Author Topic: Cast iron pics  (Read 5082 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Cast iron pics
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:02:06 AM »
I figure that with the shows about it and the holidays just past that I'm probably not the only one that added items to the cast iron collection.

Here's what I have at the moment.  It isn't that much, but prior to Summer, all I had was the griddle.  We bought the 14" skillet in October.  In November, I added the 8" skillet.  My MIL gave me that little square skillet and I have a bacon press that isn't shown.

I'm planning on getting a dutch oven to use while camping, but haven't made that purchase yet.

So come on, share some pics.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Cast iron pics
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
Nice!!  I like cooking with cast iron, especially dutch oven meals but only when tail gate camping since they are so heavy. Nice picture too. :)

Offline Jonathon January

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
is that a . . .  grilled cheese?   

[homer simpson voice]    mmmmmm grrrillled cheeeese

Offline Cianaodh

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Temple Of the Standing Stones
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
Whoah! Very nice. I have my eyes on a cast iron griddle I saw on Amazon that I hope to order this year.

I figure that with the shows about it and the holidays just past that I'm probably not the only one that added items to the cast iron collection.

Here's what I have at the moment.  It isn't that much, but prior to Summer, all I had was the griddle.  We bought the 14" skillet in October.  In November, I added the 8" skillet.  My MIL gave me that little square skillet and I have a bacon press that isn't shown.

I'm planning on getting a dutch oven to use while camping, but haven't made that purchase yet.

So come on, share some pics.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
is that a . . .  grilled cheese?   

[homer simpson voice]    mmmmmm grrrillled cheeeese
Of course.  That's a single sandwich pan.  That's the reason that it won't be used all that often, I usually make at least 2.

Nice!!  I like cooking with cast iron, especially dutch oven meals but only when tail gate camping since they are so heavy. Nice picture too. :)
We have a popup camper, so we always car camp.  I'll just have to learn how to make stuff in it.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
Here are some of mine that I use more often (I have more in storage, and I did not include my sad-irons, grinders, cherry pitter, bacon presses, etc.):

Most of these (above) came from grandmothers and great-grandmother.  All of the cast iron I have is made in the USA, with almost all of it being either Griswold or Wagner and 50+ years old. No lodge or china stuff. 

These three also came from grandmother.

A couple of these are additions from an auction (it was freezing rain with few attendees so I got them at a price that was just too good to pass up), and as you can see, they need to be re-seasoned.  I'm going to try to get to that in the next couple of weeks.  BTW, the reason they are on the wall (put up via Hercules Hooks - love those things!) is simply because I a tiny kitchen and have no cabinet space for them. Besides, this way they are so much easier to grab whenever I need one.  ;D

These are some more from the auction that still need to be re-seasoned - although I don't look forward to doing the two waffle irons (anyone have any tips?).  This pic was taken after I got home and that is my wood cook stove (has warming ovens and water reservoir) that my new purchases are sitting on.  :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »

I just found these in my MIL's basement.
I bought a Griswold #8 off of ebay recently and getting it reseasoned by using it alot.
I also have a Lodge bacon press and a couple of cheap smaller china cast iron skillets.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
I just found these in my MIL's basement.

A water kettle is one thing I don't have (and want).  Oh, and I forgot about these...hidden in plain site.  The top one is was grandma's.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »
Wow, LibertyBelle, that's quite a collection.  I like those dutch ovens.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
We got tired of moving the skillets around on the stove for when they weren't being used.  So I put up a couple shelves in the kitchen and put some hooks on the wall.  Here's the new home for my modest collection.

And yeah, I hate that tile on the wall.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
We got tired of moving the skillets around on the stove for when they weren't being used.  So I put up a couple shelves in the kitchen and put some hooks on the wall.

I like them on the wall better anyway. :)  I love your pizza peel...I'm seriously gonna have to get one.  I've got tile on my kitchen walls, too.  It's ecru in color and if we were planning on staying I'll tear it all down and take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, too. But I'll leave it for the next owner to decide. ;)

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
The newest Dutch Oven News (I think?) magazine just had an article on cleaning the rust off of your cast iron. I read it an gave it away but it was something like putting some alfalfa or alfalfa pellets in a container and placing the cast iron in with it. I will ask the guy to loan the magazine back to me if anyone wants the article info.
Nice stuff folks.
M

Offline Jonathon January

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »
The newest Dutch Oven News (I think?) magazine just had an article on cleaning the rust off of your cast iron. I read it an gave it away but it was something like putting some alfalfa or alfalfa pellets in a container and placing the cast iron in with it. I will ask the guy to loan the magazine back to me if anyone wants the article info.
Nice stuff folks.
M

please