Photobucket

Author Topic: List of things a new prepper should do  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Jon George

• Prepper
List of things a new prepper should do
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
Jack a while back put together a list of basic things a prepper should start with. I lost the list it was made up of about 10 or so things.I remember a few but wanted to see if any one had the full list. I think afew of the items were like cut out 1 thing from your budget. Get some form of seld defence .a source of power or energy.
Thanks for the help.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
Re: List of things a new prepper should do
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
One of my favorite go-to episodes is 483 20 Simple Steps to Basic Preparedness

Step one – keep a food log
Step two – keep a spending log
Step three – perform a risk assessment on your life and geography
Step four – build a basic black out kit
Step five – build a basic first aid kit
Step six – start copy canning
Step seven – cut two expenses, just two of your choosing
Step eight – Build a basic 72 Hour Kit – BOB
Step nine – buy some source of back up power – any source
Step ten – get some source of back up heating
Step eleven – build two 7.5 gallon tubs or four 5 gallon buckets emergency food
Step twelve – store a minimum of 50 gallons of water, more if you can
Step thirteen – acquire a minimum or two emergency radios
Step fourteen – acquire some means of back up communications
Step fifteen – build a basic documentation pack
Step sixteen – build up a 30 day supply or commercial long term storage food for your house hold
Step seventeen – learn at lest 2 methods of food storage
Step eighteen – find a local farmer’s market and visit often, learn about seasonal opportunities
Step nineteen – learn to cook 5 items you have never eaten before with storable items
Step twenty – store up a reasonable amount of COH (cash on hand)
Step twenty-one (bonus) – affirm your right and responsibility to survive

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-483-20-simple-steps-to-basic-preparedness
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
Jon,

Not your list, but I wrote an article entitled "Introduction to Preparedness: an exercise for the absolute beginner" - You can find it at: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22633.msg249474#msg249474.

In the article, I try to cover the beginning steps to take to get you started in prepping.

Maybe this will give you a little more to help you get started.  Also, I look forward to seeing your list - if you find it again, please post it, or at least it's URL.

BTW, Shaunypoo - Thanks for that list, I had not seen/heard that podcast.
ChEng
"Cap'n, she canna take much more of this...  My poor country 'tis startin ta fall apart!"

Offline InsaneSquirrel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
Learn to garden, even if it's just a container plot with a few plants.  It should be done while we have grocery stores for forgiveness.  It' not smart to have to rely on a skill set you have not practiced.  The benefits reach well beyond our (prepper) world. Everything else on that list is super crucial as well.

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
One of my favorite go-to episodes is 483 20 Simple Steps to Basic Preparedness
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-483-20-simple-steps-to-basic-preparedness

Thanks.  That show aired just before I began listening, and somehow I'd missed it.  Planning on listening to it this evening – coincidentally, while working on items 13 & 14!
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline ThePlainsman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
I have been trying to get prepped for some time. I keep creating lists of things to do but then end up losing the list, or only completing part of the items on the list. I'm trying to find a way to organize my preparations so that I more likely to complete them. One problem I have when I create a list, is that I start randomly pulling things out of my head that I should do. The resulting list is a mishmash of things with no organization at all. I decided I need to start with a top-down approach. I want to outline broad categories that need to be addressed, then break each category down into subcategories, and then into individual tasks. Then I want to assign priorities based on the amount of money and time, as well as importance so I can start small and build up as is needed. If it's in my computer, I can't misplace the list. This will also allow me to modify the lists easily as needed.

I sat down this morning and came up with these broad categories. Shelter, food, light, communication, medical, transportation, entertainment, security, buying/barter, records/documents. If anyone can think of other broad categories of that I have missed, please post them. I'm going to try organizing them in an Excel spreadsheet and then have a check off box so I can track my progress. If anyone is interested I will make the spreadsheet available when I have it completed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:04:00 PM by ThePlainsman »
In any survival situation, you should try to keep your friends alive as long as possible. They stay fresh longer that way.   Shane Steinkamp

Offline porkchop

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
On a lighter note, buy a plunger, plumber's helper or whatever you call it in your next of the woods.

When the toilet backs up and you get that feeling in the pit of your stomach like the world is really coming to an end; you'll be glad you've got one.

It's also way too easy to make a SHTF joke here.  :D

Seriously, purchase some hand tools and learn how to use them.  You'll save yourself some money doing simple home repairs for yourself.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
One thing to do for sure is not let yourself get overwhelmed by the perceived task. Remember, one day at a time, make good decisions. There is a ton of very good information on this forum. Plenty to read and study then decide how it applies to your situation and how best to use the resources you have.  ;)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown