Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 329421 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #900 on: November 27, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
Actually no, I made a sausage, cheese, egg thing sort of like a Mexican or Spanish Migas. Should have put onion, bell pepper and jalapeno in it also.   :facepalm:

YUMM,as long as it is in the mix,you benefit.
I put some potato shreds with shredded pork on the grill-plate this morning and the dog had to make do with dawg food.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #901 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:31 AM »

I put some potato shreds with shredded pork on the grill-plate this morning and the dog had to make do with dawg food.

Can't go wrong there either. Poor dog.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #902 on: November 27, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
Can't go wrong there either. Poor dog.

I keep her fattened up,just in case,because Y3K is just around the corner.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #903 on: November 27, 2017, 09:30:14 AM »
 :spit:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #904 on: January 07, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »
Brought out some more home canned stew. Got home late last night, and needed a quick fix for supper.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #905 on: January 07, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
For supper we had hash browns from Augason potato shreds, home canned sweet potatoes, home made coleslaw and link sausage warmed up in a little lard. The potatoes complimented each other BTW.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #906 on: January 07, 2018, 11:52:33 PM »
My youngest came down with that horrid flu, I nursed her for last 4 days for her end of break. It was good to have sick supplies at hand: pulled out home canned applejuice put up this last fall, Biota elderberry juice, home canned veg soup, lemons just about ripe off the tree to make lemon/honey in hot water. Then from pantry supplies made lebanese lemon lentil soup ( home canned stock, lemon from tree, lots of home grown garlic -- lentils and potatoes from pantry supplies ) with some home canned peach slices. I had already put aside a small box of sick supplies to take home with her, likely she will need to use those to get thru classes ( sypmtom supression over the counter stuff, etc...)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #907 on: January 09, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
Remind me to **not** buy any more Armour vienna bites for stocking.

We usually put some kind of meat into our homemade canned stew we can every year, just to add to the stew. We put a can of those in it, it it totally soured the taste of our stew.  :pissed: :facepalm: :stop:

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #908 on: January 09, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
I opened a can of peak dried whole milk to rotate it out, so now I am making my daily afternoon cocoa with it for a few weeks, and not the fresh goat milk, goat milk is low right now and I am trying to save it up to do one more batch of cheese

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #909 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:30 AM »
Remind me to **not** buy any more Armour vienna bites for stocking.

We usually put some kind of meat into our homemade canned stew we can every year, just to add to the stew. We put a can of those in it, it it totally soured the taste of our stew.  :pissed: :facepalm: :stop:

I use 'chunk' and thick sliced bacon...there's always room for bacon. :P

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #910 on: January 10, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
That gave me a thought Carl. Dry some meat and put it in mason jars, vacuum packed. We have lots of jowl

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #911 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »
That gave me a thought Carl. Dry some meat and put it in mason jars, vacuum packed. We have lots of jowl

Hard to tell with your beard.  :) Dried meats are ideal for stews and such.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #912 on: January 13, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »
while I am still collecting parts fro my small power box, and planning a black out exercise, reality offered a real event yesterday afternoon.
I powered the router to have internet access, used USB lights, made Greek coffee on an alcohol stove, etc.
Some Pics: http://greekpreparedness.blogspot.gr/2018/01/blog-post.html

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #913 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:49 PM »
while I am still collecting parts fro my small power box, and planning a black out exercise, reality offered a real event yesterday afternoon.
I powered the router to have internet access, used USB lights, made Greek coffee on an alcohol stove, etc.
Some Pics: http://greekpreparedness.blogspot.gr/2018/01/blog-post.html

Coffee, a light and internet access -- Great job ! Just those 3 things will help every emergency better

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #914 on: January 13, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
Road trip today to work on church benches, we took homemade canned stew and also canned smoked pork for lunch.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #915 on: January 14, 2018, 01:41:25 AM »
Coffee, a light and internet access -- Great job ! Just those 3 things will help every emergency better

yes....and nowadays Internet access is a safety feature....
BTW check the neighboorhood for other wifi signals and there was only one more. which must be from a business. router being tied to the PC APU. Might been hackable too.
Now that I recall both the city's public network and a telecommunications provider wide area/sharin net for subscribers where down.
I guess this kind of recon counts for the thread content too!

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #916 on: March 01, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
We were without heat for 10 days during 30-40 degree days and below freezing nights.  Heat system finally fixed today.  I ran the wood stove darn near 24/7.  We lost power (and therefore well water) for a day.  Ran the place with a tractor/PTO generator combo.  I had just got out the Steven Harris "Run silent run deep" 600ah worth of batteries with an inverter to power internet, fridge, freezer and stove fan for the night when the power came on. 

The PTO generator is 12kw.  I have main house panel with manual transfer switch, the generator plug and the custom non-suicide cable all done by an electrician.  This was the first time we used it "for real".  I have everything sort of pre-staged and it was nice to just roll it out and fire it up.  We even ran the laundry washer... lulz. 

We also filled up two of the Tim Glance/Old Grouch 5 gallon euro mil surp water bags.  We have no water when there is no 240v power so I wanted it for over night and the next morning.  we did not end up needed it but nice to have.  We have used them in past outages; filling them with the last bit of pressure in the water system pressure tank. 

Thanks to Jack and Steve Harris.  I pulled this entire plan from the power series they did a few years back.  It all worked. 

Lastly, I have to say it;  a PTO generator hooked to a tractor is pretty much a... 

Light Saber!   :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #917 on: March 01, 2018, 01:45:50 AM »
We were without heat for 10 days during 30-40 degree days and below freezing nights.  Heat system finally fixed today.  I ran the wood stove darn near 24/7.  We lost power (and therefore well water) for a day.  Ran the place with a tractor/PTO generator combo.  I had just got out the Steven Harris "Run silent run deep" 600ah worth of batteries with an inverter to power internet, fridge, freezer and stove fan for the night when the power came on. 

The PTO generator is 12kw.  I have main house panel with manual transfer switch, the generator plug and the custom non-suicide cable all done by an electrician.  This was the first time we used it "for real".  I have everything sort of pre-staged and it was nice to just roll it out and fire it up.  We even ran the laundry washer... lulz. 

We also filled up two of the Tim Glance/Old Grouch 5 gallon euro mil surp water bags.  We have no water when there is no 240v power so I wanted it for over night and the next morning.  we did not end up needed it but nice to have.  We have used them in past outages; filling them with the last bit of pressure in the water system pressure tank. 

Thanks to Jack and Steve Harris.  I pulled this entire plan from the power series they did a few years back.  It all worked. 

Lastly, I have to say it;  a PTO generator hooked to a tractor is pretty much a... 

Great tale of how preparation does keep one alive and comfortable during disruption. Good job

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #918 on: March 01, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

Great job !!

I have been using my preps all week as my pressure pump died last friday. I had changed the water system over the years here so that I have a tank and a small amount of gravity feed, and made sure to have a pressure pump that allows water to run thru it when it is off. None of that was here when I moved in. This has meant that we have water and I can also slowly fill animal water.

But, not quite prepped enough. Couldnt find my back up shower head though to put on my renters shower, we use low flow shower heads in CA, which is normally fine, but they restrict flow too much to allow low pressure water thru. I had a shower head where I had taken the flow restricter out, so I need to get a new one. Also, I am unable to take apart the plumbing at the pump myself, very frustrating, so I will have to hire out for a very simple install job once the new pump arrives. I went and bought a couple stainless steel flexible pipe lengths ( 12" and 24", respectively) these are the ones where the connectors at each end turn without the pipe turning. This should allow an easier way that even I can take off to check or clean out a pump without an expensive service call, so I will ask the well service guy to swap out the other connectors for these.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #919 on: March 01, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
markl32.........sounds great.

Kinda sounds like our last outage. We also have a well, and need a way to get water from it with no power. We're thinking a deep well stainless hand pump.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #920 on: March 01, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »

Kinda sounds like our last outage. We also have a well, and need a way to get water from it with no power. We're thinking a deep well stainless hand pump.

I like the look of those deep well stainless steel, if I had the money I would have it as a backup.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #921 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
I like the look of those deep well stainless steel, if I had the money I would have it as a backup.

Same here. Too many other priorities to spend the coin on it right now.
So we just store water. Course we have the gen we can fire up and run the well also.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #922 on: March 01, 2018, 03:58:53 PM »
Same here. Too many other priorities to spend the coin on it right now.
So we just store water. Course we have the gen we can fire up and run the well also.

My solar set up with battery back up will run either or both the pressure pump and the well pump, and I have a 2500gallon tank. The handpump is a backup to a pump or electrics breaking. Things can break at just the worst times  -- so, my inverter can break, or your generator. then we are both on stored water

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #923 on: March 02, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »

This is on the roadmap!  We are looking at a new well pump in the next 3-5 years as the current one is nearing 20 years old and I'll do the hand pump when we have to replace the powered pump.  I am happy with the generator and all but the simplicity of a hand pump is very attractive. 

I am also budgeting for a rain water catchment system; somewhere between 4000 and 7000 gallons.  I live in the pacific northwest so if I ever run short on water I am just simply doing it wrong... 

thanks to all for the feedback. 

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #924 on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
We had for supper home canned navy beans with tomato sauce and pork, home canned white potatoes and home canned ham. Keeping the jars rotating and keeping from starving.  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #925 on: May 05, 2018, 04:59:31 PM »
We had for supper home canned navy beans with tomato sauce and pork, home canned white potatoes and home canned ham. Keeping the jars rotating and keeping from starving.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #926 on: May 15, 2018, 10:17:09 PM »
wife's car battery died

used my jumper cables, and nothing... good thing we had 2nd pair of jumper cables :) got the car jumped and over autozone for a new battery.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #927 on: May 16, 2018, 04:33:53 PM »
wife's car battery died

used my jumper cables, and nothing... good thing we had 2nd pair of jumper cables :) got the car jumped and over autozone for a new battery.

Hate it when that happens. Glad you got it going again.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #928 on: June 03, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
Dug out a jar of homemade canned stew for dinner.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #929 on: June 08, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Supper last night was home canned shredded pork in BBQ sauce, home canned beans with pork and tomato sauce and home canned white potatoes.