Author Topic: I used my preps today...  (Read 346270 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: I used my preps today...
« Reply #990 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »
It take talent, practice and skill to get a scratch made crust to turn out pretty IMO. I have all but three of those.  ;D

Lol

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #991 on: August 04, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
Yeah any winter type squash may be substituted for pumpkin and that is what this was. It take talent, practice and skill to get a scratch made crust to turn out pretty IMO. I have all but three of those.  ;D

Just use vodka, gin or bourbon in place of the water. Alcohol prevents gluten development so you get a very flaky crust. I also use equal parts flour and cake flour. I doubt you'll hear complaints about bourbon in the crust of a pumpkin pie, much less my beloved pecan.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #992 on: August 05, 2018, 02:24:18 AM »
Bourbon pie (pecan pie w/o pecans) was going to be my next attempt.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #993 on: August 05, 2018, 08:45:54 AM »
  Where do you place the duct tape?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #994 on: August 05, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
  Where do you place the duct tape?

I put it around the edge for a rim to hold the filling until it's set. Shell is overfilled due to the amount of bourbon.  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #995 on: August 05, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Sticky side in? or out?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #996 on: August 05, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
Oh in definitely to give the filling something to stick to.  ;)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #997 on: August 29, 2018, 02:32:08 AM »
Lately our evening meals have all been homecanned meats and vegetables with grains all from the storeroom. Just keeping the stuff moving.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #998 on: August 29, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Lately our evening meals have all been homecanned meats and vegetables with grains all from the storeroom. Just keeping the stuff moving.

We tend to do that in cycles. Use pantry items then we need a change.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #999 on: August 29, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »
Yeah I'm seeing Linguini with Red Clam Sauce in the near future. Linguini is the only thing we have on hand.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #1000 on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:03 PM »
Last night I had popcorn with the popcorn I pulled out of the LTS "treat" bucket a few months ago,  this did well, about 5 lbs in a seal a meal bag, then in a plastic bucket with a gamma seal for 5 years.  Pops just great.  I have also been snacking on the chocolate chips from that bucket, again was a quart bag done in the seal a meal, and in the treat bucket for 5 years.  These were the good, high quality, organic, dark chocolate chips.  They are making a good substitute for not having any dark chocolate bars in the house.  I have not restocked this bucket, I am waiting until the plumbing is done to re-check LTS stores and put away.  I also pulled out some sealed good cocoa powder, but have not opened it yet.

Just now,  I made hot cocoa opening one of the milk-man, low fat envelopes.  It was not at its best buy date yet, but I am out of milk !

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1001 on: September 30, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »
Last night I had popcorn with the popcorn I pulled out of the LTS "treat" bucket a few months ago,  this did well, about 5 lbs in a seal a meal bag, then in a plastic bucket with a gamma seal for 5 years.  Pops just great.  I have also been snacking on the chocolate chips from that bucket, again was a quart bag done in the seal a meal, and in the treat bucket for 5 years.  These were the good, high quality, organic, dark chocolate chips.  They are making a good substitute for not having any dark chocolate bars in the house.  I have not restocked this bucket, I am waiting until the plumbing is done to re-check LTS stores and put away.  I also pulled out some sealed good cocoa powder, but have not opened it yet.

Just now,  I made hot cocoa opening one of the milk-man, low fat envelopes.  It was not at its best buy date yet, but I am out of milk !

That is probably a relief to you to know that the 5 year LT is working out.
Do you have any LT that is older than 5 years?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
That is probably a relief to you to know that the 5 year LT is working out.
Do you have any LT that is older than 5 years?

Yes, there is older. But, most of my LTS is in Mylar with O2 absorbers, then in buckets.  I know that will last.  This is a bucket of 'treats' I added by my LTS.  Seal-a-Meal packaging is not meant to last as long as Mylar, so I need to rotate.  And, it was good to know this lasted at least 5 years.  If I put treats back in that area again, I may do the same, or I may upgrade to 1 gallon mylar pouches in the bucket for at least the popcorn.  The chocolate chips will always need to be rotated, too much fat.  I believe I would always want to rotate cocoa powder too.  If the zombies come, we will have brownies.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1003 on: September 30, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
  If the zombies come, we will have brownies.

Lol. Thats what I told the wife about our 1 can of Mountain house brownie mix.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1004 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Yesterday I cranked out my car trunk tools,  and  used the 12v  soldering iron for the first time.
I repaired the power cable for the external speakers I use for my cellphone  and HT  radio.

Mobile radio coax is still broken,  but it is not possible to fix iit in the  rented room I use.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1005 on: October 29, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
Last night for our supper I made a pulled pork pizza. The only thing I had to buy was cheese. From storage came salsa made with Mrs. Wages' medium mix. This was the sauce. Pulled pork canned in BBQ sauce, flour, yeast, salt, oil. One onion that we already had. It was really quite tasty, the salsa made a good sauce for the pizza.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1006 on: October 29, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
 8)

We need to be rotating dry storage more than we do. Beans, rice etc

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1007 on: October 29, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »
I use the pintos regularly but the navies and blacks have been around nearly a year. Need to get them canned. Rice gets used often also. Beans and rice.  ;D

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #1008 on: November 16, 2018, 03:46:02 PM »
I live in an apartment complex, so we're somewhat limited in what we can do for backup power.

Power went out with no warning and was out from about 10am to 2:30pm.
No microwave :(
Oven has an electronic interface to set the temperature setting, so no oven either.
Stove has an electric starter, but I can also light it with one of those long bbq grill lighters.
Was able to boil water for tea, and also to make up a pouch of Mountain House chili mac.  First time I've actually had freeze dried "instant" food.  I gotta say it was pretty tasty (after I added hot sauce).
Light wasn't a problem, it was daytime and we had some battery powered lanterns for the darker areas of our house.
The power outage was definitely annoying, but even our 5 year old kid did ok.  He likes when the power goes out because I let him watch videos on my phone, and he normally doesn't get to do that.

One thing I'd like to add to our preps is a kettle for hot water, boiling it in a pot works ok, but pouring it is a bit nerve wracking.  We normally use an electric kettle, but I think we should get a non-electric one too.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1009 on: November 16, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
 8)

Times like those are when you realize what else you may need.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1010 on: November 16, 2018, 05:07:20 PM »

Stove has an electric starter, but I can also light it with one of those long bbq grill lighters.

Our stove/cooktop has the sparker thing also. After one of the switches shorted and caught fire. I simply unpluged the stove and have been using a BBQ grill lighter since. Get'em at the Dollar Store. Cost $40 to buy the replacement parts. I've spent maybe $2.00 in several years for the lighter things.

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #1011 on: November 18, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »
We're moving out of the apartment in a few days, our next place has an electric stove.  I hate electric stoves, but love everything else about the place we're moving to.
We have a portable camp stove that I'll use as the backup for cooking in when the power's out, I could've used it this time, but it's packed away in a moving box and kitchen stove worked fine.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: November 28, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
I am recovering from a nasty cold, so like others here I dug into some what dated dehydrated food stocks.  The  Chili & Mac was fine, a rebranded Mountain house can, and a larger pouch of beef stroganoff.    Both styles of food were quite nice, the Chili & Mac turned out a bit better than the beef stroganoff.

While hot sauce would have made it taste better, but would have caused more issues.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1013 on: December 02, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »
Used a lot of my food preps during the Thanksgiving holidays. So now will be restocking a few things. We had green beans, squash, from our garden the summer before last. Used my flour for cakes and rolls that I oven canned about 6 years ago. Now we are busy with Christmas so will be making a pot of navy beans from our stash as well as having quick meals such as soup and speggeti that I have canned over the past 3 years.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #1014 on: December 11, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
We ate quite a bit of our can supply recently, while moving to the new place.
Found great use for my large forging hammers, even though my new forge shop is still not built yet - used them to remove the more solid parts of crappy rubbled concrete that we found after removing linoleum in the kitchen. Today, me and my wife have cleared all the old concrete and brought it outside. 80 buckets of it in total.
My EOD leg armor and tactical gloves are pretty handy for all kinds of work. Hard work provides great opportunity to test your gear.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #1015 on: December 11, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »
We ate quite a bit of our can supply recently, while moving to the new place.
Found great use for my large forging hammers, even though my new forge shop is still not built yet - used them to remove the more solid parts of crappy rubbled concrete that we found after removing linoleum in the kitchen. Today, me and my wife have cleared all the old concrete and brought it outside. 80 buckets of it in total.
My EOD leg armor and tactical gloves are pretty handy for all kinds of work. Hard work provides great opportunity to test your gear.

8) What I really like about the preps is, way less trips to the grocery store. We have it right here, for bad weather, bad times, etc.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #1016 on: Yesterday at 05:32:19 AM »
Had a mixture of home canned pineapple, commercial black beans and farro as sort of a salad or just a good side dish. Wife thought the farro mixture was really good and I love black beans. Have dry and commercial cans on the shelf. I don't really like the commercial stuff except drained and mixed with rice, farro or spelt.

Pineapple and black beans would probably be good with brown or white rice also. Make a "fried rice" type dish with any of the grains.