Author Topic: Basic fighting techniques for everyday self defense?  (Read 22486 times)

Offline Russkie

• Senior Survivalist
Basic fighting techniques for everyday self defense?
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
Im not sure if this has been asked before, if so I appologize

Im curious about basic techniques or moves that could help you in a fight. I dont currently know any martial arts or anything, and have never been in a fight with a person before (only a couple dog attacks).

Does anyone have any advice or instruction?

Offline Chris_Carroll

• Prepper
Re: Basic fighting techniques for everyday self defense?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:40:05 PM »
Here is a good starting place:

http://www.urbancombatives.com/defaultart.htm

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
It really depends on the situation. Are you talking serious, hardcore, justified in whatever you do situations or just everyday, chip on his shoulder guy at the bus stop who needs a good spanking situation? For the serious, life or death type of situation.. I'd go for the "vitals". Example: punch to the throat, double slap to the ears, swift kick to the groin. Should put anyone down. And in the hospital. Anything less isn't worth my time.  :P

But seriously, IMO any violent situation can become something HORRIBLE in seconds. The best thing would be to avoid those situations at all costs. i've seen bar fights go from one on one to a full out dukes of hazard style brawl in the blink of an eye. All I can tell you is study vital or pressure points, keep your head and remember, for every action is an equal and opposite reaction. Especially legally.

If that is something you're worried about or even just have on your mind you should definately study something. I think century martial arts has a section of "classic" dvds for about $10 a pop. Couldn't hurt. (No pun intended).

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:25:42 PM »
For just basic fighting techniques, I'd say (first) become alert so you can spot trouble before it comes to a head. The best way to win a fight is not to be in it.

The next tip is to always have an escape route--know where the exits are and be able to get to them. Better yet, have several escape routes ready all the time.

After that, if you can't avoid a fight, fight in such a manner that you take no damage.

Bar fight? Pick up a chair and let anyone that wants to punch you punch the chair instead--for example. (On your way out the back door.)

ANY hit that you take can kill you dead. A 98-lb weakling can hit you by accident exactly the same way a 10th Degree Black Belt can hit you on purpose. Any time you take a hit, you are playing Russian Roulette--and you have no idea how many bullets are in the gun.

After that, know how to do the most damage to an opponent in the least amount of time. And do it mercilessly if you have too.

Know the Zipper Strategy: The front center-line of the body is The Zipper. You run up and down it to unzip your opponent. Groin, lower abdomen, belly,  solar plexus, xiphoid process, lower throat, Adam's apple, under jaw, chin, teeth, upper lip, nose, eyes.

It's metaphoric unless you have to use a knife. Then the unzipping gets a lot more literal.

Weapons work better than bare hands. Man is a tool-using animal. Stabbing someone in the solar plexus with a broom handle trumps the average punch by a mile. Ditto for a poke in the eye.

Learn how to use expedient improvised weapons. Like a single car key, or a paperback book.

Also learn how to use  "real" weapons. The time may come when you have to use one.

One thing to always remember about losing a fight: ignorance is no excuse.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
As a person with a shelf full of martial arts books and little training (recently started correcting that) my advice is that taking something...nearly anything, is important.  Studying vital points and good works on self-defense are good things, just dont do it in place of actual training, do it in addition to. 

I am not saying it has to be an asian fighting art, it could be boxing with a local guy who knows his stuff, or wrestling.  Most people though need some sort of base in it and that can only be learned by physically doing it with feedback from a third party.

My $.02

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
I'm planning on getting a good base in Krav Maga as soon as I can. Its a bit expensive, but with a school so close its a no brainer.
Why i'm into Krav- simple, (supposedly) easy and fast to learn, mixture of empty hand, improvised, and purposeful weapons,  and effective (read "brutal")

Other than my infatuation with that specific art, I totally agree with LD

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
Get in a few bar brawls.  Very little you can do in a gym actually sets you up for the aspects of a real fight. 

Joining a MMA-style gym is about as close as you'll get without risking assault charges though.

Offline Greysen

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
This is something that you you really need to get some instruction, be it boxing, Krav, MMA, Arnis, whatever.  The knowledge transfer is largely physical, you need to be able to act subconsciously without thinking and just respond.  You can't get that from books; because you will be too busy intellectualizing while they're busy acting, stomping on your face.

Make sure the training has contact and equally importantly intent.  If you're just training to spar for points, that's something you're programming yourself to fall into when you need it.  I highly recommend something that also incorporates weaponry, it's a huge effectiveness amplifier and it's typically the first thing that happens in a fight if the aggressor isn't already armed.  It's something you need to be able to deal with or negate with your own tools.

I'm with Pistolwhipped in that you can't really prepare for what happens in a fight, but you can train yourself to recognize motion and most importantly intent.  The rest you have to be flexible with and come up with on the fly.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »
I'm with Pistolwhipped in that you can't really prepare for what happens in a fight, but you can train yourself to recognize motion and most importantly intent.  The rest you have to be flexible with and come up with on the fly.
The content of this statement I basically agree with, but the first clause is misleading.  In the respect that I think it is intended, the only way to prepare for anything it to have it happen to you.  That is antithetical to everything we doing in modern survival. 

A more accurate way to articulate it would be that you cannot internalize the reality of a fight before you are actually in one.  You can certainly prepare for a fight like you can prepare for all things...the question is how much good the preparation will do you in the breech.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »
Take a handful of boxing lessons. You won't learn enough martial arts in just a few lessons, despite what you may think or what you might be told.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
While I can't simulate a hurricane (with complete property damage), a gunfight (at least not often enough to use as practice), or a zombie apocalypse (paintball and airsoft aside), I've gotten into a few fights in my day.  I don't start them, but I sure as s**t don't back down either.  Training to internalize reactions is not a bad idea, but fighting itself is one of those skill you learn from the proverbial "School of hard knocks."  And that chipped tooth makes an interesting conversation topic.

Like Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:15:26 PM by PistolWhipped »

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
@ Russkie

Keep it simple and keep it practical. There is no need to learn a lot of different moves in order to be effective in an unarmed fight. As with anything else, keep your set of skills to a minimum. Learn a few blocks, a few punches and a couple kicks; practicing at full force on a punching bag, or similar. By knowing only a handful of defensive and offensive movements, you'll prevent yourself from becoming preoccupied with specific movements when the time comes to put them into affect.

There are three basic punches you need to learn to block and deliver: the jab (or cross punch), the hook punch, and the uppercut. (There are good YouTube videos for of all of these)

In striking, the hook is most likely to inflict a knockout simply because it is harder for neck muscles to prevent the head from being jerked. Hitting a hard surface (ie: the face), however, will also hurt your hand, so no matter which strike you use, it would be preferable to strike a soft location such as the groin or the throat. If possible, a solid blow to the sternum/chest bone (solar plexus) will knock the air out of your opponent.

In addition to strikes, also learn how to deliever an effective roundhouse kick. A good, hard roundhouse kick to the outside of the knee or thigh of your opponent will cause a great deal of pain and incapacitate them.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:03 AM »
if you go on youtube, the user EXPERTVILLAGE has a bunch of short Krav Maga instructional videos. If you could find a buddy to practice with i think they would help a lot

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »

You can practice kicks and balance.

When you punch, practice staying relaxed and not over exerting. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Ke0wygFJo

you can break it down to basicaly:

footwork
punches
blocks
kicks

Imitate some of the stuff in videos like that and find a teacher to explain it better.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »
As far as bar fights go, just don't go to bars...or shove your arm as far down their throat as possible.  Oh wait, that was dogs..

If you do get into a situation, protect your neck and head.

Just do open carry and you shouldn't have to worry about it though.  Unless someone has a bigger gun than you and really wants a piece of you.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
As far as bar fights go, just don't go to bars...or shove your arm as far down their throat as possible.  Oh wait, that was dogs..

Hey, if a guy crammed his arm down my neck, I'd be looking to disengage ASAP.

And it doesn't have to be bars.  If some over-testosteroned meat head thinks you were checking out his girl, or his buddies say you were to egg him on, you can find yourself in a scrap in the food court of the mall.  You'd be amazed the stupidity of young wannabe alphas in packs.

Besides, she shouldn't have been wearing that short of a skirt if I wasn't supposed to look.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
Hey, if a guy crammed his arm down my neck, I'd be looking to disengage ASAP.

And it doesn't have to be bars.  If some over-testosteroned meat head thinks you were checking out his girl, or his buddies say you were to egg him on, you can find yourself in a scrap in the food court of the mall.  You'd be amazed the stupidity of young wannabe alphas in packs.

Besides, she shouldn't have been wearing that short of a skirt if I wasn't supposed to look.

Hells Angels or bikers of that sort can be the scariest as to what little provaction they may need.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »
I think this is an area I am equipped to help with, I took martial arts for 8 years, learned a lot and have spent 22 years in the army.

a few thing I learned from being young and having a smart mouth, (started taking Martial arts at 15)

1. if you try and block a haymaker, your arm gets knocked down and you get hit. better to dodge a punch and learn to keep your eyes on their eyes, it will tell you everything..
2. any kick above the waist is a gamble, it just takes to long. and you have to set up for it, this runs into #3
3. those cool karate moves you have been working on, dont work as well when your opponent is not standing still.,
and they are coming at you like a bear.

thing that work.

1. learn how to punch hard, spend some time on a heavy bag, dont just throw your hands at someone, I have fought a few men that could not hit hard, it is a learned skill, not like throwing a ball, I had a guy tell me later I hit him like I was throwing an anvil. learn to get your hip and body into the punch, if you can do this one punch may be enough, remember you run the risk of breaking your hand if you dont know how to hit properly or hit with the palm.
2. be aware of the situation, and aware of your surroundings.
3. decide quickly enough to be aggressive enough, if you know it is coming, hit first.
4. a hard hit to the nose will immediately basically blind a person and give them a WTF feeling for a few seconds, giving you time to haul ass or commence the beating.
5. a kick to the knee, or the side of the knee can disable an opponent. and can be quick and hard to block.
6. a kick to the groin (aim for the throat and kick the groin) follow through really makes the difference in how hard you hit, when you aim for the nose, try and punch to the back of their head, focus to punch through the head to the back of it, this will make you hit with follow through  and deliver a harder punch.
7 if it is life or death, i'd go for the eyes with a thumb. grabbing fingers if you can, is a great way to control someone.
8. a punch to the throat can disable an attacker.
9 you control the head, you control the body.
10, a lot of fight end up either on the ground or both of you locked up together, lean close in fighting, use knees and elbows, the elbow is great for close upstuff.

another note, if you are worried about a random attack, DONT LOOK LIKE A VICTIM!!!!!!!!!!!

how you carry yourself, eye contact, and jesters say alot about you. look like the last person anyone would want to F*ck with. and they will find a softer target.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
Hells Angels or bikers of that sort can be the scariest as to what little provaction they may need.

I may or may not have hung around those types in my day. >.>

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:24 AM »
If you can not afford the time and money to take ongoing and professional tarining in a genuine unarmed martial art, use or learn street fighting. Unarmed martial arts are only really of any use if you become very proficient at them. Otherwise, forget them.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 08:50:01 AM »
In addition to strikes, also learn how to deliver an effective roundhouse kick. A good, hard roundhouse kick to the outside of the knee or thigh of your opponent will cause a great deal of pain and incapacitate them.

the roundhouse kick is slower and telegraphs it self. i would go for a direct kick to the knee, faster and if done hard enough, can break the kneecap.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »
What Archer said.  And don't try to go all Billy Jack and kick a dude in the head.  Ankles and knees make good targets.  Maybe throw a jab or two to fake them out first.  If they are focused upstairs, you can go to town.

And if all else fails, your best field goal to the nads will drop a man like a stone.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »
Any training is better than no training. The average everyday person does not have any training and most people attacking don't have much if any training, just a bully or a horde attacking in numbers.

It's been years and now re-gained baby weight but the combination of Kenpo and Muay Thai training I received back in the day has always been effective and still comes back in muscle memory even after so much time passed. If you put the time into training it's kind of shocking what your reaction to offense will be.

Offline Romster

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
Here is a good starting place:

http://www.urbancombatives.com/defaultart.htm

This really was a great starting point. I read a few pages and found tons of information on the websites resource list. Having a few pictures are an added bonus. I don't think I'll be crushing skulls anytime soon though. Maybe with practice.

Offline bigro21

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
I suggest you start Taking a Martial art.  Pick one and go. Reading and watching videos do not give you the experience of actual hand to hand combat. Hand to hand and self defense training is the same as firearm training,  you need to train regularly. Playing Halo all day long does not mean you can use a real firearm. Watching videos is good as part of actual martial arts training. When under stress you will go from Chuck Norris to Kung fu Panda in an instant unless you have trained long and strong.

I am training In Aikido. There is a lot of hand to hand work and well as weapon take away and submission holds. It is very refined yet free form. No Competitions like other Martial Arts . I pay $80for  about 12 classes a month (3 classes a week) which works out to $6.67 a class. Brown bag Lunch those 3 days a week and take that 6.67 and make it happen, Look into your local YMCA and even some universities have classes open to the public. Please make sure they are a qualified instructors. Ask if you can sit in and observe a class, please be respectful while observing. Leave the phone off and snacks at home. Observe the group dynamic and Teacher student interaction. Also how the advanced students interact with newbs.   

This Link is one of the Aikido associations in the US      http://www.asu.org/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
Get in a few bar brawls.  Very little you can do in a gym actually sets you up for the aspects of a real fight.

Cool! I always wanted to start a bar fight!!  ::)

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »
** I got interupted too many times so I am not sure who I am replying to on this on**

Maybe the hardest thing for me to overcome was to try to hurt someone. Maybe with you guys it is different. But I am not so much wanting to go play rugby, hockey or football either.

A few years ago (about 12 by now I think) a friend in my SAR unit was teaching me self-defense when I asked him, as he used to be a MP in Vietnam and a sheriff later down the road. After a few basic things, he choked me. Like seriously choked me. Like I could not breathe choked me. I was in disbelief and shock. Before I passed out he released me and after I could breathe again and for quite awhile, I LOATHED him for doing that to me. He told me why he did it and I was mad enough not to listen to him at the time. Not long after and to this day I am actually kinda glad he did that. I now know what it is like to pretty much have to fight for your life and if you do nothing you will be dead.

From taking my classes, I knew the stat that most murder victims know their attacker. That incident of being choked also sunk that stat into my being. Fight back to disable as necessary and then get the heck out of Dodge. I must have learned my lesson as the net time we were practicing, I gave him a bloody nose.

Recently I started hand-to-hand knife fighting from someone who trains in it every 3 months for his job. Even as small as I am, it was interesting and a bit empowering to know I was moving a 300 pound guy around wherever I wanted him to go. (I was more careful of this instructor and no blood was involved this time).

So I think in my case MINDSET is the Basic fighting technique.

Cedar

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Maybe the hardest thing for me to overcome was to try to hurt someone.

I was reading when you posted, but came here to say this.  I have only been taking Krav for a month or so, but to me one of the hardest things to overcome is your conditioning not to hurt someone.  That is applicable to a vast majority of the population and something that has to legitimately be trained out of most of us.  Of course you can run into a psycho who has no regards for life on a rare occasion, but most people are going to be afraid of hurting and getting hurt. 

And I can't remember exactly how the saying goes, but it is something like you will always revert to your lowest level of training in an emergency situation or something like that.

The moral, train in something.

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
If you think of it in terms of ethics, then tactics, then technique, your fear of hurting someone diminishes greatly.

What is your goal? Is it to protect yourself or a loved one, or hurt the other guy? If your goal is to hurt the other guy, you're an idiot, IMO. If your goal is to protect yourself or a loved one, you've already placed the ethic as the highest order of personal defense. (Good for you, btw.)

When you have an ethical mindset, your tactics will change... they have to, organically. You will be less concerned with winning or engaging and more concerned with protecting and escaping (which manifests itself through your tactics). Once you understand that, the techniques you use will come naturally and you won't have to fear hurting someone inadvertently. So long as you keep ethics as the highest priority!

If someone attacks you, your mindset should be to protect - yourself AND the attacker, if possible. Unless the attacker is hell bent on killing you and there is absolutely no stopping him until you are dead, there is no need to go further than stopping the immediate danger and getting the hell out of dodge. If he just wants to show off to his girlfriend because he thinks you looked at her chest, there is no need to rip out his trachea. This isn't Roadhouse. It's not about ego or not backing down or any of that crap; it's about protecting self and others.