Author Topic: DOG ATTACK  (Read 30822 times)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
DOG ATTACK
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Some time in the night my dog was attacked. We heard nothing so I assume he wandered down the road somewhere. Today he was laying in a bed of hay and could not get up. He rolled over when the grand boys and I went out at sunrise and he was covered in blood and could not rise. We got him up on the porch and I saw that the porch was covered in blood. He could not put his weight on his hind leg and had what looked like deep scrapes all over his body. Nothing that looked like bites at all.

His foot was very swollen.

My grand boys got busy and got cotton balls and antiseptic and cleaned all of his wounds. I got a tylenol and wrapped it in cheese and we gave him food and water close.

I was proud of the boys. But it made me realize I am really unprepared for for animal emergencies.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: DOG ATTACK
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
Blue coat for horses is GOLD really strong topical antibiotic.. animal grade penicillin and some syringes and some good self sticking ace wrap..also some epson salt paste they sell it for horses for sprains and such..all should be available at a good feed store..that's what I keep on hand for the dogs and human alike!

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »
Thank you very much. Why didn't I think about this before?

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
Sounds like coyotes , the jrs. will be about 3/4 grone and  out proving them selfs this time of year ,sharp teeth.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
He could not put his weight on his hind leg and had what looked like deep scrapes all over his body. Nothing that looked like bites at all.

His foot was very swollen.

Sounds more like he tangled with a car to me.  I've seen dog attacks on and off duty, and there are lots of punctures and some tearing, but I've never seen scrapes or swells.  If he made it home, and the bleeding stopped, I'd expect he'll be alright.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:55:11 AM »
A car was my daughters thought. I hope he heals. His foot is swollen twice as big as yesterday. I am giving him pain killer and keeping his water and food by him. he is eating and drinking.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
That where the epson salt paste and ace bandage come to play,smear it thickly over his swollen foot and wrap firmly..also you maybe putting him in danger giving him pain killers as his kidneys can't handle what ours can..most the time you can just call a vet and get free advice as to what human meds are safe for dogs..

inbox485

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
Medically, my advice is worth every penny you paid for it, and is backed up only by my say so, but hydrogen peroxide on fresh wounds (nothing below skin deep on people or into the muscle for pelted animals) has never failed me for preventing infection, and for topical infections, it has always worked for treating them. Also I second the caution with pain killers. The only OTC pain med I know of that is safe for dogs is aspirin, and even that is best bought in the buffered for dogs formulation. The pill form "dumps" faster than is appropriate for dogs and is a bit hard on the liver and kidneys. There are a handful of prescription meds in the narcotic family. All of them are pretty nasty. There is more recent research showing that doses of THC comparable (by body weight) to what would be medically relevant to humans can be given to dogs with considerably fewer side effects. A commercial dog patch is actually in the works. So if you have the legal means it might be worth considering. Personally, I wouldn't break the law over it if that is the case. Injuries like that will pass soon enough.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »
Have you taken your dog to the vet?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
I am not in the position to take my dog to the vet. all of the vets near me think they live in W Plano where most people are rich. He will need to heal on his own. (or not)

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »
That is a shame, I hope everything works out well. 

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
That's where we are as well.  Vets tend to go a little overboard sometimes expecting the client can/will pay.  A friend of mine had to put his dog down (he lives in town), and it was going to cost him $45 to have it done!  He couldn't spare the money, and neither can I, but the poor dog was in really bad shape.  So I had to help him out due to city shooting ordinances. 

Now, there's NOTHING even remotely enjoyable about putting a dog down yourself.  But when it's time, it's time whether you want to or not, and can afford it or not.  I'm just glad it didn't come to this in your case.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:24 PM »
I read a book a few months ago on first aid for dogs and decided to not only practice the techniques the book entailed but also make a first aid kit specifically for my dogs. I love my dogs like many of you and I want to be prepared for their well being. attached is my K-9 FAK roll up. Book was $7 brand new so it is worth every penny, the items are common first aid kit stuff just a few specialty items that are not that expensive, pick it up, make a K9 kit, love your dogs.

luckily I have not had to use it for trauma but I have had a few bouts with upset stomach and an interesting episode with a cactus.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
don't know but are you sure his foot is not broken?  you may want to try and PM Cedar. I think Cedar use to be a vet tech in any case there is a walking book of knowledge that's for sure.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
don't know if this is an option for you at all or not.  I have found that taking animals to the ER is much much cheaper than taking them to the regular vet.  If there is a local humane society you may be able to contact them to see if there is a vet that is donating time.  Maybe you can barter with something in exchange for meds. Cleaning house home grown food washing car office help just some ideas.   Good luck and give your pup a gentle pat from me

Offline mikem

• Survivalist Mentor
  • ¿por qué so serious?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »
Blue coat for horses is GOLD really strong topical antibiotic.. animal grade penicillin and some syringes and some good self sticking ace wrap..also some epson salt paste they sell it for horses for sprains and such..all should be available at a good feed store..that's what I keep on hand for the dogs and human alike!

Very interesting - Not to derail the thread, but what all can you get for animals OTC that would be dual purposed for humans that you'd only be able to get as prescription normally?

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
Very interesting - Not to derail the thread, but what all can you get for animals OTC that would be dual purposed for humans that you'd only be able to get as prescription normally?

Ummmmm..... Everything??  ::). But, seriously a pretty good bit of animal meds are good for people if need be. I think there are a couple of threads. Maybe.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
DO NOT EVER GIVE DOGS TYLENOL. EVER!

Agreed with earlier poster re' giving them Ascriptin (buffered aspirin) - sparingly. Also hydrogen peroxide applied topically to help heal the wounds. It will foam when applied to an open wound. Make sure the wound is not a puncture though. Betadyne can also be used.

Dogs aren't people, only limited things work for them. Hit the internet for more info on how to treat the specific wounds.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »
He also needs antibiotics. He REALLY needs to go to the vet. I know you think it's not an option for you, and I'm sorry if this sounds judgmental, but there are payment options at pretty much every veterinarian out there, and insurance options as well.

My opinion about animals is that they are furry kids. They need to be treated that way. If your kid was hit by a car, you'd find a way to deal with the medical bills. Your dog deserves the same treatment.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
No sis it is not an option to take him to the vet. I am sorry and understand that some people judge me for that but it simply is not.

Yes the foot could be broken but as he is not walking on it and there are no bones sticking out, and he is still eating and drinking very well, I will let his body heal it's self. He gets up and walks across the porch now and then.

He doesn't feel as if he is running a fever.

And on the comment on the animal ER....that is laughable here. We had a cat with a blocked bladder. We took it to the VET ER in Rockwall TX and when they told us that his bladder was the size of a grapefruit and he would die in pain if we didn't let them sew a catheter to his p.enis at the cost of 2k, we refused.

We asked that they put him down....THEY REFUSED TO PUT HIM DOWN...they said he was treatable so they refused. They left that cat in that amount of pain until we could get him to a country vet in Farmersville the next day who put him down for $125!

I do not care for any new vets. There are still a few old farm vets who have a small amount of common sense but most are about the money and nothing else.

I will start building a first aid kit for k-9's as soon as possible though after this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:57:05 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
Hope your dog heals quickly. I fully understand your position. The last two trips to the vet with my GSP's resulted in nothing but expensive xray's and trips to a larger vet only to be told they wanted to perform procedures that would do nothing and have me spending thousands. I declined in both cases and had the dogs put down.

Vet's have changed to be about the billing, they know that most people can no longer recognize animals as livestock. That they will go into sever debt over an animal care that should never be done.

I would add one more thing to your animal first aid, Bag Balm. It has great healing qualities for abrasions and skin conditions.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
Bag Balm, horse lenament , and bovin antibiotics. I wouldnt have survived without them.
Shot ,stabed, run over ,bit,,stomped, sometime us old dogs just have to heal up on our own.

Goatdog62

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »
I hope all goes well with your dog.

I hate seeing them in pain but, like you, am pragmatic about the costs. I don't know if an emergency room trip will break your bank or not, definitely not my business, but I would go to the vet, find out what your dog has, and make decisions after that point about the long-term treatment of my pet. I don't have a preset price in mind, but at some point I would not be willing to pay for medical care for an animal. For instance, I could write a check for say $10,000 to a vet tomorrow for the family dog...but I wouldn't. I could write it with no ill effects to my family, our savings, or our lifestyle and I still think it is not the prudent thing to do. I would donate that money to Make-A-Wish and help a dying child first, I did just that last year.

I love my dog, beyond what I ever thought I could, it would tear me up but Zoey isn't a human. I know others feel differently.

Dave Ramsey says the same thing. I don't think he's cruel or an animal hater.

My MIL paid $9000 for her cat to have cataracts removed years ago, just before she was my mother-in-law. At the time my future wife was living on $600 a month, had no insurance, and had just lost her car for one late $110 payment. I paid, using my then very low cop wages to rescue her car and told her mom what I thought of her. She still doesn't understand, whatever, no animal is more important than family. I know this is a controversial opinion, life isn't fair and tough decisions have to be made sometimes.

Your pet is in my thoughts. I have faith he'll be okay soon. They're tough critters, the strays we always tried to save in Iraq come to mind, such a sad place for a lonely, hungry, abused dog.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
And on the comment on the animal ER....that is laughable here. We had a cat with a blocked bladder. We took it to the VET ER in Rockwall TX and when they told us that his bladder was the size of a grapefruit and he would die in pain if we didn't let them sew a catheter to his p.enis at the cost of 2k, we refused.

That is BS and I'm very, very sorry you had to deal with that. :(

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Bag Balm, horse lenament , and bovin antibiotics. I wouldnt have survived without them.
Shot ,stabed, run over ,bit,,stomped, sometime us old dogs just have to heal up on our own.

Amen brother

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
I have to laugh at him. As I type, the dog about 1/4 mile down the road just barked and Buddy hauled himself out of his bed, down the porch steps and out on the driveway to bark severely back at him. Silly Dog. I think he will be fine. Just needs to rest

inbox485

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
As far as the vet / no vet options are concerned, there are a lot of things where it can be debatable. Having the only vets you know of in your area being scum that prey on grief to gouge for money just sucks, and if every doctor in my area was that way, I'm not sure I'd put myself in their care either. The good news is that a properly cleaned topical injury rarely needs antibiotics, and if your dog is still alive, its odds with or without a vet sound pretty good.

But given your situation, you have about the same type of duty you would have if you had kids in an area with no reasonable health care. You should learn everything you can to deal with all the things you can do within reason for a dog. Look into all the types of medications that you could need for something like an infection, and could get the "fish" or "cattle" labeled version of. 90% of what a vet does (aside from caterac removals and chemo for dogs and cats in their late teens) can be done by you if you know what you are doing and have the supplies on hand (waiting for mail order for fish-ceph after your dog already has an infection won't help much). About the only routine exception is spay/neuter operations. A lot of what vets do is take care of late stage complications that never would have happened if lay people could provide reasonable at home care without side stepping prescription only nonsense.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »
Agreed inbox

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
Almost all "livestock" otc meds have a weight guide on the label easy to figure out the proper dose IF you know the animals weight..I do all of my own shots except rabies(only because I can't buy it)  a vial of penicillin for livestock is only about 9/12$ my dogs are LGDs they don't get hurt often but when they do lord knows what bit them!  On another note this stuff is $$$$ in a good way I've been VERY IMPRESSED with this product and healer some pretty nasty wounds(deep puncture included) on my humans and animals ;)  http://vetericyn.com/technology/    I keep a bottle of this in my main BOB and in my "oh sh!t you don't have insurance" drawer..It's a bit spendy but really goes a long way..and is safely used on humans..in other countries..

The Benefits of Vetericyn Few wound cleansers are a one-step cleanser and dressing. In fact, Vetericyn is:

A scientifically engineered topical solution that mimics the body’s immune system response to viruses, bacteria, fungi and spores Doesn’t harm healthy tissue Safe as water Completely bio-compatible Eliminates odor from wounds Non-toxic and non-irritating No antibiotics or steroids and “tests free” on competition animals Will not stain clothing or furniture with application to animal Increases oxygen to the wound while decreasing chronic inflammation

Vetericyn is used to care for a host of infections and wounds including:

Hot spots Scratches Outer ear infections Ring worm Skin fungus Rain rot Cinch fungus Dryland Distemper / Pigeon Fever / Strangles Eye infections including conjunctivitis

Vetericyn can be used for moistening absorbent wound dressings, mechanical cleansing or debridement of wounds, caring for infections, cleaning of acute and chronic dermal lesions, post-surgical sites, burns, abrasions, eye and outer ear infections and other irritations of the skin.

Vetericyn is a proprietary formulation of oxy chlorine compounds similar to those produced by the animal’s own immune system. Oxy chlorine compounds occur naturally in animals as they are released by white blood cells, and form an important part of the immune system.

Vetericyn is an all-natural product that will not harm the environment or the animal. There are no issues with disposal and no elaborate safety protocol required for its application. Since it is non-toxic, it will not cause injury or illness if ingested or licked. This is possible because Vetericyn works in the same way as the animal’s immune system. As such, the body recognizes it as a friendly infection-treating ally.

Vetericyn significantly increases the oxygen content at the wound site within 30 seconds and maintains that oxygen level for up to 36 hours. This increase in oxygen along with the reduction of infection is responsible for these accelerated healing times. Faster healing is achieved when wounds are cleaned and maintained moist. As a one-step cleanser and dressing, it eliminates the need for multiple products while reducing the application time and requirements. The product is no-rinse meaning that there is no toxic substance inhabiting the wound and preventing healing.

Once you open a bottle of Vetericyn it is immediately ready for use. There is no mixing and no dilution required. There are no safety procedures to follow as the product will not cause skin, eye or lung irritation.

Vetericyn technology kills 99.999% of all single cell organisms in just 30 seconds!

Vetericyn® Wound & Infection Care is an innovative topical solution for the care of wounds, infections and irritations caused by bacteria, virus, fungus or spores. This steroid-free, antibiotic-free, no-rinse solution is non-toxic. Made up of compounds similar to those produced by the animal’s own immune system, Vetericyn will not harm healthy tissue. Vetericyn is pH neutral and will not sting when applied. In solution this product kills 99.999% of bacteria, single-cell organisms and fungi making it ideal for infections caused by bacteria such as E.coli, Staph (MRSA), Strep, Moraxella bovis, Pasteurella, Actinomyces and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Tests free for competitive animals.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:41:40 PM by FromScratchWoman »

Offline wanamoka

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
So sorry to hear about your dog.   

About 6 weeks ago my bloodhound with lost half her ear because of the neighbors dog.  We took her to the emergency vet in Lewisville/Flower Mound, it cost me about 200 for them to put on neosporin, gauze, and wide self sticking wrap, like you would a sprain.  An anti-inflamatory,  the same one the vets give after neutering and antibiotics.   I almost put peroxide or iodine on it,  the vet said with injuries where there is torn cartilage it was best not to use H2O2 or the iodine because it could start the bleeding all over again.   Only use for cleaning on fleshy parts.  I did not know that.

Also, I got a type of liquid bandage, from KV equine, it helped some. 

Have you tried just icing it to get the swelling down? 

Kathy