Author Topic: ammo storage question  (Read 5880 times)

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
ammo storage question
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:18 AM »
anyone know a good way to seal out moisture out of rifle rounds ?i see some kind of red coating on military surplus rounds and was wondering what it was .thanks

jeff

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: ammo storage question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:46:19 AM »
I use nail polish on the primers and around the neck where the bullet is seated if I want to make sure they are waterproofed. I use clear but have seen people use all sorts of colors. Don't spread it on too thick, most ammo is pretty well secure from moisture as everything should be (if reloaded correctly) should be nice and tight.

Offline TANK

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
Varnish will work as well, just don't put it on too heavy.

Happy reloading
Tank

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
thanks guys i was thinking those were the 2 things i could do .i just wanted to know for sure .  ;D

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »
+1 on nail polish, but remember, light coat.  I bought a commercial product from Midway years ago, I can't prove it but I think it was nail polish.  :)

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »
+1 on nail polish, but remember, light coat.  I bought a commercial product from Midway years ago, I can't prove it but I think it was nail polish.  :)

lol! it probably was , anyway to make a buck you know

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:08 PM »

Can't remember the name, but Midway and several others sold a light-blue lacquer for sealing rounds.

HOWEVER. . . if your rounds are loaded properly, there's very little chance of them being damaged by moisture, unless they're sitting in pools of water.  Pressing the primers in and crimping the casemouth makes them pretty darn water/moisture-tight.  I'd just store them, if possible, with a hygroscopic and you should be more than fine.

I'm always concerned with adding things to ammunition that may gunk up the works, especially on a semi-auto.

Just sayin'

The Professor

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Professor
i was thinking of caching some of them underground , so i figured the more water resistant the better .maybe i dont need to worry so much i was just worried about what if the container leaked .

Jeff

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 02:34:06 AM »
-What about storage in a very well built shed?
-I'm planning on putting a reloading station in the shed, and possible the bulk of my ammo storage as I build it up. The shed is very sturdy and (i believe) watertight (recently moved, not sure yet).
- it is not insulated, so there is a fairly wide temperature fluctuation between the seasons

suggestions?

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 02:51:47 AM »
-What about storage in a very well built shed?
-I'm planning on putting a reloading station in the shed, and possible the bulk of my ammo storage as I build it up. The shed is very sturdy and (i believe) watertight (recently moved, not sure yet).
- it is not insulated, so there is a fairly wide temperature fluctuation between the seasons

suggestions?

Not sure the cold will do anything to ammo or components. Heat and moisture will ruin them though. I live in Texas so during the summer it gets pretty damn hot, have always kept my powder, primers, and ammo in a closet inside the house and have never had any problems. Brass and bullets wouldn't have much trouble living in the shed, but everything else would degrade in the heat over time.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »
I've used clear nail polish in the past.
This was thinned 50-50 with pure acetone.
(There is oil in fingernail polish remover... Stay with pure acetone from a hardware store)

For long term underground storage, you might consider putting the ammunition into Zip-Lock freezer bags.
Put a small desiccant pack from a medicine bottle, etc. in each bag.
Put bags of ammunition into Military Ammo Cans, again with a desiccant pack.
Thin window sealent with a suitable thinner and spray all over the can to prevent rust.

PVC pipe can be substituted for the ammo can.

My 2 Cents

Steve

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Our local Cabela's carries primer sealer or any of the major online retailers carry it.  I've never bothered using it.  I figure quality factory ammo as is would be fine. 

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
I think it's all a waste of time.  I have a decent supply of ammo that I rotate through about every ten years.  Everything gets used before it's too old.  I feel like it's a good practice to keep skills proficient and I'm not trying to save ammo for my grandchildren or archeologist. 

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
I think it's all a waste of time.  I have a decent supply of ammo that I rotate through about every ten years.  Everything gets used before it's too old.  I feel like it's a good practice to keep skills proficient and I'm not trying to save ammo for my grandchildren or archeologist. 

That's a great way to put it.

After all, there'll never be a time when you can't get new ammo.  It'll never be scarce, it'll never be banned. Our government would NEVER consider the possibility of even just banning only military calibers, let alone all firearms, ammo, reloading equipment, etc.

That simply can never happen here.

Hell, no one will ever even think about taxing ammunition so that the resulting price is so  high as to make the purchase of even one box of ammo ridiculously expensive.

It IS all a waste of time. . .it can never happen here..

The Professor

Oh, and yes, SCREW the grandkids!!!  Let the little whippersnappers get their own ammo!!!  Me?  I'm taking my guns and ammo with me!   It's going right in my VERY large coffin. 

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »
If you're looking at long term storage, just put it in mylar with an O2 absorber and seal up the bag.