Author Topic: Pepper spray can - can it "leak" or explode?  (Read 9897 times)

Offline hensensnode

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Pepper spray can - can it "leak" or explode?
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
I just got a can of Inferno pepper spray and I came across a web post from a guy whose can exploded and "nuked" his car, which was very hard to clean afterward. I can't have that happening in my car or house... Is this an incredibly rare occurrence or can it happen from time to time? Are there advised ways to keep such a thing that makes it accessible when needed (I'm thinking, in the car or by the front door or in my bag) and yet will minimize the chances of it leaking?

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Pepper spray can - can it "leak" or explode?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
I'm wondering if the thing was left in direct sunlight and over heated? Hard to answer your question with out more info. Anything with compressed gas in it can be overheated and explode or leak. I left a cigarette lighter on the seat of my car one time and it exploded, ie cracked the container and let the gas and fluid out. :o

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
Yes, they burst. Happens in my circles anyway. I keep mine paracorded above my visor and out of the sun. So far, so good.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:08:09 AM »
I had a can of Inferno leak in my vehicle last summer.  Fortunately I wasn't in the car when it cut loose but when I got back in to go to lunch the effect from the fumes alone, without direct liquid contact, was impressive, and the black pepper had me sneezing like crazy.  I had to run back into work and use the eyewash station, my eyes were burning so bad.  It was stored in an overhead compartment above the rear-view mirror and sprayed down on the center dash, console, and both seats.  It was a bitch to clean, so I've got its replacement in a baggy and a lower compartment to minimize the blast radius if it blows again.

Goatdog62

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
I had a can of Inferno leak in my vehicle last summer.  Fortunately I wasn't in the car when it cut loose but when I got back in to go to lunch the effect from the fumes alone, without direct liquid contact, was impressive, and the black pepper had me sneezing like crazy.  I had to run back into work and use the eyewash station, my eyes were burning so bad.  It was stored in an overhead compartment above the rear-view mirror and sprayed down on the center dash, console, and both seats.  It was a bitch to clean, so I've got its replacement in a baggy and a lower compartment to minimize the blast radius if it blows again.

Forgot to mention that the Sabre and CapStun brands are in conainers that are a little hardier than most over-the-counter pepper sprays. Many agencies issue those brands.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
Anything in a compressed can can explode. I had a pop can blow WHILE I was driving once on a hot day.

I put my bear spray (stouter than normal pepper spray) in a ziplock for added protection.

Cedar

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »
Pepper spray is non-lethal, and all that, yada,yada, yada.

If a can blows in your car while you're driving, you may not be able to make a speedy exit, either because it takes time to stop and get out or because you've already stopped--upside down.

Either way, you may inhale enough to shut your lungs down. You can very definitely die from inhaling pepper spray instead of air.

So can children.

I would not carry the stuff in my car. It's too dangerous.

And as a defensive weapon deployed while in a car, it's also less than optimal.

The target would have more access to fresh air than the defender.

Besides which, about 10% of the time, it's ignored by the target anyway.

A firearm is much safer, and can actually be relied upon in the moment of extreme danger.

Offline tomtom

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
I brought this one. It's not pressurized until you pull the trigger, then you get 2 shots.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »

I put my bear spray (stouter than normal pepper spray) in a ziplock for added protection.

Cedar

I was under the impression that most bear spray was actually not as strong as traditional pepper spray. When I took my bear class the ranger told us its just meant to aggravate the bear into leaving, and real spray would piss it off into fighting. They said a lot of criminals bought it up and was trying to use it in crimes thinking it was all bad ass, and it was minimally effective. Dude could have been a quack though, and this was black bear, I know your probably in griz country.