Author Topic: Q & A or Comments about my Interview with Jack Spirko  (Read 5986 times)

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Q & A or Comments about my Interview with Jack Spirko
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
Today an interview I did with Jack was posted on  The Survival Podcast, it can be found here:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/interview-with-the-berkey-guy

I wanted to give everyone an opportunity in a thread on the forum to ask any questions, or make any comments.
Please feel free to ask questions or make comments about the show in this thread.

I really enjoyed the interview with Jack, and really appreciate all those here that listened to the interview. 

Merry Christmas to you and your family,
theberkeyguy

Offline Fasted

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Q & A or Comments about my Interview with Jack Spirko
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
Jeff, great interview. I think that water (next to heat) is probably one of the most important topics in survival.

I have a question. I listened to a Paul Wheaton podcast a couple of days ago and he was discussing legionella (legionaires dIsease) in hot water heaters. It seems that 110 to 120 degrees is the ideal breeding temperature for legionella and almost all water has legionella present. From what I read the ideal way to contract legionella is from breathing it in as an aeresol in the shower. To save on the power bill, many of us keep our hot water heaters at or close to this temperature. Is there a shower filter that will filter out legionella?

Thanks for your time and your dedication to us listeners.
Ed

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
Jeff, great interview. I think that water (next to heat) is probably one of the most important topics in survival.

I have a question. I listened to a Paul Wheaton podcast a couple of days ago and he was discussing legionella (legionaires dIsease) in hot water heaters. It seems that 110 to 120 degrees is the ideal breeding temperature for legionella and almost all water has legionella present. From what I read the ideal way to contract legionella is from breathing it in as an aeresol in the shower. To save on the power bill, many of us keep our hot water heaters at or close to this temperature. Is there a shower filter that will filter out legionella?

Thanks for your time and your dedication to us listeners.
Ed

Good question, if it might be known what size legionella is, we may be able to say it might be a possibility, but unfortunatly, I cannot make any claims.

theberkeyguy

Offline Fasted

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
Jeff, I found this online:

The average Legionella  cell is 0.5-1.0 micrometer wide and 1.0-3.0 micrometers long (Barbaree, J. M. "Controlling Legionella in Cooling Towers,"  ASHRAE Journal, June 1991; 38-42).

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
Jeff, I found this online:

The average Legionella  cell is 0.5-1.0 micrometer wide and 1.0-3.0 micrometers long (Barbaree, J. M. "Controlling Legionella in Cooling Towers,"  ASHRAE Journal, June 1991; 38-42).

Thanks for the info, I apologize, but I cannot make any claims if it can or cannot remove it.

theberkeyguy