Author Topic: black friday survival stories  (Read 18204 times)

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
black friday survival stories
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
Let's hear all the stories lived to get that good deal, lol

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
Re: black friday survival stories
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
Stay home, lock the door, arm yourself and pray for it to be over!

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:53 PM »
Black Friday?  I haven't done one in decades, not my idea of fun and safety. 

I will most likely take advantage of the Shelf Reliance and Emergency Essentials online sale's, though.  Does the madness of "Don't click Payment twice" count???

~TG

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
I went shopping on Black Friday one time. The store I went to was JoAnn's Fabric Shop. I have never seen women fight, push & shove over a bolt of fabric. I purchased what I wanted at rock bottom prices but will never do it again.

amanadoo

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
NOT worth it, ever. Like *I guess* if I needed something big....a computer maybe or something like that....I might think about it. But it will be past the foreseeable future, and I will regret it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:17:23 AM »
I went shopping on Black Friday one time. The store I went to was JoAnn's Fabric Shop. I have never seen women fight, push & shove over a bolt of fabric. I purchased what I wanted at rock bottom prices but will never do it again.

uh oh... that is the store I was going to hit in the morning....  maybe not?

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
I sat outside bestbuy in st louis for 4 hours last night it was about 40 degrees and windy, I was so cold I think I had frostbite on my ........  we got everything we wanted except one thing. I think I learned a little about survival though. I was so cold, so hungry, and so tired I learned. We saved about $700. By sitting out there so I guess it was worth it , but the only reason I went was because my wife wanted me to and I did it because it was important to her. I thought it was crazy to but my wife actually thinks it fun. Lol , I would do anything for her !!!!!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
I sat outside bestbuy in st louis for 4 hours last night it was about 40 degrees and windy, I was so cold I think I had frostbite on my ........  we got everything we wanted except one thing. I think I learned a little about survival though. I was so cold, so hungry, and so tired I learned. We saved about $700. By sitting out there so I guess it was worth it , but the only reason I went was because my wife wanted me to and I did it because it was important to her. I thought it was crazy to but my wife actually thinks it fun. Lol , I would do anything for her !!!!!

eddie, I hope she appreciates you.  you sound like a good hubby.

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
Thank you morning sunshine, i try everyday to help make her life a little better, so if me sitting out there freezing for 4 hours makes her happy then i would do it everyday withought much complaning a little maybe just to agrevate her to keep it playful, lol

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
It was like an over crowded cattle corral...one guy bumped into me all.hard and I said I'm sorry he said sure you stupid......starts with a C..he was going after these huge nice memory foam pads..I didn't really need one as I have a mountain of them on my bed but it was marked from 100$ to 25$!!! By the time me and this wonderful person got close enough only one was left..he was reaching over and into the bin to get it.. I'm a small person..I dropped down and grabbed it quickly through the bottom slots... And when his face got red I said sorry male genital I'm a fast little C word hahaha...and quickly let myself get swallowed in the crowd..may not have been the most grown up thing in the world..but hey he had it coming! I also got some good quality learning games and toys for the kids Christmas shopping all done for the whole family and two 7 quart crock pots with clamp down lids for 10$ a piece! All in all we spent 350$ but had three carts full and saved about 450$..

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
OMG, Fromscratchwoman, +1 for the best comeback I've heard in a long time. He had it coming. Laughed sooo hard.

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
Awsome scratchwoman, how about the line jumpers ? If people will act this ignorant over getting a good deal then what will it be like when there are lines of starving people, its a scarry thought isn't it ?

Offline kdc502

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
. . . only reason I went was because my wife wanted me to and I did it because it was important to her. I thought it was crazy to but my wife actually thinks it fun. Lol , I would do anything for her !!!!!

+1.  I think you should change your name to SmartEddie.  8-)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »
Stayed home most of the day. Headed into work at 6pm. I did buy some stuff on ebay though. :)

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »
If you have ever wondered what some people will act like when the balloon goes up, watch some of these morons on Black Friday.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
If you have ever wondered what some people will act like when the balloon goes up, watch some of these morons on Black Friday.

yeah, cuz the stuff they are buying on black friday is, in the end, just stuff.  when they are looking for food for themselves or their children (although, honestly, as selfish as people are these days, I kind of wonder how much of "for the children" is just an excuse for themselves....) they may be even worse.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
yeah, cuz the stuff they are buying on black friday is, in the end, just stuff.  when they are looking for food for themselves or their children (although, honestly, as selfish as people are these days, I kind of wonder how much of "for the children" is just an excuse for themselves....) they may be even worse.

1+ for that, it was crazy I don't and didn't enjoy it but It's the only time of year for me when I can afford to get everyone in the family one gift and make the kids happy with presents under the tree..some people I think is south Carolina? Broke out in a riot over 10$ waffle makers! We went to a HUGE super center and had to park two fast food places away as every spot was taken..funny on the way home around 3am the line for a jack in the box was about three blocks long! Quality family time at Walmart then a good traditional turkey day dinner at jack in the box Hahahaa!

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
My teenage daughter wanted to spend her birthday money on the Wal Mart xbox deal and then we also.found a great deal on an hdtv way better than I've been able to find in a whole year looking for a used one on Craigslist.

100 channels of nothing looks much nicer Lmfao.

And seeing the $200 hdtvs and $200 xboxes on Craigslist for $400 and $300 respectively made me laugh my ass off. They were posting the ads while my girlfriend was waiting in line for the tv.

I felt dumb caving in to buy a tv but we already had all the hd channels and already run YouTube and whatever other online streams so we figured if money gets too tight we can sell it for a tad more than we paid for it. And anything to keep my teenage daughter out of my hair is worth it too!

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 11:22:07 AM »
A bunch of women here got into a fist fight at Victoria's Secret over some underwear... So that is the only reason so far that I'd ever want to leave the house on Black Friday.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
A bunch of women here got into a fist fight at Victoria's Secret over some underwear... So that is the only reason so far that I'd ever want to leave the house on Black Friday.
:rofl:

Offline fasteddie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 04:15:02 AM »
Smart eddie that is cute, I like it thank you.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »
I begin to wander back out into society sometime during the weekend but stay at home to watch movies and snack on leftovers, occasionally flipping over to the news to see how people were trampled and hospitalized when Wal-Mart employees opened a new case of marked down movies on DVD, and how ten other people were treated by a nearby ambulance when a woman broke out the pepper spray to "increase her chances" of getting to the table with the item she wanted.

That is how my wife and I survive black Friday.

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
I usually hit one or two of the tier 2-3 stores on Black Friday. Usually you only have the crazies at tier 1 stores. (Best Buy and Walmart) My wife needed a new cell phone and since we do prepaid via Virgin Mobile I found the phone she wants at 50% off at both Best Buy and Radio Shack. Since we have 5-6 Radio Shacks in town I figured it shouldn't be a big deal to pop in a half hour before the store opening to get what I want.

My plan worked out great; got the phone for $100 instead of $200 and a $60 pair of earbuds for $25 for waiting outside for a half hour playing games on my phone and listening to Paul Wheaton's podcast. The only drawback was that the store's crew knew very little (Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got blank stares) so the lines were very disorganized and it took forever to get the older gentlemen running the register to ring up my sale correctly. All in all the hour spent was well worth the $135 discount.

Later that day (1pm) I also stopped by GameStop and got 3 used PS2 games for my boy for $10 total. He's been playing LEGO Star Wars ever since.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
I scanned all the local adds and and checked it against my "need to buy" list....so I figured I would go to work versus messing with the folks fighting over "stuff".  I guess I just rather have the money going into my bank account versus going out of it.

I did poke my head into CostCo picked up a few items and promptly said - useful items but not on the list so I set them back down.

annestacey

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
I made a quick run to the beer store that got me into a traffic jam because of all the money-spending crazies out there.  I got my beer, went home and stayed there the rest of the day.  Not sure I could deal with SHTF if I can't even handle black Friday. 

:-[

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
My girlfriend took my daughter to black friday because well... 2 weeks ago i was detained by the police and banned from a grocery store for life when I finally got sick of a couple who's kids were out of control screaming at the top of their lungs all kinds of obscenities and getting in everyone's way for 45 minutes when i yelled to the mother "tell your kids to shut the f up and how to behave in public" when the manager of the store would not do anything even though all the customers were complaining.

Everyone clapped and cheered when I did it and the store manager called the police and tried to have me arrested and since I broke no law I am banned for life instead.

Black friday? I would have killed someone.

annestacey

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
My girlfriend took my daughter to black friday because well... 2 weeks ago i was detained by the police and banned from a grocery store for life when I finally got sick of a couple who's kids were out of control screaming at the top of their lungs all kinds of obscenities and getting in everyone's way for 45 minutes when i yelled to the mother "tell your kids to shut the f up and how to behave in public" when the manager of the store would not do anything even though all the customers were complaining.

Everyone clapped and cheered when I did it and the store manager called the police and tried to have me arrested and since I broke no law I am banned for life instead.

Black friday? I would have killed someone.

OMG.  This is a sign of what our society is becoming when a store manager will side with a bad customer because the 'customer is always right' BS.   I swear I would have done the same as you.  I cannot tolerate stupid people or screaming kids.  And they would have arrested me for throwing toilet paper at em too.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
LMFAO — yeah the police "detained" me. I literally yelled at this woman as I was walking out the door after having paid. NORMALLY I would keep my mouth shut but we are under so much stress right now and I had just gotten into a HUGE fight with my inconsiderate 16 year old daughter so I was already wound up.

But yeah, the police "let me go" because they could not charge me with anything. But I am banned from that grocery store for life and they told me I would be arrested for trespassing if I ever come back.

EVERYONE in the store who saw me tell off this woman INCLUDING EMPLOYEES who I had asked to do say something to them CLAPPED when I did it. The store employees were sick of them.

I had LITERALLY gone to the OPPOSITE CORNER of the grocery store from them so I could concentrate without their screaming kids (and so did a ton of other people) — and you could STILL HEAR THEM SCREAMING at their parents "F-You you F-ing B" and everything else you could imagine coming out of the mouths of 2 ten year olds (who were in the stroller "racecar" shopping carts LMFAO).

The only worse child I've ever seen in my LIFE was when I saw some rich beyotch in Shadyside wheeling a 12 year old boy in a stroller who wanted something and his mom said no so he yelled to her "F YOU — YOU MOTHER F-ING C! I HOPE YOU DIE!" so loud that the entire crowd at the arts festival turned their heads and went SILENT. Then he turned around and started hitting his mother.

The stupid rich woman just laughed at him and patted him on the head — and then gave him what he wanted.

My friends and I (I had a friend who had a photography booth and was hanging out with them) just sat there in total shock (as did the entire crowd of 200+ who witnessed this).

These parents were the same way. Just acting as if this is normal and acceptable behavior.

When I was talking to the cashier to get a manager at the grocery store HE COULD NOT even focus on ringing me up because these kids (who were 5 aisles away) were SCREAMING SO LOUD. They were pulling things off the shelves and laughing about it as their parents would bend over and pick them up...

All I said to the cop before he left was "I hope you got the names of those kids because I am sure you are going to know them VERY well over the next few years" before I took my ID and drove off.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
Holly crap what stories!  We don't go blk fri shopping did it once years and years ago.  I was trampled after my face was smashed up against the store doors.  That was all caused by my own MIL she said I was small now get up front to get in first.  Seeing all those people go crazy no thanks I will stay home.   

But then curiosity got the best of me and I looked up what Costal Farm and Ranch had on sale.  Oops.  Had to go out and buy fencing. saved $40 per roll! :happydance:  We have several acres to fence so it was worth it.

The parking lot was full and we had to drive around a bit until we got a spot.  That was making me nervous.  Inside all was calm and the line moved so fast.  If you can call 4 people ahead of you a line.  So if we go out again next year I guess Costal would be ok.  Those other places forget it.  But I do like more practical type gifts if we are giving gifts.  Hubby has learned to make up after a argument forget the dozen roses I'd rather have a dozen 2x4's. For other gifts Forget the diamond earrings I rather have a new drill or chain saw or gun or… 

annestacey

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
I've read about some stores and restaurants actually making a stand against unruly customers such as tossing them out, banning them and even displaying signs that certain people are not permitted in their establishment.  How can a manager tolerate the unruly customers yet toss out and ban their good customers for standing up and doing what's right.  There is something very wrong with that.

I would have videotaped them with my cellphone and posted it all over the internet and then call the local TV station and send it to them too.   I had an upstairs neighbor a few years ago who would get into knock-down drag-out fights with her BF.  The next time I saw her and she was all friendly to me, I said I had been recording her fights and posting them online (I really had not done any such thing).  The fighting STOPPED.  Probably wasn't a good idea because she could have punched me but I already felt I knew what kind of person she was and thought this strategy might work (which it did).  If she had been a real jerk, I wouldn't have said anything.

I stopped doing Christmas about 15 years ago and have never regretted it.  To me it's just people spending money on stuff they don't need anyway.  I refuse to participate in the commercialism of it.   And in this economy, people need to be SAVING their money, not spending it.  I prefer to just look at my neighbors decorations and enjoy that.

I just think our society is getting more and more violent and people don't care anymore... they have no moral values at all.  I'm glad you took a stand and I bet if you went back to that store, they wouldn't make you leave.   But if they DID... make sure you videotape the incident and post it all over the internet.... LOL.