Author Topic: Rice milk!!  (Read 5642 times)

Offline ORherbalmed

• Prepper
    • small space survival
Rice milk!!
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:09:40 AM »
The lady of the house has converted me.

We started out with one container. She pointed out how cheap it was and how long the shelf life is, you never need to refrigerate until after you open it but even then you only have to keep it cool.

It's got a nice shelf life and is easy to rotate out.

I have now had it in
Mashed Potatoes
Macaronie N cheese
My cerial
and now even my coffee

Like Jack I have to have my coffee

The regular original rice milk is also just sweet enough I no longer have to add sugar to my coffee, plus it does not have the negative side effects of Soy milk.
What do you all think. 

idahobob

Re: Rice milk!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »
We tried it, but we converted over to Almond Milk about 3 years ago.

With the diet that we were and are currently on, we need to avoid dairy and we have totally gotten away from ANYTHING that has to do with soy.

Bob
III

Offline ORherbalmed

• Prepper
    • small space survival
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:46:56 PM »
I have not tried almost milk yet.  Does it have a decent shelf life as well?

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »
I love irritating the members of our food co-op by always calling it rice juice.  I was being corrected constantly until I started asking to be shown the rice nipples.

;D

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:42:56 AM »
I have not tried almost milk yet.  Does it have a decent shelf life as well?

Almost milk? lol.  I assume you meant almond milk from the question above.  Almond milk is similar to rice milk in that it does not require refrigeration until opened and has a good shelf life.  I'm not sure if it as long as rice milk, but the flavor of almond milk is pretty good.  You can get different flavors.  The vanilla flavor is sweetened a little and has a good enough flavor my kids will drink it over regular milk.  The plain is a little bland but for cereal or coffee (i cringe as i type that since i cannot understand why people ruin coffee by putting stuff in it  ;) )it should do well.  One downside is after opening you are supposed to use it fairly quickly.

Offline vgun

• Prepper
  • Born to be riled
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
I haven't used cow milk in over 30 years. We use rice milk most of the time and soymilk sometimes.
Rice milk works great for all recipes and I'm actually consuming some right now with my Cherrios.

I get it by the case at Costco.
Good long shelf life. Square boxes make for good stacking.
 Rice , soy or almond milk also doesn't contain anti biotics,hormones or blood and pus like you get with cow milk

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:38:17 PM »
I've been using it for a year or so, since I discovered I can't tolerate milk anymore (including the lactose-free kind).  (Soy and nut milks don't agree with me either.)

The packaged stuff is nice storage food (although pretty low in protein).  But I've been wanting to try making my own, just because it's annoying to spend so much for a box of water with a little rice flour.

Google brings up a zillion recipes.

Here's a text file with a couple dozen recipes.

And here's an extra-thick one with added rice protein.

I've got no clue whether any of these can be canned for storage -- I'll probably just rely on the commercially-made rice milk for that.

Offline ORherbalmed

• Prepper
    • small space survival
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
Thank you Mr.Bill

I'm going to try this some time this week.

amanadoo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:37:03 AM »
I love irritating the members of our food co-op by always calling it rice juice.  I was being corrected constantly until I started asking to be shown the rice nipples.

;D

This, is hilarious.

I really enjoy rice milk, but only as a beverage in and of itself. I'll keep raw milk for "milk-y" use. For preps, though, it doesn't get much better than rice milk. Great idea.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
Rice , soy or almond milk also doesn't contain anti biotics,hormones or blood and pus like you get with cow milk

Eeeewwwww!  Now I'll be staring at my milk as I drink it.  Might have to try rice or almond.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:27:36 AM »
Out of curiosity, did anyone of you folks that switched to rice milk have any, shall we say "digestive" issues after switching?

Offline cougar

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »
Out of curiosity, did anyone of you folks that switched to rice milk have any, shall we say "digestive" issues after switching?
Personally only good issues.  Regular milk is difficult for many folks to digest.  Depending on your ancestry you may or may not have the enzymes to digest cow milk.  Rice milk, on the other hand, is plant based and tends not to cause those problems.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

I switched because of digestive issues with cow milk.  Rice milk might maybe give me a bit of constipation, but mostly I have no problem with it.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
I switched because of digestive issues with cow milk.  Rice milk might maybe give me a bit of constipation, but mostly I have no problem with it.

Thanks for the responses. Without giving too much detail, I discovered that my "digestive issues" were not a problem or effect of rice milk.

collegeb

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
Sometimes I find soy milk at big lots in the hermetic packaging for real cheap. Once or twice I've found oat or rice milk also. I can see storing this stuff but I open it up and drink it way before I might need it for an emergency. There is also tofu in similar packaging, and juice. What other foods come packaged like the rice milk?