Poll

When it comes to a fresh kill, what do you guys do with your venison?

Get it packaged and into the freezer ASAP!
Remove the tenderloins and backstraps and, as long as it's cool enough, let it hang for a while.
Take the meat off the carcass and put it on ice.  Drain the blood and water daily for a week or so.
Pay and trust somebody else to take care of it for you.
Who cares, just get that trophy rack to the taxadermist!

Author Topic: Aging Venison  (Read 4041 times)

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
Aging Venison
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »
I've heard different opinions on the matter and wondered what you guys think.  I know a large part of your answer might depend on where you live... so if you post a response, please let us know what state or region you live in. 

For example, a guy in GA isn't likely to have it cold enough to hang a deer without it spoiling, so one buddy I know puts it on ice to let it age.  If you are in Michigan in November, you can hang it out and not worry about it. 

Please share your thoughts. 

endurance

Re: Aging Venison
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »
My first deer I drove straight to the processor and it was still steaming when I drove in for the drop off.  This year my doe hung in the garage for five days before I had the time to process it myself and I have to say, it's the best animal I've ever tasted.  It was October in Colorado, so my garage was a constant 50F or so.  I skinned it the day I shot it as soon as I got it home, so it cooled quickly.

I definitely think it depends on where you live and what the climate is like.  If I shot it in early October when it's still getting into the 70s every day, I would have processed it a lot sooner (or maybe even driven it to the processor if it was an August bow hunting season kill).

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
I've heard different opinions on the matter and wondered what you guys think.  I know a large part of your answer might depend on where you live... so if you post a response, please let us know what state or region you live in. 

For example, a guy in GA isn't likely to have it cold enough to hang a deer without it spoiling, so one buddy I know puts it on ice to let it age.  If you are in Michigan in November, you can hang it out and not worry about it. 

Please share your thoughts.

I've aged deer on ice. It works well but you have to keep the water drained off so that the meet isn't soaking in water.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
I typically will skin it, quarter it, take the back strap an tenderlions and all, place them in a refridgerator for a couple days until I process it further
Ranger Dave

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
Depends on the temperature.
Keep in mind, this is Maine, and we hunt in November(black powder first 2 weeks of December). So, it's usually pretty cool anyway.
As long as the mid-day highs are below the mid 40s, I remove just the tenderloins, not the backstraps, and let it hang. I also like to hang my deer head up. This gives better drainage. Every day I slosh out the ribcage with a bucket of cold water. After 5-7 days I skin it and get to work butchering.
Makes for nice tender steak. ;)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
Depending on the weather we'll process immediately or let it hang. Several of us hang our deer together, and they hang 3-7 days before we butcher the whole group.

Offline rtaz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
i tend to cut the tenderloins  out and eat in  the woods over a small fire. than try to butcher asap.

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
  • If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
I dress and quarter immediately. I then freeze everything except what I can age in the garage fridge. I age each quarter for a couple of weeks, then I trim, cut, and repackage for the freezer. Makes all the difference in the world.

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
Remove tenderlions, but not backstrap.  Then hang for a few days, weather permitting then butcher and vacuum seal.  Usually a few weeks later "scraps" are ground up for hamburger and sausage.