Author Topic: handgun suggestion for all season CCW  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
handgun suggestion for all season CCW
« on: December 17, 2011, 08:41:46 PM »
Like most of us, I am on a tight budget.  I am looking at CCW handguns and can only afford one right now.  I have read lots of posts on the net and talked to folks who have a hot weather gun and a cold weather gun.  This mostly has to do with carrying a bigger gun in cold weather and a smaller one in hot weather.

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of buying that many right now.  So what would be some good suggestions for an all season pistol, or revolver, for CCW?  For me I mostly wear shorts, T's and polos in the warmer months, hoodies and jeans in the cold months and sometimes a nice button down shirt and vest when I go out on the town in the cold months.

A Glock 19 fits my hand perfectly and J frames or LCR type revolvers I can get 2 fingers on.  Thanks for suggestions!
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: handgun suggestion for all season CCW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
I'll give you the same opinion I gave CarolinaHiker:

Now, I'm a 1911 guy, and have been my whole life.  But, I'm not going to recommend it.

I'm recommending the Smith & Wesson M&P9C (compact).  I had the opportunity a short while ago to fire an M&P9, and was instantly in love.

1. The grip just feels great, like it melts into my hand.  It comes with additional grip sizing thingies, so you can make it bigger or smaller to fit you.

2. The 9mm recoil was super manageable, enough so my 6 and 10 year olds couldn't get enough either.  They were accurate shooting it, and never lost control.  This will be critical for target re-acquisition, and for training.

3. Proven to be reliable, and S&W backs it's weapons if you were to have an issue.

4. Damn cheap!!  I'm looking hard at a M&P45C for tax return time, and that's $490 shipped.  A 9mm from Budsgunshop.com is $478 shipped.

5. They're just so dern pretty!!  Don't tell my 1911 I said that...  ;D
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:50:50 AM »
A lot more than dress should be considered. Things like where you live/travel. The nature of your job. Are you a public/famous figure? Do you live in Alaska and have grizzlies in you backyard? And, so on.

I know the idea is to be prepared for anything, but in all likelihood, if you look at statistics, you probably won't ever need to use your firearm. And, if you do, it will be a few shots—you won't be reloading.

But, that is just statistics. If that is your view, then a j-frame or LCR will probably server you well. If you are wearing clothes, you can conceal it. They are lightweight and can be dropped in a pocket for quick trips to the store (with a pocket holster).

About their only weakness is what happens if you need 6 shots. Speedloaders are bulky to carry and speed strips can be slow to reload.

Another commonly mentioned weakness (although I see it a the person's weakness not the firearm's) is they are a bit harder to shoot, so they will require more practice. But, if you are going to carry ANY firearm to have with you, to use in a situation where your life or the life of someone you love is on the line—you had better practice.

I you can live with these, then go for the snubbie.

If you feel you need more fire power, then my personal recommendation would be a compact (not sub-compact/mouse gun) auto. Something along the lines of the M&P 9C, Glock 19, etc.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »

I'm recommending the Smith & Wesson M&P9C (compact). 
X2
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
Sounds like you're going to be okay with just about anything based on your dress.  A G19 or even G26 are great options. 

I'm a dress shirt and slacks guy so am forced to carry a LCP.  What I have found is that I now carry it even when I'm in my weekend wear of jeans and untucked shirt.  The thing is so light and easy to carry, which means I can always carry it.  For a .380 pocket pistol it's very accurate and easy to shoot.  I am even able to carry a reload when I wear jeans in that little 5th pocket.

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »
My personal CCW guns are a Glock 19 and a Smith & Wesson 442.  With those 2 as options I can carry in just about anything but board shorts and flip flops.

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
My personal CCW guns are a Glock 19 and a Smith & Wesson 442.  With those 2 as options I can carry in just about anything but board shorts and flip flops.

+1

Those are my carry guns exactly. I carry the 442 more. Remman, if you don't mind me asking, what holster do you use for the G19?

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
+1

Those are my carry guns exactly. I carry the 442 more. Remman, if you don't mind me asking, what holster do you use for the G19?

G19 - OWB /Raven concealment  (0 cant, MD cut)
       - IWB /CompTac MTac

442 - Pocket carry - Desantis Nemesis

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
What ever it is that you decide, plan on sticking to one gun year around. The subtle differences in grip, trigger, pointability, etc., not to mention blast and recoil, could be enough to throw off your shot, even between guns of the same brand (J-frame v. K-frame Smith&Wesson, for example). You may not notice this on the range or while playing shooting games, but in a high stress SD situation you can't afford any awsh!+s.

Uh, Sequanti, "If you are wearing clothes, you can conceal it.": What if Nate is a Naturist? That would limit him to NAA Minis. With round butts. Oh, never mind........

soup
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline BRNWSHD

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
I'd go with the Ruger LC9. It's a touch over $300. If that's still too pricey, go with the Sccy CPX2, you can find one for right at $200. Both have lifetime warranty's and are made in the USA. I prefer the 9mm's to the .380's because of ammunition cost. I'm a big guy and these both fit me very well.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing you're right.
-Henry Ford

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
Lahr PM9. Easy to conceal in all situations.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
KTP3AT and / or G19

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
My experience is having a winter and summer gun, but I just went looking with a friend who wanted just one gun and the guns that stood out as very concealable, but big and robust enough to last a lifetime of shooting for fun would be the Glock 19, Glock 26, Springfiend XD compact, and XD Extreme.  Both the 26 and the XDs had the option of a longer magazine with a finger grip on it that made them feel like a full size gun at the range, but a shorter mag that would allow very low profile carry in the summer heat.

My friend went with the XD Extreme, but I'd say any of the four are very well worth a look.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
I carry a Glock 27 or Glock 23 depending on how concealed I want to be.

The gun that is right for you is the gun you are most comfortable shooting.
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
The gun that is right for you is the gun you are most comfortable shooting.

And humping around all day!   ;)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline BZHound

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
Any opinion on the Taurus Slim 7?
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »
I'm going to second taking a look at the Ruger LC9.  That will probably be my next carry gun.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
Considering cost, the Ruger SR9C is about the best balance of value size/shootability in a compact.  This is one compact that fits that middle ground between ease of carry and long term shooting and range time.   I'm still deciding on my new carry gun, and the SR9C is one that is on the top of my list.  I have carried a Ruger P85 Mark II full size duty pistol for 2 years in cheap drop in IWB holsters with nothing but shorts and a T shirt during the summer.   I don't care for the smaller guns, I'm really interested in the LC9 but after shooting an LCR a few times, I really don't want something that small, in a stress situation, that thing is going to be all over the place and its not "Fun" to shoot 200 rounds out of at the range or during a practice session of shoot and move drills.   As an emergency backup gun, yeah it will do just fine, but I just prefer a little more gun in my hand for day to day shooting.

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  Keep em' coming!  I have handled an LC9 but I could not engage the slide release AT ALL with my left hand.  I am a lefty.  It was just too stiff.  I had to switch to my right hand, pull the slide back slightly with my left hand, and then engage the slide release with my right thumb.  Not cool in my opinion.  The clerk at the gun store said it would get easier after its broken in.

I shot a smith 642 and an LCR yesterday at the range.  At 7 yards I was able to keep all 5 shots in the head area of a silhouette target with both guns.  The lcr had the laser sight and the darn thing was not aligned properly so I used the irons.  The dot was WAY to the right of the front sight.  Also the laser would smash my thumb on recoil.  I guess the laser is best for right handed shooters.  The smith was nice too.  One of these two guns might become my all season gun.

They had a sig p238 but someone was already shooting it when I got there.  Same thing with a G26. The sig felt good in my hand even though my pinkie was dangling in the wind.  I couldnt get as good of a grip on the g26 as I could the smith or LCR I shot.

I am still leaning towards a revolver because I feel the most comfortable with them.  Using a gun is a last resort and my AO is a very low risk area.  So, 5 well placed shots from a j frame or lcr should do the trick with proper ammo if necessary in all seasons.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline mwcoleburn

• Prepper
  • Gun Pusher
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:22 AM »
Ergonomics, ergonomics, ergonomics, in that order. Most of the compact offerings by the major companies are going to be accurate, enough. Light, enough and shoot well, enough. It really comes down to which gun feels the best in the hand and that you shoot well. I would say to hold back onb any offering by Ruger right now, their QC has been horrendous.
Matthew Coleburn
Coleburn Armory

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Any opinion on the Taurus Slim 7?

Honestly I love this handgun. For CC this is the perfect size and caliber. I say this because if you have to use it you are more than likely going to be close to your target and you can carry this almost anywhere on your body, easier to conceal and easier access. I think there is a pocket holster for this one that will fit in your front or back pocket.

I like my Taurus Slim 7 more than my Glock 39 45 cal.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Ergonomics, ergonomics, ergonomics, in that order. Most of the compact offerings by the major companies are going to be accurate, enough. Light, enough and shoot well, enough. It really comes down to which gun feels the best in the hand and that you shoot well. I would say to hold back onb any offering by Ruger right now, their QC has been horrendous.

mwc is spot on here. In a SD situation, you probably won't have the time to use the sights, so how the gun fits is of paramount importance. If you have enough time and distance to require sights, an unfriendly prosecutor could argue that you could have done something different....

IMHO, this is another argument in favor of the revolver - the choices in aftermarket grips is enormous - size, angles, covered or exposed back-strap, wood, plastic, hard or soft rubber, round butt to square butt, etc. You WILL find one to make the revolver an extension of your hand rather than something you're holding. With a semi-auto pistol, you are pretty much limited to what is there originally - the grip has to go around the magazine. True, you can get aftermarket grips for an auto, but you are still limited by the magazine size.

Ammunition, too, is another consideration. Self-shuckers need a certain minimum power of ammo to function reliably. If that level is uncomfortable to shoot - think trigger jerking and flinching here - you're stuck with it. Some small frame revolvers can handle everything from mild (but still effective) target loads through .357 Mag. (though I can't imagine why anyone would want to touch off one of those) without a hitch. You can tailor your choice in ammo to optimize holes in target.

As for lasers and other gizmos and geedaws - the money you spend on one of those will buy enough ammo to really become proficient at point shooting.

"I am still leaning towards a revolver because I feel the most comfortable with them.  Using a gun is a last resort and my AO is a very low risk area.  So, 5 well placed shots from a j frame or lcr should do the trick with proper ammo if necessary in all seasons."  Go with your gut - you will not be under-armed.

soup
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

----- Albert Einstein

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 03:39:13 AM »
I too, am very interested in the Taurus 709. But seeing as I don't have ANY pistols yet, it might be awhile till I carry, much less own a gun thats only good for CCW :(
JCM

"like so many others, wonders what heck is up with the inflatable goat thing"

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
I too, am very interested in the Taurus 709. But seeing as I don't have ANY pistols yet, it might be awhile till I carry, much less own a gun thats only good for CCW :(

What else would you use the handgun for? If you plan to eventually use it for CCW you need the experience/practice using it. Now given if you want more power there is the Taurus MODEL 740B .40 Cal or Taurus MODEL 740SS .40 Cal which are also Sub Compact Slim models. But beyond being happy with the Taurus Judge and Taurus 7 I can't completely speak for these.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »
What else would you use the handgun for?

Home defense, target shooting, competition, plinking, collecting, etc....

All i meant was that for me the 709 wouldn't serve much other purpose than CC for me, therefore I will probably be getting another 1 or 2 first- but its definitely on the list (dont we all have a list?)

Oh yeah, and theres also the money thing, and the wife who's (currently) afraid of handguns thing :(
JCM

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »
Home defense, target shooting, competition, plinking, collecting, etc....

All i meant was that for me the 709 wouldn't serve much other purpose than CC for me, therefore I will probably be getting another 1 or 2 first- but its definitely on the list (dont we all have a list?)

Oh yeah, and theres also the money thing, and the wife who's (currently) afraid of handguns thing :(

The thread was talking CCW specifically so you see where you lost me. But just because it's small doesn't mean you couldn't use it for those purposes except competition and the Taurus is very affordable. If you are going to get into competition models prepare to spend a lot more money.

As for the wife do what I did, buy her one first (her favorite color could help). Handgun classes geared to women may not be a bad idea either.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
Thats why I like the Ruger SR 9c,  It's small enough to be carried easily, but still fits the hands well and the extended magazine with grip extender gives it a full size handle for daily shooting if you wanna go put 200 rounds through i on a weekend.   I think your in the same boat I'm in.  I can't afford more than 1 gun and I want an all around use gun rather than a dedicated single purpose gun.  The Ruger fits that bill pretty well.
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
Thats why I like the Ruger SR 9c,  It's small enough to be carried easily, but still fits the hands well and the extended magazine with grip extender gives it a full size handle for daily shooting if you wanna go put 200 rounds through i on a weekend.   I think your in the same boat I'm in.  I can't afford more than 1 gun and I want an all around use gun rather than a dedicated single purpose gun.  The Ruger fits that bill pretty well.

thats exactly what i meant! thanks Doc-
I really like the 709, but its a few lines down on my wish list
JCM

Offline UA8

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
I'll echo Doc's recommendation of the Ruger SR9c and add that the trigger on it is great for a poly pistol.  I would stay away from the LC9 the trigger on that gun is horrible and it really does nothing better than any of the more proven designs out there.  Other guns to look at would be the g26 and Kahr CW9 if you would like to keep price down or PM9 if ya want all the fancyness.

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
I disagree.  The mantra should be reliability, reliability, reliability.  Saying that, these light automatics that are the rage these days are not the most reliable nor are they easy to shoot outside contact distance.