Author Topic: HOW to start Hog Hunting?  (Read 3742 times)

Possenti2264

HOW to start Hog Hunting?
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I was not raised to hunt.  I have very little experience actually hunting, but hogs are a big problem here and we can hunt them year 'round. 

So my question is HOW does one hunt them?  What time of day?  What lures them?  Can I shoot hem with a rifled 12ga slug through a smooth bore shotgun? 

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: HOW to start Hog Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »
Heck, man, a .22 will kill them dead as anything!  Your profile says you're in LA, so this should be relatively easy. 

Go get a cheap intermediate-round rifle like an SKS (my fave, but darn near anything will do), a game feeder, a bright flashlight, a red or green lens for said light, deer corn, sugar, yeast, and a sharp knife. 

1. Plant the feeder in a area you're safe to shoot into, and quite a ways from dogs and houses and such.  Fill with corn, and get it going. 
2. Take a 5-gallon bucket of corn and sugar, add in a bunch of water, and pitch the yeast.  Allow to get skunky and nasty.
3. Once skunky and nasty, dump about half the bucket corn under the feeder.  If you haven't attracted them already, this crap will. 
4. Decide which night you want to hunt.  Ferral pigs are primarily nocturnal (at least here they are), but will go out in daylight hours.
5. Stalk, I said STALK out to your stand/shooting spot, and wait for them to come in.  They are relatively unpredictable, and may already be there, so don't go spooking them!!
6. If they come in after dark, take the light and shine it up into the sky.  Slowly bring it down on them, and shoot away in order from the tastiest to the least delicious. 
7. Stay put.  Once they scatter, it's common for them to wander back after a bit to eat the corn all around their dead compadres.  Heartless creatures!!  ;D

Here's a good resource for pig kill-zones: http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html.  A round down the ear canal does the trick too! 

ETA: Don't over think it, like most people do with deer.  Don't need any fancy camo, or weaponry the SEALS would be jealous of.  A solid, cheap rifle.  Darker/earth-tone clothing.  Hankering to brine your own bacon.  That's about all you'll need!

Happy hunting!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:08:46 PM by bdhutier »

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »
I've been tossing the idea of setting up a gravity type feeder that will be good for months at a time due to the fact that the area I hunt is a distance from me. Is this what you would recommend for getting the hogs to start coming into an area they wouldn't normal go? I know they're in the area but I have never seen them or evidence of them.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:13 PM »
I trapped hogs years ago lots of hogs. i used cracked corn and skunked beer i asked the liquir store to save me cage beer ,they would drain out the kegs to lighten them up.