Author Topic: paracord (550 cord)  (Read 20638 times)

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
Re: paracord (550 cord)
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »
I'll lace up a pair next weekend and see what happens...
How do you tie them? I get that with a lot of shoelaces so just do the standard bow and then knot it again - should work with 550 just fine I'd imagine.

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
Andy - are there plans available for those jigs/boards? that looks handy! 

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
Re: para-cord (550 cord)
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
As for the bootlaces, mine are ALWAYS coming untied with the paracord. Is it just me???

SW

True mil-spec para cord has properties designed into it that resist knotting.  It is meant to be low friction and not bind against itself.  It comes in handy when the deployment bag is pulling the suspension lines from pack tray.  ;)

I've used gutless 550 cord in my jungle boots.  After the 550 cord became "weathered" and "broken in" it held knots much better.

Andy - are there plans available for those jigs/boards? that looks handy!

I watched a You tube video and built mine the same way:

Para Cord Bracelet Fixture Video

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:18 AM »
+1 for you my friend! thanks for pointing the way to the video!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
As for the bootlaces, mine are ALWAYS coming untied with the paracord. Is it just me???

SW
What Andy in NH said - I have a pair of boots and sneakers that are laced with 550 - They tend to slip after a while,.. but I tried the double knot (ever tie kids shoes) the last time I put them on and that seemed to help...  My 'Day Boots' have normal laces for now... I need to get more cord.

Cobra Stitch.  Have you tried to pull that bracelet apart?  That stitch is also called Macrame,..  I made a keychain fob about seven years ago.. I never needed to use the cord,.. but decided to pull it apart about a month ago.  It took me about 45 minutes to dig it apart.

The Cobra Stitch / Macrame is a cool neat and easy knot to tie,.. but hell to pull apart IMO.  I feel it still has use for a number of things,.. but as a quick deploy option.. the Cobra doesn't fit.

He made me this one out of orange reflective para cord with a whistle built into the buckle:

Ok - that buckle is neat..  The whistle adds to the usefulness of the buckle..  Where did you find those?

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
Oh definitely not a fast deploy way of doing it, but it's comfortable and is stable/doesn't bunch up at one end etc.
I remember reading a user review from the 'Survival Straps' paracord bracelet website which sells products using the cobra stitch - this guy said he was boating out on the river or wherever and saw a young girl who had fallen into the water and needed help and how he popped off his Survival Strap gave one end to his buddy and unraveled it as he jumped in to save the girl.  Absolute B.S. - I'm surprised they even published the review

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:43 AM »
Ok - that buckle is neat..  The whistle adds to the usefulness of the buckle..  Where did you find those?

Go to ebay and search for "orange whistle buckle".

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »

SW

Had the same problem. Double knot them and they'll hold.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
At a local gunshow in Denver I saw lots of cool ideas using para cord.  The one i really liked was a small "really small" survival kit bundled up in a ladder weaved key fob about the size of a field mouse.  It included a exacto knife blade, two fish hooks, fishing line, a one inch chunk  of hack saw blade with a small rod used for starting a spark, a piece of heavy tin foil and a small chunk of hot melt glue.  I know this kit can be modified to the users needs.

Goatdog62

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
LOVE that jig! Andy in NH. I still make mine the hard way. Stealing your idea.

Thanks,

Goatdog