Author Topic: Everybody Needs a Slingshot Cannon.  (Read 1722 times)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Everybody Needs a Slingshot Cannon.
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »
Some things you run across on the Internet ya just gotta share.

See http://hackaday.com/tag/weapon/

for the article and video about Jörg Spave and his slingshot cannon.

This guy has come up with all kinds of weird and innovative slingshots, but this one just about takes the cake.

The slingshot, BTW does not fire a 220 lb steel ball.

It's the slingshot that weighs 220 lbs. The shotput it is shown firing could weigh as little as 8.8 lbs or as much as 16 lbs. Chances are it's a 12-pounder, though. That seems to be the most common size.

The 80mm ball it shoots is probably about 5 lbs.

This video is purely a hoot!

Jörg is one of those guys who just knows how to have a good time.

You know, I bet that cannon could be made a lot more mobile by switching over from a field-piece carriage to something more like a wheelbarrow...
I store all my ammunition under my bed. That way I can get to it quickly, and if there's a fire I can escape through the roof.

The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse is an accountant. He will balance your books.

Offline N. Cal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Everybody Needs a Slingshot Cannon.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:47:54 AM »
I really like the wheelbarrow carriage idea.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
Careful, guys - Assault wheelbarrows are something of a touchy subject to some of the old-timers around here.

:crazy:

soupbone
Hey, MARTYRS! Those seventy-two dark eyed virgins waiting for you in Paradise - they're NUNS! With rulers.

Offline IFixTeeth2000

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:15:37 AM »
Careful, guys - Assault wheelbarrows are something of a touchy subject to some of the old-timers around here.

:crazy:

soupbone

Why?  What story did I miss?

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
I wonder how you'd make the switch over to grape canister. 
Amat Victoria Curam

"Revolutions always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions."
   Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

www.101centavos.com

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:12:42 PM »
Why?  What story did I miss?

Couple of years back, this character joins the forum - claimed all sorts of military qualifications and experience, none of which was true. To top it all off, he spoke with the authority of God, and God help you if you disagreed on his choice of tactics or weapons - he could be very insulting and argumentative, and not in a good way. One of his more unusual ideas was the assault wheelbarrow. That and his TEOTWAWKI plan to float down the Mississippi offering his services to the highest bidder.

Turns out he had quite a reputation on other forums. He would join and raise all kinds of hell. Last I heard of him, the cops were looking for him for appropriating some of his ex-wife's firearms. IIRC, he came to my attention on a Stolen Valor thread here. So now, every time someone comes up with a seemingly wildly impractical or downright goofy idea, this character pops into my head.

Not that a slingshot cannon is one of these - I can see applications in a mass rioting situation as a large, non-firearm launcher for smoke grenades, noxious items, rocks, what have you, and the smaller one reminds me of a wine bottle cork launching crossbow that the Quark got on his last trip to France. Needless to say, he and his sister Quirk are enough to insure an excellent supply of ammo..... Matter of fact, it gave me some ideas......

soupbone
Hey, MARTYRS! Those seventy-two dark eyed virgins waiting for you in Paradise - they're NUNS! With rulers.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »
So was he planning on using this concept?

Or was it going to be more like this one?

Did you guys let him know that the mall wanted their ninja back?
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
So was he planning on using this concept?

Did you guys let him know that the mall wanted their ninja back?

Something like the top pic, although IIRC, the ONLY gun you'd EVER need was an M-4. He was "good" enough to use it for anything from squirrels to long range sniping. I was actually sorry to see him go - he provided some serious comic relief.

soup