Author Topic: What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?  (Read 14127 times)

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »
Sister Wolf pointed out that this subforum exists (yay!), I don't know I hadn't noticed it.

I like to try learn different ways of making stuff, and I think I'm not the only one. Sometimes it is quite hard to find out some technique even exists or to find resources on how to learn it. So, I would like to hear about your favorite techniques, about what techniques you would like to learn and if you have some "here is how to do it"-links, please post them.

And as I made the thread, I guess it is my responsibility to go first :P

Know:
-spinning, knitting, crocheting
-sewing

Want to learn:
- Tatting. I'm currently trying to learn this. These videos were a big help after reading these instructions. Then I found some patterns, got shuttles and gave it a try. First few tries ended in absolute disasters, but after I figured out that I was actually just making knots in thread, and that it mattered which thread was getting knotted I got some decent work done. I also noticed that at least for me, patterns made for needle tatting don't really work with shuttle tatting. I think I make the knots too tight or something like that, because the patterns "pull" where rings are.
-Embroidery. I have tried this earlier, but not with great results. Few weeks ago I saw a really pretty hungarian motif (like this), and got exited again :P
-Kinnasneulonta (I think this is needle binding?). My grandma showed me how to do this when I was a kid, but I have forgotten. I founds some nice videos(in finnish, but I think they show things clearly) about different ways of doing it, I think she has some different way of doing things. I have to ask her to show it to me again :)

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
Re: What techniques you know and what you would like to learn?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:54:48 AM »
On your last one, you might look up nalbinding or nalebinding and see if it's the same thing.

If so, this might help: http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=173

I can sew with a machine and by hand, I can knit a scarf, and I can crochet a chain.  I'd like to be able to knit fancier things and crochet something other than a chain, but unfortunately my wrists and hands start aching when I crochet.

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »
YES, nalebinding/nalbinding is same thing, and it seems to crop up more interesting hits on google than my previous searches, thank you :)

What grip are you using when knitting? I had to learn different way of holding needles to avoid issues with the nerves in my hands, perhaps changing the grip might help you too.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »
YES, nalebinding/nalbinding is same thing, and it seems to crop up more interesting hits on google than my previous searches, thank you :)

What grip are you using when knitting? I had to learn different way of holding needles to avoid issues with the nerves in my hands, perhaps changing the grip might help you too.

There's different grips?  :o

I just grab the needles and go...

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
These videos show couple of different ways and there are even more :) I do continental, but I hold my hands differently than the lady in the video, sort of in the front/top of the thing I'm knitting.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »
never heard of nalebinding.  I wonder if my hands would handle it.  I used to crochet a lot.  love doing it.  but my carpel tunnel has made it impossible to do anymore.

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
I took a class in nalbinding this past spring and made a cute little bag.  I have a few nalbinding needles and plan to reaquaint myself with it again after Christmas.

For those who were wondering ... it is pronounced Nawl Bending

What techniques do I know?

Knitting, crocheting, wheel spinning, spindle spinning, 1-, 2- & 4-harness weaving, weaving without a loom, needle tatting, fiber prep for spinning (taking fresh shorn wool and preparing it for spinning), needle felting, wet felting, dyeing roving, dyeing yarns, embroidery, needle punch embroidery, locker hooking.

What's next??  Perhaps wool rug hooking.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »
I knit, sew, quilt, crochet, do a little beading and embroider.  I've done a little leather work before, but not enough to know what I'm doing.

What would I like to learn?  I think at this point I'm still looking to improve my skills in all of these areas, but especially sewing clothes that actually fit.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
There's different grips?  :o

I just grab the needles and go...

There are two different "schools" of knitting, so to speak:Continental and English (link to youtube video). I knit English because that's how I was taught and my fingers are so used to it that I get frustrated trying to learn a new technique. Maybe I'll make some dishcloths or something where gauge doesn't matter to learn Continental.

Okay, how did I miss this thread the first time through?!

Knitting, crocheting, wheel spinning, spindle spinning, 1-, 2- & 4-harness weaving, weaving without a loom, needle tatting, fiber prep for spinning (taking fresh shorn wool and preparing it for spinning), needle felting, wet felting, dyeing roving, dyeing yarns, embroidery, needle punch embroidery, locker hooking.

This is where I hope to be someday. I'm an experienced knitter, a mediocre crocheter, a newbie weaver and spinner, and I've done a smattering of other things (embroidery, yarn dyeing, needle felting, sewing). I would love to learn more about dyeing and fiber prep, but don't currently have the proper home facilities for it. I kind of would love to have my own yarn shop someday...or maybe a "fiber farm"...or maybe a hand-dyeing business, I'm not sure yet. My long-term dreams depend on my mood at the time ;)

Offline FireMommy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Fire Wife Life
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:47:54 AM »
As I posted in another thread on needle skills, Wow, what an amazing collection of skills!  I have next to none of these skills, but I'm homeschooling my three daughters and I really want to make an assortment of these skills a part of our weekly lessons.  I do cross-stitch and can hand-sew items to repair them.  I have a sewing machine and know how to thread and use it, but I have no idea how to figure out sewing patterns. 

One of my daughter's and I both really want alpacas in the future, but I won't get them without learning the skills of using the wool.  So...with that being said, I would truly appreciate any helpful info any of you have about where I might be able to start learning some skills.  One of my daughter's is particularly interested in crocheting and the other in spinning. I would love to learn any and all of these skills with them, but I have no idea where to start.  Any information you can lend, or just pointing me in the right direction of some great tutorials, would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you SO much!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
So...with that being said, I would truly appreciate any helpful info any of you have about where I might be able to start learning some skills.  One of my daughter's is particularly interested in crocheting and the other in spinning. I would love to learn any and all of these skills with them, but I have no idea where to start.  Any information you can lend, or just pointing me in the right direction of some great tutorials, would be greatly appreciated.

As far as knitting and crocheting go, Youtube has been a HUGE help.  Different people have different ways of teaching, and you can find one you're comfortable with.  Pause when you want, go back to something you missed - it makes it so much simpler than trying to read written instructions or determine what moves to make from a line drawing.

Also, http://www.knittinghelp.com/ is a great resource for beginners.  Really good quality videos with great explanations for what they're doing.

As far as sewing with patterns, I would get a book from the library or do a whole lot of Googling, then start out with a simple pattern.  Make sure you look at the size chart on the back of the pattern because sewing pattern sizes are VERY different from the sizes you might buy in a store.  For instance, I wear a 12 or 14 in jeans that I buy, but I'm closer to an 18 or so in sewing patterns.

Buy a package of assorted needles (for different types of fabrics - don't forget to change them when they wear out), a seam ripper and a good pair of sewing scissors, and don't let anyone use them for anything else.  You're basically pinning the pattern to the fabric according to the instructions included in the package, then cutting along the lines for the size you chose.  If you pick one of the major pattern companies, the directions are pretty good usually.  Then don't be hard on yourself when you make mistakes.  We all do.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
One of my daughter's and I both really want alpacas in the future, but I won't get them without learning the skills of using the wool.  So...with that being said, I would truly appreciate any helpful info any of you have about where I might be able to start learning some skills.  One of my daughter's is particularly interested in crocheting and the other in spinning. I would love to learn any and all of these skills with them, but I have no idea where to start.  Any information you can lend, or just pointing me in the right direction of some great tutorials, would be greatly appreciated. 

See if there is an alpaca farm near you that has open farm days or something similar. A farm near me has an annual shearing day that is open to the public, and I've learned quite a bit just going to those the last couple of years. Just talking to some farmers is likely enough to get you pointed in the right direction, and will help you build community connections.

As far as learning new skills goes, the internet is an excellent and overwhelming resource. Start by checking out some online sources, but then check out a local yarn shop. The employees are usually very knowledgable and are trained to assist customers of various skill levels. They will probably try to steer you towards taking a class, and honestly it really can be the best way to learn the absolute basics if you're starting from scratch. Nothing is better than having a live human that can answer your questions (and figure out exactly where you're having trouble, in some cases, while an online tutorial or book may not have that). See if they have any open knit/crochet/spin/sew nights you can start attending (this will also help you meet fellow yarn fiends in the community).

Offline FireMommy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Fire Wife Life
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:22:32 AM »
Thank you SO much RitaRose and AvenueQ!  I will definitely check out the internet first, since I can do that right now.  I use the internet for a ton of research and info, but I honestly never thought of finding how-to tutorials with crafting stuff.  This is great!  I'm going to start checking out some of these now, so my daughter and I can try out her new yarn and crochet hook her grandmother just bought her. 

And I will look into the Alpaca farms having days open to the public.  We don't have any farms near us, but a state away I know there are a couple.  It could be a good field trip drive for the education we'd get there.  Shearing seems like the most intimidating part to me too, so being able to see it performed would be perfect. 

Thanks again for your help and ideas!

Offline dantesrebellion

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »
Truly happy that I happened to stumble across this subforum. Started out watching my mother crochet anything from doilies to blankets. Forgot about it as the years went by. I'm one that has to have a project of some sort going on all the time. Idle hands and all that. So after I made my first few hammocks and learned that you can't take that with you as a portable project when there is a bit of free time, I decided to downgrade the size of things. Knitting seemed to be the most widely available and my secret desire to have warm, well fitting socks. After that I was hooked. Socks, gloves, scarves, hats, more hats, and more hats. (I'll never again question my wife's need for all of her boots and horse tack, I now understand.)

Know:
Knitting - Thanks to youtube and assorted books ie Knitting for Dummies
Crochet - Took my mother about an hour to teach me the basics

Want to know:
Getting curious about spinning just from reading the posts here.
Need a lot more practice reading the charts.
Everything I've done so far has been based on texture and stitch design, so eventually going to have to learn how to work with different colors to build designs.
Weaving - as soon as I get around to building a loom.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
Truly happy that I happened to stumble across this subforum. Started out watching my mother crochet anything from doilies to blankets. Forgot about it as the years went by. I'm one that has to have a project of some sort going on all the time. Idle hands and all that. So after I made my first few hammocks and learned that you can't take that with you as a portable project when there is a bit of free time, I decided to downgrade the size of things. Knitting seemed to be the most widely available and my secret desire to have warm, well fitting socks. After that I was hooked. Socks, gloves, scarves, hats, more hats, and more hats. (I'll never again question my wife's need for all of her boots and horse tack, I now understand.)

Know:
Knitting - Thanks to youtube and assorted books ie Knitting for Dummies
Crochet - Took my mother about an hour to teach me the basics

Want to know:
Getting curious about spinning just from reading the posts here.
Need a lot more practice reading the charts.
Everything I've done so far has been based on texture and stitch design, so eventually going to have to learn how to work with different colors to build designs.
Weaving - as soon as I get around to building a loom.

I have a feeling that weaving is going to be the next big "thing".  I've seen a lot more of it lately.

And knitting charts still scare me, except for things like colorwork.  Then it makes sense to me.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
Charts are easy! If anyone has trouble with a knitting chart, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to explain it.

Spinning is also making a comeback. Us youngun's are not as rare a breed as we used to be ;)

Offline dantesrebellion

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
Most of the patterns that I follow are just written out. Probably should not have looked at cable charts as an intro into learning how to follow them. They remind me of computer programming code, I look at it and my eyes start to cross. At which point I put it down and back away slowly.

Weaving looks like it would be fun. The sewing that would follow is still another skill I need to learn. Right now it looks horrible anytime I try to sew anything together.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Weaving looks like it would be fun.

Start with an Inkle Loom to get the basics on.

Cedar

Offline dantesrebellion

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »
Start with an Inkle Loom to get the basics on.

Thanks for the input Cedar. I'm certainly going to look into that.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

This was made on an inkle loom.

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
Cedar, that's gorgeous.

Crap.  And I've got a tax refund burning a hole in my bank account.  I'm supposed to be catching up on bills but...

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 10:31:17 AM »
Okay, so I looked and an inkle loom was interesting, but I also saw some heddle looms, and it looked like you could do more on them.  But I have no clue what I'm talking about, the heddle looms just looked wider/bigger.

Thoughts?

Offline dantesrebellion

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
Wow that really is amazing. How wide can you reasonably get with an Inkle loom? Haven't seen that covered in any of the youtube video's i've watched so far.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
I build my inkle looms and have done articles on how to build, warp and 'run' them. You can build an inkle loom for what it will cost you in screws, scrap wood and 1 dowel.

However wide you can make them is how wide it will be..

and they are a heddle loom. Most of them are which are not tapestry looms.

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »
Ah.  Looks like I'll be going to the library this weekend.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
Things I know and do pretty regularly/well:  Knitting & Sewing

Things I know how to do but rarely do:  Needlepoint, cross-stitch, basic embroidery, some braiding (Komihimo & basic "friendship bracelet" types)

Things I'd like to learn:  Improve knitting (Intarsia), weaving (although I probably won't have time to tackle that for a long time)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
Okay, so I looked and an inkle loom was interesting, but I also saw some heddle looms, and it looked like you could do more on them.  But I have no clue what I'm talking about, the heddle looms just looked wider/bigger.

Thoughts?

Most Rigid Heddle Looms will come in widths varying from 13" up to about 25", depending on the brand. I have a 20" foldable loom with a stand. I have used a 25" loom and found it was a bit too cumbersome. I have (so far) made scarves and placemats easily on my 20" loom, the only thing I really couldn't do would be a thick rug or blanket. Inkle looms, from my understanding, are more suited to long, skinny things like belts and small scarves.

An inkle loom can be an inexpensive "gateway" option for weaving, so to speak. I chose to skip it and go straight for the hard stuff ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
An inkle loom can be an inexpensive "gateway" option for weaving, so to speak. I chose to skip it and go straight for the hard stuff ;)

But not as handy to haul to SCA events  ;D

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
Hmm.  You guys are really enablers...

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »

This was made on an inkle loom.

Cedar

Cedar! Those are really, really lovely!