Author Topic: Cast Iron Grill Pan  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Herew

• Survivor
Cast Iron Grill Pan
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
Does anyone have one? My wife and I got one as a wedding gift and I'm not sure I'm treating it right. I've seasoned it with bacon grease and clean it like my skillet. Is there something else I need to do?

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
Re: Cast Iron Grill Pan
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »
I use mine all the time, just like any other CI piece.  I pretty much only use the flat side though, not for any particular reason, just do.  So yes, just like a big, square skillet.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »
Well, there are LOTS of articles and threads on here about cast iron, but I consider Paul Wheaton's article to be one of the best, here is the link http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp

Offline cliffyp

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
+1 for Paul Wheaton. Any time someone asks me about getting into cast iron (I'm always advocating for it), I direct them to Paul's article and his YouTube channel. He has a great video about bringing a cast iron back to life.

devildoc

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:16 PM »
been meaning to get this and a dutch oven but dang things cost so much ...

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Don't know where you are, but the cheapest retail CI I've found so far is Academy Sports here in San Antonio.  Last time I was there, they had a GIANT camping stove (like, 10-12qts) for around $80; bigger that the ones they have online.  All their CI was really well priced.  I'd have bought more, but if I brought home another piece of CI right now, I think my bride would lose it!