to set on top. We made it TOO LARGE, so it was unweildly to move and store, otherwise that cardboard one would have lasted a very long time

These homemade box cookers work well as all day slow cookers. But, the most recent sun oven gets hot enough to use to bake cookies, etc... so can do back to back cooking on a summer day. I also like how it folds up, snaps close, and has a carry handle for me to carry it outside, put it in the trunk to take camping, etc...

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #885 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »

Cedar
This will be my August project, so i will be following your footsteps

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #886 on: July 20, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
My first one was cardboard and lasted six or seven years, but I was running out of room in n my way back to the states so gave it to someone. I had baked a cake at -3c, but it took three hrs. I actually have plans in the first magazine I did in 1995, and I will send that to ppl who want if they pm me their email. It may get take a few days until I can get my laptop online at a friend's house. It was a really rough issue as I was working out the program with no directions.

I am gearing up to start the magazine in the next few months again with a partner so I can just focus on projects and writing.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
Monday to Wednesday we were camping on a plateau on 1500m of elevation. I got notice Sunday afternoon, so my gear collecting was good but no perfect. (I chose not to use pre-packaged gear as an exercise)
So I dove into my car gear to use
- poncho as a second layer on the tent, since we were expecting LOTS of rain.
- day shoes I wore as camp shoes
- 18650 batteries
- car stored clothes rolled in a pillow.
- car mats for improving on the foam sleeping mat (EXCELLENT insulation i tell you)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
Monday to Wednesday we were camping on a plateau on 1500m of elevation. I got notice Sunday afternoon, so my gear collecting was good but no perfect. (I chose not to use pre-packaged gear as an exercise)
So I dove into my car gear to use
- poncho as a second layer on the tent, since we were expecting LOTS of rain.
- day shoes I wore as camp shoes
- 18650 batteries
- car stored clothes rolled in a pillow.
- car mats for improving on the foam sleeping mat (EXCELLENT insulation i tell you)

Wow, good thinking!

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #889 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »
yesterday I had a low tire... I will be monitoring it, but it did not spoil my ride... I used the 12V tire pump i recently acquired and keep in the trunk

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
« Reply #890 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, we were in a restaurant (mostly a beer place) - Table next to us ordered a wine. Waiter came back and said they could not find the corkscrew. I said I keep one in the car for wine emergencies....Got corkscrew. Saved dinner.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #891 on: October 07, 2017, 03:45:35 AM »
Waiter came back and said they could not find the corkscrew. I said I keep one in the car for wine emergencies.

I don't even drink wine, but you get karma just for using the phrase "wine emergencies" and being prepped for them.

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #892 on: October 07, 2017, 04:48:29 AM »
I'm not a wine drinker either but perhaps "wine emergencies" should be added to the TSP book of dire emergencies.  :beer:
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #893 on: October 07, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, we were in a restaurant (mostly a beer place) - Table next to us ordered a wine. Waiter came back and said they could not find the corkscrew. I said I keep one in the car for wine emergencies....Got corkscrew. Saved dinner.

WHAT?!  Why wasn't it already in your pocket???  SAK: opens the beer bottle, pops the wine cork, slices the cheese and saws through that overdone T-bone steak!
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #894 on: October 21, 2017, 12:59:28 AM »
well, I used mine last week.
I was on a very long trip, was halfway lost, so asked a guy on the side of the road for directions. He asked back for some water. For the car. Out came the 2liter bottle, his eyes rolled and kept it cos he had to go quite some miles before the next water source.