Author Topic: Zone 7 permaculture newbie looking for advice  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Antowas

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Zone 7 permaculture newbie looking for advice
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:28:45 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been listening for about a year and tried growing some of the heirloom plants that Jack talks about on the podcasts with great success.  I have been looking at overhauling my yard in some places so I can make it feed me.  I have plans to put in some hugelkultur beds and perhaps an herb spiral this year, but wanted to know what people suggest.  I've got nothing but red clay and rocks to plant in.  Any suggestions as to what to plant for a zone 7 start up?  I would like some shrubs that will feed me too.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Zone 7 permaculture newbie looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
So glad to hear you have had success.   ;D   Love the idea of having your yard feed you.  That way it gives back instead of water mow fert repeat money out energy out.  This way you will get energy out and energy in money out money in.  In the best case more will come in to you than go out. 

I would love to help out but not really sure what you are looking for.  Name of plants to plant?  Zone 7 hardiness zone where you live or permaculture zone.  What herbs to plant in your spiral or bushes for food?  How to help out rocky clay soil? 

Here is my stab at it soil amend with a combo of sand compost maybe some peat moss manure start your own compost pile 

Herbs plant what you like to eat or turn in to tea.  Most herbs don't like to have their feet wet but can stand poor soil.  I like the song herbs parsley sage rosemary and thyme also oregano chives cilantro I use basil the most fennel and diil oh mints oh chamomile oh just plant what ever you can find.  Can you tell I am crazy over herbs.  I just can't get enough.  They grow so easy smell so good and have so many uses.

bushes for food besides berries I am not so sure what to tell you not familiar with much .   Space wise maybe not really a "bush" but bushy artichoke or asparagus.  I guess the main this is you really should plant what you like to eat.

When I go grocery shopping I put every thing I could do myself through the check out firs then ask the clerk to hit sub total.  I keep the receipts and go over them.  The most expensive items I circle and then I tally the most often bought items.  That gives me a starting list as to what to grow or produce first. 

In our case meat and eggs are number one in cost and most frequently purchased the greens and tomatoes.  So to save money I started a smaller garden of salad greens and planted a gob of tomatoes then focused all energy and monies on meat production. 

That is how I came up with my starting out list.  I know it might be crazy but it worked for me.  I can't think straight when I get looking at garden book / catalogs seed packets or lord a nursery.  My eyes glaze over and I can't hear people talking to me.  I am so addicted to that stuff I loose all concept of reality and it would be nothing for me to blow tons of $$$ just because.   Hubby has to go to the store with me and hold my hand and then we shop off the list. 

Good luck wish I could have been more helpful.

Offline JennySmith

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Zone 7 permaculture newbie looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:42:32 AM »
Hi Roundabouts - Your suggestions are excellent.

Hi Antowas - How did your backyard overhaul project go? I recently spoke to an online garden coach (https://holahelp.com/collections/frontpage/products/1-on-1-garden-coaching-from-kyle-dall-over-live-video-20-minutes) who had similar suggestions as well. I wanted to learn more about how your project went before we start moving in that direction.