Author Topic: Marathon...Still true to their word  (Read 1344 times)

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
Marathon...Still true to their word
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
So I recently had to have my Marathon Chronograph Search and Rescue (CSAR) watch http://www.marathonwatch.com/products/item/marathon-chronograph-pilot-watch-CSAR/ serviced. After two deployments overseas combined with daily wear and use, I looked down one morning at the office to find one of the illumination markings was simply gone! With the surface scratches I thought it might be time for a call to Marathon's Customer Service.

I'm a bit of a watch buff and my absolute favorite for daily wear is my CSAR. However, given the state of the economy I feared expensive watch repairs would not be high on the household list of expenses. So I contacted the folks over at Marathon to discuss the terms of my CSAR's warrantee, as each watch offers different terms on service. The folks were real friendly and sent me simple instructions on how to return my timepiece to the manufacturer. They had to send it all the way back to Switzerland for a complete rebuild to the watch, but two months later I got the CSAR back and was happy as a clam. I contacted Marathon and thanked them again for their service, and I've been totally pleased in dealing with them directly. Marathon is a small family-owned business that focuses on police, emergency service, and military so they’re always pleased to hear your views on their products.  The watch looks great and I was actually starting to really miss the feel of the CSARs weight as I find other mechanical watches too dainty...

Just in case you're wondering the CSAR features an ETA Valjoux 7750 Mechanical Instrument (the same device found in high-end Breitling or Rolex), it represents the moderately high-end of tactically produced watches. Constructed from surgical grade 316L stainless steel with a watertight screw-down crown and chronograph pushers, the watch also has a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal face, providing easy to read day and date at the standard 3 o’clock setting. The bezel is a uni-directional dial covering 60 minutes and matches the matte black of the watch background for ease of reading. The chronograph readout has three sub-registers measuring 60-second, 30-minute, and 12-hour increments. Because it features automatic winding at 28,000 balance wheel oscillations an hour, the CSAR is capable of sustaining a 42-hour power reserve, provided it is fully wound and left flat (you'd be surprised but with mechanical watches if their on their side it effects their power reserve). For night illumination, the CSAR has Tritium gas-filled tubes on the minute and hour hands and “superluminova” paint on the bezel, sub-dials, and on the tip of the center-second hand. The CSAR is submersible up to 300 meters, provided you don’t unscrew the crown or pushers.

If your interested Marathon offers a number of other watches to include the longstanding SAR that I've also used and thought were great watches. But overall I've been tremendously pleased with Marathon and their continued customer service.

edited by F_M as directed by the OP
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:19:50 PM by fritz_monroe »