Author Topic: 1st radio suggestion needed.  (Read 6214 times)

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
    • mousetrap
Re: 1st radio suggestion needed.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 07:04:57 AM »
Baofeng's are good bang for the buck.. Read a review here:

The UV-5R version is 5W output.  Some folks prefer the 3R (regular, not "plus") as the 2W radio's batteries are standard camera batts that can be charged from USB.  The 3+ version appears to be something like a UV-3R Mark II (ie, two line display) in 5R case/batt.

I bought a 5R for ~$55 shipped with programming cable.  Using the chirp nightlies to program it (the 3R is supported in the stable version of chirp).  It is a shockingly good value for the money.  See the various youtube video reviews/tests.

For anyone that wants real world good/bad/ugly on the Baofeng UV-5R see the yahoo group where you can see us cheering, playing, and sometimes cussing the Little Chinese Radios.

Based on my experience with this HT I would love to see some simple, high-value Chinese 2m/440cm mobile and HF base stations.  Wouxun has tried one which is in testers' hands now but it appears to be a failed first effort, nowhere as successful (or inexpensive) as the HTs.  Too bad.  Everybody screws up sometimes, I guess.

Eagle scout --> soldier --> alpha geek
My geekery:  Coleman stove/lanterns, *nix, GPS, homebrewing, backyard chickens
KF5RCA

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
Using the chirp nightlies to program it (the 3R is supported in the stable version of chirp). 
AWESOME! It looks like I might be able to have a single program to program my VX-8 and whatever else I end up buying. My plan is to add a Yaesu mobile (FT-88/8900) and potentially a FT-897 as a base station. To have one solution for all of those PLUS these little Chinese HTs (which I plan to add next time I'm not spending $$ on rifles) will greatly simplify things.

Based on my experience with this HT I would love to see some simple, high-value Chinese 2m/440cm mobile and HF base stations.  Wouxun has tried one which is in testers' hands now but it appears to be a failed first effort, nowhere as successful (or inexpensive) as the HTs.  Too bad.  Everybody screws up sometimes, I guess.
I would love to see something that is relatively inexpensive that competes performance/feature-wise with the big 3. It might change my discussion above. :)
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
AWESOME! It looks like I might be able to have a single program to program my VX-8 and whatever else I end up buying. My plan is to add a Yaesu mobile (FT-88/8900) and potentially a FT-897 as a base station. To have one solution for all of those PLUS these little Chinese HTs (which I plan to add next time I'm not spending $$ on rifles) will greatly simplify things.
I would love to see something that is relatively inexpensive that competes performance/feature-wise with the big 3. It might change my discussion above. :)
This is just for my curiosity:  Why the FT-897?  I have (had) a FT-857 and find that it has all the same features and the 897, with the exception of the internalized battery...
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
FT-857... has all the same features... with the exception of the internalized battery...
That's the reason I keep coming back to to the 897. Again, it's a wish list item at this point and CERTAINLY not a 1st radio unless you have more money than the pharaohs and get your general ticket right off the bat. If I ran across a solid used FT-857, as we used to say in reference to non-radios "I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers."
"Bureaucracy doesn’t rhyme with idiocy and lunacy for no reason, my friend." - AngusBangus 2014

The 4Bs of Anthood:
Bullets - Check
Beans
   Short Term - Check
   Long Term - Whole lotta work to do, but growing every day.
Bandages - Almost to "comfortable minimum"
Brotherhood - Creating community one conversation at a time

Offline SCWolverine

• Senior Survivalist
  • God's Not Dead
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
what follows is nothing more than "Hearsay":

I'm under the impression the internal battery for the 897 is really not all it's cracked up to be...the 857 with an accompanying external battery may be a better choice???  That said, one of my Elmers had a 857 mobile and he really didn't like the menu based functions (but liked the different color choices for different bands).

For whatever any of that is worth-there it is.....further, if the funds were avail  :'( , I'm not sure what I'd buy (in that sort of mobile/base/portable)

scw

Offline Sailor

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
FT-857 was my first HF radio.  I have had no problems with it.  It is now a go box radio.  Menu's are not as easy as buttons, but I can program a DVR, so its simple. 

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:39 AM »
My plan is to add a Yaesu mobile (FT-88/8900)

AngusBangus -- You ever grab that 8900?  Any comments/thoughts/insights/reviews?

Anybody else have experience with it?

I have been eying the 8900 as a mobile rig for my lady's car.  Want something simple to use as she's not going to memorize six layers of menus.  I thought about just doing a basic 2m, which would keep things REALLY simple for her, but like the idea of having the 70cm and 6m options available.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
I'm expecting UPS to deliver my first Ham Radio tonight.  VX- 8DR.

z

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
Such good info!  I'll be getting my Tech soon, and this helps narrow down what radio to start with.