Photobucket

Author Topic: Living off the grid may be against the law??  (Read 4672 times)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Living off the grid may be against the law??
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Found this article its exactly what it states in the title...

http://offgridsurvival.com/livingoffthegridcrime/

Sad..but ahh my BOL is deep in the thicket..not in a barren valley..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
Living deep Off Grid in the NE Oregon Blue Mountain range

Offline PrimalTroy

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Primal Aspects Art and More
Re: Living off the grid may be against the law??
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
Scary! Not surprising these days though, unfortunately.  :(

Offline technicalanarchy

• Senior Survivalist
  • That's Pep in my profile pic
    • Response Technical
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
They dont like the off grid need nothing mentality. Something about it is a threar.

Crazy to imagine 40 or so years ago my grandparents were living off grid cause there wasnt a grid for them to hookup to.

Had a tractor in the front yard up on blocks but the front yard was a mile from the road. Try to get away with that now anywhere.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline CommonSenseGuy

• Prepper
  • It's Only Common Sense!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
If I read it correctly, the issue is they were on the grid then went off-grid.  The utility company spent money putting in infrastructure to service people.  If these people disconnect from the grid that expense needs to be spread out to the remaining customers.  I see the same thing in Alabama where excessive sewer bond problems are giving people a $150 sewer bill so they are installing septic systems.  Who is going to pay the bond?  I predict they will assessed a $150 bond charge in place of their sewer bill.

The utilities need to come clean.  If you are in their service area, charge an infrastructure tax to everybody.  Those that use their service will also pay for product used (electric, water etc.).  I dont like paying this if I dont use their service but it is a public utility and that's life in the city.  If services were not available when you build, then they have no right to charge an infrastructure fee if and when they bring service to your area.  It's only common sense.
We may disagree on why, but we all can agree that we need to prepare.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
Extend this idea a little. If your off grid are your children warm and fed properly according to government standards? Since your off grid are their clothes clean and do they have a healthy environment to live in? So, you aren't visited by the electric company but one day Children Services arrive at the house to check on the welfare of the children because of some complaint from a teacher or neighbor.

Sound far fetched? It isn't. Seen this in action in my state. This idea is about power and control and getting people in line with what the government considers normal and traceable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
Extend this idea a little. If your off grid are your children warm and fed properly according to government standards? Since your off grid are their clothes clean and do they have a healthy environment to live in? So, you aren't visited by the electric company but one day Children Services arrive at the house to check on the welfare of the children because of some complaint from a teacher or neighbor.

Sound far fetched? It isn't. Seen this in action in my state. This idea is about power and control and getting people in line with what the government considers normal and traceable.

In some states It's flat out illegal to live with children and have no running water or electricity unless you can firmly prove your particular religion prohibits these items..

"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

-Tom Waits

Offline Jeepguy521

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 07:31:44 PM »
Hey guys long time reader first time poster,
This subject had made me decide to break my non posting streak seeing as how living off the grid has been a future goal for myself. If you think about it our country is in the crapper and the government is broke we are in so much debt now we can barely afford the interest payment let alone the loan payment itself. In saying the government is trying to tax every person they can to get every dime they can I'm sure some of you have already seen signs of this in budget cuts. I mean they were trying to lower our military personnel's salaries our very own line of defense people who risk their lives to defend our freedom. I understand that this is only a local ordnance in certain area's of the country but the only reason I can think of is that local government is trying to nickel and dime everywhere they can to try and make up for the lack of support the federal government isn't giving them. If someone disagrees with me or has a different outlook please share i am very open and don't take offense to much and very open to learning so again please correct me if I'm wrong or mistaken.

Thanks

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
It's not just in the city.  The rural electric co-ops are jumping on the anti-alternative power band wagon.  A friend set up a trailer in the backyard of his nephew out in the country (I'm talking very rural Missouri, several miles away from the nearest inhabited town which has a pop. of less than 400), and even though there was a pole there with a meter (from when nephew's son had a trailer there a few years prior), they were forced to sign a waiver that the co-op just started implementing that basically stated that, in exchange for hooking the existing meter up to the new trailer, they are to never set up or use any type of alternate means of power, no matter how small, on their own property. Ever.  The nephew has owned/lived on that property for 50 years, but was told that if he and his wife didn't sign the waiver right then, the power would not be connected that day and "just can't say when someone can get back out here again to hook it up"...so they signed it.   >:( 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
It's not just in the city.  The rural electric co-ops are jumping on the anti-alternative power band wagon.  A friend set up a trailer in the backyard of his nephew out in the country (I'm talking very rural Missouri, several miles away from the nearest inhabited town which has a pop. of less than 400), and even though there was a pole there with a meter (from when nephew's son had a trailer there a few years prior), they were forced to sign a waiver that the co-op just started implementing that basically stated that, in exchange for hooking the existing meter up to the new trailer, they are to never set up or use any type of alternate means of power, no matter how small, on their own property. Ever.  The nephew has owned/lived on that property for 50 years, but was told that if he and his wife didn't sign the waiver right then, the power would not be connected that day and "just can't say when someone can get back out here again to hook it up"...so they signed it.   >:(
this is just beyond disgusting.....

-Tom Waits