Author Topic: DOG ATTACK  (Read 30809 times)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: DOG ATTACK
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
Sorry, trying to get caught up on this....and on the question about if I use heartworm preventative....sorry I am laughing on that one.

Here is the story of Bear. Bear was my and my ex's first dog. We got him in 1981.

At the age of 4 he was diagnosed with heart worms. We lived in Plano TX. When the cost and procedure was explained to us one how to rid him of these, we explained to the vet that we could not afford that and would not put him through it.

He said we had to have him put down as soon as he started showing symptoms of having a hard time breathing as his live would be horrible with this large case of heartworms.

We took him home prepared to make his remaining days as comfortable as possible.

We did have him put down when he was in pain....in 1995 when his hips became too bad and he couldn't go out to the bathroom on his own.

So yes just another thing on the list.

inbox485

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
Sorry, trying to get caught up on this....and on the question about if I use heartworm preventative....sorry I am laughing on that one.

Here is the story of Bear. Bear was my and my ex's first dog. We got him in 1981.

At the age of 4 he was diagnosed with heart worms. We lived in Plano TX. When the cost and procedure was explained to us one how to rid him of these, we explained to the vet that we could not afford that and would not put him through it.

He said we had to have him put down as soon as he started showing symptoms of having a hard time breathing as his live would be horrible with this large case of heartworms.

We took him home prepared to make his remaining days as comfortable as possible.

We did have him put down when he was in pain....in 1995 when his hips became too bad and he couldn't go out to the bathroom on his own.

So yes just another thing on the list.

Different dogs will react to things differently. I personally think heartworm meds have a lot of value just in preventing the spread of the disease. But that is just me, and the area you are in and the risk of getting them or spreading them in the first place is worth considering. Most of my dogs have lived their whole lives on my property. They get the initial puppy shots, get fixed if I feel it is beneficial for hormonal reasons, and that has generally been it.

As far as hydrogen peroxide, I'm aware it isn't the best stuff on the market (and I've been meaning to stock something like betadine), but I've used H2O2 more times than I could count on everything from cuts to a stab wound on myself, and on several pets, and every time, it has done a good job of cleaning the injury, no infection has ever set on anything I've used it on, and I've never had any of the types of complications that I've read about. Scarring in particular has always been non-existent. I'm wondering if it has to do with how it is used.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
I've had the same experience with Hydrogen Peroxide as inbox has (though I've not used it on pets. I stick with betadine for the furry kids, because that's what I was taught to use).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
I personally think heartworm meds have a lot of value just in preventing the spread of the disease. But that is just me, and the area you are in and the risk of getting them or spreading them in the first place is worth considering.

On a side note, did you know that alot of HUMANS get heartworms and it is never found until an autopsy is performed?
Cedar

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
On a side note, did you know that alot of HUMANS get heartworms and it is never found until an autopsy is performed?
Cedar

This cracks me up. Wow. Next little suggestion will be that humans need to take a daily parasite pill to keep us from getting wormy

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
This cracks me up. Wow. Next little suggestion will be that humans need to take a daily parasite pill to keep us from getting wormy
A little DE in your oats probably wouldn't hurt hahaha..

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
Cedar

This is extremely rare.  This is one of the parasites that does not live long, if at all, in a human host.  The vast majority of heartworm cases that have been found consist of one or a few living in the lining of the lungs.  They can cause chest pains and discomfort.

Humans get heartworms from mosquito's, so if you are using a heartworm preventative on your dog to prevent yourself from getting heartworms, you are better off destroying the mosquito's.

So how is the dog doing at this point?

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
He is doing good. I saw him start to put weight on his leg. Still eating and drinking fine.
thanks for asking.