Author Topic: handgun suggestion for all season CCW  (Read 5112 times)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: handgun suggestion for all season CCW
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »
I disagree.  The mantra should be reliability, reliability, reliability.  Saying that, these light automatics that are the rage these days are not the most reliable nor are they easy to shoot outside contact distance.
I don't know about all the rage - I think CCW is becoming more common and openly discussed. 20 years ago every gun writer had a mantra "J Frame... Seecamp... J Frame... Seecamp" - but no one ever had a Seecamp for sale or knew anybody that actually had one. So capitalism works and the market steps in to provide supply for the demand.

I have not had a misfire, jam or malfunction out of my P3AT and I've carried it daily for over 3 years. I also shoot it once a month or  so. It's not a ton of fun to shoot recreationally.

As for shooting outside contact distance, you can't really have a legally defensible shooting outside 15-20 yards anyway - and I can get hits on at that range.

As for having one gun to do everything - a G19 will carry, compete, plink, HD and just plain shoot with anything out there.

Offline Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY)

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Probably doing it wrong
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:38 PM »
Every tool has a specific use period. On top of that everyone is going to have different needs. So all arguments aside find what works for you. Go to a store that has an indoor range and go have some fun.

If nothing else you have an excuse to save up and buy more than one toy.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Interesting discussion so far everyone.  I agree with the reliability aspect of a ccw pistol.  I must trust it to go bang every time.  I am leaning more towards a revolver with this criteria.  I wish there was a revolver as small as an lcp or p3at....in a caliber larger than 22.  I would really be interested in one if there was one that small.

Going back to automatics, anyone have experience with diamondback firearms?  Gunblast did a favorable review as did a few other sites.  I notice they now have added a small 9mm to their product line. 
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
I'm pretty middle of the road.  While ergonomics are great, they are a distant second to reliability. 

That said, the M&P9 Compact is about as reliable as a Glock 26, but can be fitted to the shooter, and isn't shaped like a brick.  SO it might work better for some.  But if someone has a full-sized 9mm Glock as their "duty" gun, the compatibility and similar ergos of the 26 would trump the nice M&P back straps.

After determining acceptable reliability, then shop for other features.

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
A kahr cw series or a cm9 should do the trick. Having a variety of different types of holsters will take you miles in the direction of year round carry. Just make sure to practice with all of them. I have three and aside from going places that Michigan doesn't allow carry I never leave it at home.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
Well I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I guess I'll chime in now.
I've had a CWP for over 28 years, but I never started carrying "all the time" until about 5 years ago.
After a few "events" that either affected me and mine, or close friends/neighbors, I decided it was time to start carrying 24/7. At the time I had several handguns, but found none of them suited to my needs.
I had, and still have a XD45Compact, but found that I had a hard time keeping it comfortably concealed, especially in warm weather. I also have a S+W Airweight, but I found even with that I still had to change the way I dressed. Back the Ruger hadn't even started making the LCP yet, not to mention the LCR. I ended up going with the P3AT. I might ad that I made the decision to go with the P3AT because of several factors, not the least of which was a personal recommendation from Ron Hood. I was looking for the smallest, most powerfull handgun that I could conceal no matter how I was dressed. After a few posts on the hoodums forum, and a couple of PMs, Ron actually called me up to talk about it. That's just the type of guy Ron was. He didn't know me from a hole in the ground, but he took the time to not only give me his opinion, but to do it over the phone.
He was indeed right about the little Keltec. I've been carrying one every day for several years now, and so has my wife. When I bought the second one, I could've bought the newly released Ruger LCP for the same price, but I'd had zero issues with the 1st P3AT so I bought a second one.
They may seem a little cheesy, and they are no tack driver, but they are reliable and a purpose built tool.
That being said, none of the guns mentioned in this thread are "bad choices" in my opinion. If you're not going to carry "all the time", or you can pull off carrying a bigger weapon, then that's exactly what you should do. Just remember, the choice you're making is a serious one, and this is the internet.
Most internet advice (including mine) can and should be taken with a grain of salt. For every EDC/CCW recommendation you get for a pocket 380 you'll get one for a 8" barreled model29 in 44mag ;D

It really is your choice, and only you know what your expectations really are.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
Interesting discussion so far everyone.  I agree with the reliability aspect of a ccw pistol.  I must trust it to go bang every time.  I am leaning more towards a revolver with this criteria.  I wish there was a revolver as small as an lcp or p3at....in a caliber larger than 22.  I would really be interested in one if there was one that small.
I'm still trying to figure out your bias toward revolvers in terms of reliability.  I don't think there's any police departments, sheriff's offices, federal law enforcement agencies or military organizations that still have doubts about the reliability of good quality modern semi-automatics.  It's hard to find any law enforcement or military organization that still uses a revolver.

If you just prefer the look or feel of a revolver I can get that, but to me the reliability of nearly every gun mentioned on this thread is unquestionable.  So long as you're steering clear of things like the Jennings .22 and other cheap, known crap and stick to brands you see used by professionals (either on or off the job), you're likely to never have a single failure with the right ammunition.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
I see his point, and I understand. I was a revolver guy for many years. And not just revolvers, but revolvers with exposed hammers. If I could carry the old Airweight as easy as I could carry the P3AT that's what I'd be doing.
But....I can't. ;)

I'm at ease with the small autos now. Even when I have a bigger gun on me, I still have my 380.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"